Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

3 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

If it's a box, I'd like to see something like Brookfield Place in Calgary: 

Or do curved edges count as complex? lol

Anyhow, I like the curves, the glass and the crown: classy but not splashy.

If this is the box they are going would go with that wouldn't be bad. Just add a little something to the top for some drama. lol But what if it is that thin and really tall.... then there would be so much more room for  development. aka hotel!

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

oooo I like that. Its classy. I'd take this for Duke. 

woah woah wait! were't we just talking about how Charlotte doesn't do thin buildings....this is nice but looks similar to those NYC condos lol

18 minutes ago, j-man said:

woah woah wait! were't we just talking about how Charlotte doesn't do thin buildings....this is nice but looks similar to those NYC condos lol

Thats 810 feet tall. Its not thin. Its still girthy. Its 1.4M sq feet in 56 floors. Its a fat building.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thats 810 feet tall. Its not thin. Its still girthy. Its 1.4M sq feet in 56 floors. Its a fat building.

But I doubt they would do this type of thing vertically seeing as though they have so much square feet on the lot which I do  believe belongs to them...right? and how many acres do they own on this spot.

Edited by j-man

58 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I will guess that this is not what they’ll do. :-). Too expensive for a company that laid off 2000 and had a big rate hike. It’ll be a box, with some stuff on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But will it at least have setbacks like setbacks like the  Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis or the proposed Sales Force Tower in Chicago or do you not know that level of detail. 

The press release indicated 39 floors, but I'm hoping for 40+.  This is probably a very novice question: why do floor heights on office buildings seem to be so much higher these days than in the past? For example, BOA Plaza is 40 floors but only 503' high.  Is this simply due to a desire for bigger windows,  or are there other reasons?  It seems like shorter floor height would be more structurally cost effective (i.e. more floors and square footage within the same overall size structure).  What is the average floor height for a modernist box tower in today's construction versus 20th century?  Thanks for any clarification.

Edited by nc0775
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, nc0775 said:

The press release indicated 39 floors, but I'm hoping for 40+.  This is probably a very novice question: why do floor heights on office buildings seem to be so much higher these days than in the past? For example, BOA Plaza is 40 floors but only 503' high.  Is this simply due to a desire for bigger windows,  or are there other reasons?  It seems like shorter floor height would be more structurally cost effective (i.e. more floors and square footage within the same overall size structure).  What is the average floor height for a modernist box tower in today's construction versus 20th century?  Thanks for any clarification.

You actually sort of hit it right on the head. bigger windows. Ceiling height, natural light, airy, breathable, large, wideopen spaces. Its a marketing tool. I'll ask one of my close contacts that builds buildings to weigh in.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, CLT704 said:

If it's a box, I'd like to see something like Brookfield Place in Calgary: 

brookfield-place-calgary-arney-fender-ka

Or do curved edges count as complex? lol

Anyhow, I like the curves, the glass and the crown: classy but not splashy.

That tower is a significantly shorter version of one rising in New York.   From one angle, it looks like a box with rounded edges.  However, it’s actually very dramatic, as the eastern facade slopes back dramatically as seen in these photos.

270B08B8-9CD2-49DB-A1A1-62058B58A9D9.jpeg

F1C83E48-5341-46E2-9A90-A82950981E89.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, SydneyCarton said:

That’s true.  I think that Calgary is the energy capital of Canada, so it’s like Dallas and Houston (and is flush with cash).

It's funny, the first time I went to Calgary was during the oil bust in the late 80s. We got there at night and while driving downtown from the airport, the person I was traveling with said, "Man, how weird is it to have all those skyscrapers with no lights on?" He was spot-on. The skyline was impressive in the daytime, but at night, it was just the outline of darkened tall buildings against the moonlight. 

• Like 2

Open your eyes and ears folks! I peek in from time to time but rarely comment. However, I must say that some avid UP posters on here are amazingly condescending to other posters. Some of these people are out of the loop and don't even realize it. I know tvsdesign will deliver as they always have for us, and I have ZERO doubt that reasonable, intellectual people will be pleased with the final product - unless of course you don't like elegant glass piercing the blue Charlotte sky!

It’ll be beautiful, and I believe that. Just don’t want people to expect the Shard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk