Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

A Duke employee told me last week that Duke plans to move out of the current headquarters and eventually demolish the power building or whatever the old headquarters is called. He made no mention of height but it sounds like a consolidation to one big headquarters building. Considering egos, why would Duke move into a shorter, less iconic building than their current leased headquarters?

• Like 2

This might be sexist of me to say. But when I think of building taller skyscrapers based on ego, I think of older white greyhaired men 

it would be cool if Duke entered into a dick measuring contest with a female CEO and those amazing scarfs she wears.  Get the Crutchfield/McColl treatment. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Since Duke owns the old HQ building/land...would it be out of the realm to think Duke could sell that lot they bought to the city for their convention hotel/expansion and build their new tower where the old one currently sits?  Like Dmann stated though...that lot regardless is going to be prime real estate, tons of potential! 

So if Duke builds the tallest building in Charlotte on this site + all of the development on Stonewall + the possibility of another large tower at the old Duke site....  It's possible that the Stonewall view becomes the new skyline and could almost erase the BofA tower from the skyline.    

Screenshot 2018-05-29 09.57.43.png

• Like 1

You mean we might lose this gem of a brutalist  building on S Church ?   In terms of BofA they own the corporate center tower not likely to leave it for a new tower anytime soon.  They are pushing tenants out as we have talked about to take more and more occupancy there.  As I stated earlier Duke Energy the largest investor utility in the country has no corporately owned tower outside of this one on S Church that was built in the 1970s.  

• Like 1

Not to be a wet blanket, but....

The current real estate environment reminds me of 2008 minus the NINJA loans.  I was looking at a house last month and it had 20 bids within three days and sold for almost 20% over list; I wasn't even close.  Granted, residential != commercial,  but we're almost at 2008 levels of median income to real estate valuations, with no signs of slowing down.

Any chance this thing gets shelled in an economic downturn or are we at a place where this has to get built regardless?  It wasn't so long ago that Trump, Epicenter 1.0, One Charlotte were coming, nor that long since The Park sat empty for years.

^^^ this is not about high rise for sale condos.  This is office space and if Duke wants to consolidate their office space into a tower they own that is much better for them in the long run financially.  And I am sure they are thinking long time.   if you look at the buildings uptown under construction all are 65/70% pre leased like Tryon Place or Legacy.  Office developers have been very restrained in this market.

In terms of houses, there is a shortage of homes under $250K -300K in this region and that is not changing in the foreseeable future. Why? No inventory of homes are being built in that price range or very limited so the existing supply of homes in that price range is not growing even though that is the biggest market of buyers are in that price range.  Over $600K+ I would say those are increasing maybe a little too much and that market is not as competitive as the lower  price ranges.  Charlotte unfortunately is getting to become a more expensive place to live however entry level housing is now tough all over the country due to materials cost, land costs, and government regulations etc. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

The current real estate environment reminds me of 2008 minus the NINJA loans. 

Minus the NINJA loans is obviously a big difference.  That said, agree it is getting crazy.  I doubt we will see the likes of 2008 any time soon but a correction is definitely coming and it will impact Charlotte.  For those of us looking to buy real estate, it won't necessarily be a bad thing (at least in that regard).  I will look at the next downturn as a big buying opportunity (I wasn't liquid last time but I am now).  

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1