Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919.

The Devon Tower is elegant in its simplicity, so just because it's not gonna look like a PPG knockoff doesn't give me pause; I just hope they don't go cheap on materials and build a Toronto/London/downtown Boston eyesore.

I'm certain it'll be glass curtain.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Just what CLT needs!  Seems like there's some chatter that it's gonna get shorter but IIRC you called it to get taller.  WHO IS RIGHT? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I think it started around 670', was shortened to around 550' and now we might be somewhere around 600'. 

17 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it started around 670', was shortened to around 550' and now we might be somewhere around 600'. 

Well, if the rumor holds (slight increase over 39 stories), 600’ would point to an elimination of a prominent roof element.

43 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm certain it'll be glass curtain.

Which reminds me of this article. 

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/05/04/blue-glass-pleated-khaki-facades-new-york-stone-concrete-brick-skyscrapers/amp/

"Blue glass is the pleated khaki of facades," Pasquarelli told Dezeen. "While some are spectacular, many glass facades have become a default design solution, usually when the client or the architect is out of ideas."

Edited by Matthew.Brendan

42 minutes ago, Dale said:

Well, if the rumor holds (slight increase over 39 stories), 600’ would point to an elimination of a prominent roof element.

well I 100% have to defer to @cmett003 and @DMann, I haven't heard or seen anything from this project in probably 12 months. I'm on the outside with everyone else. Though I'm trying to work my way inside somehow.

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Which reminds me of this article. 

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/05/04/blue-glass-pleated-khaki-facades-new-york-stone-concrete-brick-skyscrapers/amp/

"Blue glass is the pleated khaki of facades," Pasquarelli told Dezeen. "While some are spectacular, many glass facades have become a default design solution, usually when the client or the architect is out of ideas."

Greg Pasquarelli's firm is one of the best architecture groups in the world.  I'm only familiar with their work on supertall structures in NY like 111 W 57th, 45 Broad, and 9 DeKalb, and the non-supertall but spectacular, twisting twin American Copper Buildings.  Personally, I'd like to see them design a tower in Charlotte.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

okay, I was able to get some extra insight. Basically these represent the two options cmett was talking about.  Excuse the poor drawings, just wanted to give a clear idea without showing anything confidential. Not sure what Option 3 would look like

image.thumb.png.f68db46431d43a0abc84fc912f500e62.png

EDIT: Sexied up the first version a bit to match the tower better

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, EllAyyDub said:

Thanks for the mock-up.  Quite a difference between a Salesforce/Gherkin hybrid and a PPG Place copy/paste.   I hope they choose to use darker materials and don't go full class curtain.  I would love a copper patina facade.

The fudge you think this is 57th St?  Naw bruh, it's cornflower blue all the way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

I don’t get why, with all the talk going taller, not shorter, why the shorter redesign ?

So the second one aligns more with what I heard last year, so I'd imagine the more iconic one is even older. Dmann said they are still redesigning, and what they've announced thus far is taller than the shorter version though, only by 3 or so floors.