Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

I think Duke Energy is working through 2 rate increases in NC right now in Raleigh and they dont want this to be a distraction. (and don't worry Duke does not provide my electricity) However that doesn't change the situation with their office space needs. They are building buildings in the University Research Park now and lease a lot of 400 South Tryon which I was told several years ago they want to move out of. Not sure if Wells wants to expand in their OWN building Duke Energy Center or not which could be pushing them out of their namesake tower. I think it is a big reshuffling going on with their space needs and the desire to be in a building they own. 

If I was a shareholder which I am not I would be asking Duke why did they buy this land if not to develop their own space on it. It is always cheaper to own than rent and it makes sense to build a Duke owned and occupied tower. Stay tuned something is in the works or at the next annual meeting of shareholders they will have to explain why they are getting into the land speculation business.  (which of course I dont believe they are)  This is a site for a future office building from 10-100 stories no doubt in my mind and more likely 20-40 stories. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, EngineerCLT said:

On a related note, a mineshaft was encountered while test drilling for 300 South Tryon.  There was a void from about 60 to 90 feet below the street grade.  

This is cool, is there some place this is documented (that is publicly accessible - of course)?

Edited by Scribe

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

Anyone know if they work with LITTLE on this if they can just reuse the original Tryon Place design. Seeing that old photo on the other chain reminded how great the first iteration looked. It would be a shame for it to go unused.

I would like to see a cylindrical building personally. Something like the 2 buildings in the left here in Madrid. DEC is literally between the height of the two towers on the left. I doubt they'll build anything nearly the size of DEC. but I still like those designs 

151_cuatro-torres-business-area-de-madri

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I would like to see a cylindrical building personally. Something like the 2 buildings in the left here in Madrid.

151_cuatro-torres-business-area-de-madri

I would too! Maybe something like the Atlanta Westin. A cylindrical building like that would look nice at the Duke Data Center location. It could be Charlotte's 1000 room hotel.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 2

Anyone know if they work with LITTLE on this if they can just reuse the original Tryon Place design. Seeing that old photo on the other chain reminded how great the first iteration looked. It would be a shame for it to go unused.

It's really not an efficient design, the original. I doubt we'd see it reused. I also think Duke had the second of the four designs we've seen, that was slightly boxier than the original. The 35 floor Duke tower that was described to me sounds nothing like Tryon Place. Sounds like it'd be around the same height as Legacy Union though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm willing to bet $5 the architect will be TVS Design out if Atlanta.

It's supposed to be very similar in materials, lines, designs and textures as DEC, so I'm assuming the same. This also makes me feel as though DUKE still keeps its presence at DEC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It's supposed to be very similar in materials, lines, designs and textures as DEC, so I'm assuming the same. This also makes me feel as though DUKE still keeps its presence at DEC.

I thought that it was going to be essentially a box?  Had this the design changed?

It sounds good either way.

When 509 is announced, I would expect that the 526 South Church as well as the data center on College will be abandoned.  I could see a convention center hotel on the data center site, and the South Church site as an extension to the Union Legacy project, totally remaking a foreboding area around the BOA Stadium come to life.  I could also envision another SREE type hotel going in by the Duke parking garage.

• Like 1

Duke Energy's space totals 500,000 sq ft in Duke Energy Center owned by Wells Fargo. 

From the article from article in 2009 Duke will occupy floors 15 through 22 and 36-48.  Question does anyone know the length of this lease? Was it 10 years and that would be 2019.  The reason this could be relevant is that the new Duke anchored tower on the land they purchased would need to start soon if they are going to move out of some of this space at DEC.   Wells may backfill this space and that would be far cheaper than building a new high rise uptown.   I guess I am very interested in the term of that lease and could a high rise be built in 2 years time with above ground parking? 

Here is the 2009 article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/02/23/daily43.html  I also think some of their office space in 400 South Tryon would be not extended either and moving some of those employees to this new tower.    It is a giant game of chess. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 8:53 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

DEC is pretty much a box. Until it gets to the handle 

Yes, but Rick said that the top is flat, but for some sort of antennas or something at the parapet.  I believe he mentioned that there won't be a handle.

As I recall, he stated that this will essentially be a box, though very slightly more adventurous than Tryon Place.

I guess what we can count on is simply more density.

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, but Rick said that the top is flat, but for some sort of antennas or something at the parapet.  I believe he mentioned that there won't be a handle.

As I recall, he stated that this will essentially be a box, though very slightly more adventurous than Tryon Place.

I guess what we can count on is simply more density.

I think it'll be taller than more density. Its supposed to be a box, embellished with each corner raised to a point, basically. Thats how it was described. Haven't seen a rendering yet. 

6 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

I could dig that. I hope they don’t go too matchy-matchy with the style and materials though. Nothing annoys me more in a skyline than a “complex” of buildings

True

01sl1.jpg

I wonder if the "points" would look like the point DEC makes when viewed from the south. I just hope they use different colored glass but designs that borrow from DEC. Or just play off the design like Hearst & BOA Corp. do (looks like a queen and King to me)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

True

01sl1.jpg

I wonder if the "points" would look like the point DEC makes when viewed from the south. I just hope they use different colored glass but designs that borrow from DEC. Or just play off the design like Hearst & BOA Corp. do (looks like a queen and King to me)

I instantly thought of the GM headquarters when I read AuLukey's post before yours. That building is a skyline killer. Now, something with the lines of the Devon tower would not hurt my feelings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it'll be taller than more density. Its supposed to be a box, embellished with each corner raised to a point, basically. Thats how it was described. Haven't seen a rendering yet. 

When you describe it as a box  with each corner raised to a point, I surmise that the shape will look almost identical to PPG Place.

IMG_1499.JPG

When you describe it as a box  with each corner raised to a point, I surmise that the shape will look almost identical to PPG Place.

IMG_1499.JPG.a5d21504300ed28f9297ab5cf8a8d89e.JPG

Personally I'm imagining more of a M to match the points of DEC