Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

19 minutes ago, dxartist said:

Big news coming from Duke Energy some time this week that I can't share with you (yeah I'm a Duke Employee).  Stay tuned.

If you get the info from elsewhere, kudos to you.

Some little company in California wants it's second tallest building between Georgia and Pennsylvania back. Everything happens for a reason. :tw_open_mouth:

Edited by #1Son
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, dxartist said:

Big news coming from Duke Energy some time this week that I can't share with you (yeah I'm a Duke Employee).  Stay tuned.

If you get the info from elsewhere, kudos to you.

This?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/15/an-activist-investor-may-urge-duke-energy-to-get-back-to-basics.html

358CDEA4-2078-496A-B061-56591184D548.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1

This will open up redevelopment opportunities at 525 Church Street and 401 College could become a convention center hotel. We'll need other tenants to express interest in Uptown office space though to make up for a major tenant significantly decreasing their footprint.

Uptown needs to accelerate towards a mixed-use neighborhood too. Duke is making a bold move towards hybrid work models (along with many other employers). If more employers do this, it will reduce overall demand for the transit system's Center City focus. We need a transit system that addresses how people LIVE in addition to how they work.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

from Ashley Fahey twitter about the Duke Energy moves:

""Duke occupies about 491,000 square feet, or 21 floors, at Duke Energy Center. At Piedmont Town Center in SouthPark, which it's also exiting, it occupies about 144,000 square feet"

the question is will Wells Fargo back fill this space in a building they own the current DEC?  Or will it go out in the leasing market?  Duke is also emptying out of 400 South Tryon and their 2 older buildings on S Church to be sold (that was previously known)  What has changed is Duke moving their execs to the new Duke Energy Plaza aka Metro tower. 

with all these shifts there is ample office space uptown that might prevent any new towers being started there for a while.   remember the current Duke Energy Center was built for Wachovia's HQ before they were sold off to Wells.  

from the Biz Journal article 

Duke Energy tower under construction will be Charlotte-based utility company's new HQ - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

as for a new convention hotel I still think the best spot is next to convention center on the Duke Energy data center site they are also emptying..  And until conventions and meetings come back to life this is years off.  

• Like 4

More on this Duke Energy space needs (for those asking the question will companies reduce their square footage of office space) here is an answer from one of Charlotte's largest employers:

""This, combined with other real estate moves, will bring Duke's office space in Charlotte from 2.5M square feet to 1M square feet, which is the size of Duke Energy Plaza (the name of the 40-story tower underway).""   Ashley Fahey Twitter 

from Duke Energy themselves major space reduction in the city:

New plaza in Uptown Charlotte to become Duke Energy’s corporate headquarters | Duke Energy | News Center (duke-energy.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

This will open up redevelopment opportunities at 525 Church Street and 401 College could become a convention center hotel. We'll need other tenants to express interest in Uptown office space though to make up for a major tenant significantly decreasing their footprint.

Uptown needs to accelerate towards a mixed-use neighborhood too. Duke is making a bold move towards hybrid work models (along with many other employers). If more employers do this, it will reduce overall demand for the transit system's Center City focus. We need a transit system that addresses how people LIVE in addition to how they work.

Could it affect the Panthers given 525 Church bldg is cat-corner from BofA stadium?

On 4/21/2021 at 4:07 PM, Yo Diaz! said:

Good word friend.
What work will you be doing there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I'm horrible at replying since I don't log in an post a whole lot (Just lurk around every now and again).  I can't tell you specifically what I do, but essentially I do IT work that allows me to see the floor plans.

Anyway, I knew the Charlotte Metro Tower name was being updated to Duke Energy Plaza after being informed at meeting about month ago or something like that.  So many changes I can't keep up with them at times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, j-man said:

I just added them. 

4DEA63A9-02CF-4DEC-8BC1-9097E872A164.jpeg

Weren’t there supposed to be solar panels all inside the top of this?  I swear saw them  in another rendering somewhere.  I get the video wall and tapered glass panels getting VE’d, but I’d be surprised to see the solar gone, just for the symbolism if nothing else.  Maybe there’s something I’m missing. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1