Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

16 minutes ago, FreeOpinions said:

Foundation would take a month or two.   If they have underground parking then several months to many months.  

I believe there's only one floor underground parking, at most. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

So this might be above-ground in November or December?

not sure the construction method yet, so no clue. I wonder if they will do precast double tees like DEC1

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59c91fb8f7e0ab097112fbc4/t/5b552d548a922d868efc5e2b/1532308820745/4.+Duke+energy+Center.pdf

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Clemson16 said:

First day with no parking allowed on the lot. Just 3 personal vehicles for construction workers. 

622AC335-1C94-44B1-A640-B71B1F50AC67.jpeg

I know they had a rig out there doing test drills. Now that there is no more parking allowed presumably they can bore the rest of the column and elevator locations to determine foundation barring depths. Or dig a big hole to hide coal ash, hehehe. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DamicoKaren said:

Bumping this up... I'm interested to know as well. 

Publicly? No. But I know its a floor further below grade from Tryon Street. So I'd imagine Street Level Retail, Deck Ingress/Egress.

Knowing TVS, I bet there's some signature stairs leading to a covered retail arcade/breezway that creates some separation between it and the historic church. I'd also bet my bottom dollar on solar panels.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Publicly? No. But I know its a floor further below grade from Tryon Street. So I'd imagine Street Level Retail, Deck Ingress/Egress.

Knowing TVS, I bet there's some signature stairs leading to a covered retail arcade/breezway that creates some separation between it and the historic church. I'd also bet my bottom dollar on solar panels.

Solar panels make sense for many reasons, including the fact that NC is a leader in the solar farm industry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Solar panels make sense for many reasons, including the fact that NC is a leader in the solar farm industry.

Solar Panels for a building this size are a joke.  They only are used to contribute to LEED points but offer no real energy contribution to the grid.  

Its more of an advertisement for green energy or to satisfy the greenie beanies. 

• Like 4

Solar Panels for a building this size are a joke.  They only are used to contribute to LEED points but offer no real energy contribution to the grid.  
Its more of an advertisement for green energy or to satisfy the greenie beanies. 

Well it’ll power a pretty elaborate lighting scheme [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, JSquare said:

Solar + battery storage = night power

While admittedly that is a solution in specific scenarios the likelihood of that being installed for the sole purpose of powering the exterior lighting has a almost a zero chance. 

1. Cloudy or rainy days won’t sufficiently charge the batteries to power the system.

2.  The size of the system would likely not be large enough to supply all the energy required.

3. Grid power is more stable and consistent so that will be the preferred choice for such a high profile element of the building.  

4. There is a lot more systems in place than just batteries to get the electricity from the panels to the exterior lighting.  

• Like 1

ATS (automatic transfer switch) is used to switch from battery power to grid power if battery power is insufficient. 

A lot of people on this site are in the construction industry. Please do not spout opinions and act like they are facts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JSquare said:

ATS (automatic transfer switch) is used to switch from battery power to grid power if battery power is insufficient. 

A lot of people on this site are in the construction industry. Please do not spout opinions and act like they are facts. 

Knowing what something can do and when you should use it are two different things.

All buildings with generators have an ATS.  Which is every large office building in CLT.

I applaud all the people in the construction industry on this site.  If anyone would like to share some facts please do, they are more than welcome to.  

If your going to call me out on something at least state what was said that you don’t agree with because we can’t have a discussion that generalizes everything.

I’m willing to learn, and that is a fact.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, NotSoAlien said:

They completed the fence yesterday and were marking stuff on the ground. I wont be there today to take pictures. If anything changes Monday I will upload some shots but until ground gets broken I will probably stop uploading fence pictures :).

IMG_20190502_110237275_HDR.thumb.jpg.b2d6457474649fcdc78b2b260c8ed548.jpg

IMG_20190502_110339521_HDR.thumb.jpg.d76f46760ca29ef30c42a7473f40e61c.jpg

I hope that this is at least 10 stories above ground when the RNC occurs next year.  Is that potentially feasible?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hope that this is at least 10 stories above ground when the RNC occurs next year.  Is that potentially feasible?

Typical office floors pour 1 floor a week (assuming cast in place) avg at this size.  The lower floors appear to be much larger.” though.

• Like 1