Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

Disappointing IMHO.  I was hoping for something more compelling that could join BOA Corporate as a landmark.  It looks to me like a very tall suburban office park building.  I'm holding out hope though for a better ground plain interface with the terrestrial world and more detail....

If you think that you haven’t been paying attention to the details. The closeup that was posted shows something special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to the “likes” team. 

If the panels are solar. I’ll go bananas.

Also people showing up to call something like this suburban, when there’s a 1995 rendition of a Dallas Expressway skyscraper being built accord the street is hilarious.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also people showing up to call something like this suburban, when there’s a 1995 rendition of a Dallas Expressway skyscraper being built accord the street is hilarious.

I would post "why can't we have both girl," but that's a celebration meme; LU1 and DEC whatever this is are both different flavors of hot garbage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If the panels are solar. I’ll go bananas.

Explain why it's so remarkable.  Have you seen something other than a low res image?  Going back several pages I dont see any detail except the flaired panels at the top that's remarkable or unique.  A cantilevered roof?  There's not enough detail to get weepy and sentimental about this yet or, to have a final opinion about it being a pos. 

Edited by MACyr

Explain why it's so remarkable.  Have you seen something other than a low res image?  Going back several pages I dont see any detail except the flaired panels at the top that's remarkable or unique.  A cantilevered roof?  There's enough detail to get weepy and sentimental about this yet or, to have a final opinion about it being a pos. 

Guess we shall see [emoji2371]

I think that over the top, elaborate buildings, like the current DEC, are a thing of the past when gilded age conditions existed before 2008.
 New York is basically the only city that keeps building them because there’s unlimited money there.
I think that this is a very nice building, and it’s nicer than most of what’s rising in the few cities that are even constructing office towers like Denver, Dallas, Austin,  Nashville, and Atlanta.  If this tower were rising in Raleigh, Greensboro, or W-S, people would be going bananas.

I think DEC2 will be a gem. I got a feeling. It’s a baby Norman Foster.

I'm most concerned with how it relates to the street.  But, if the glass, cantilever, and flaired top remain it could be a win.  Just need more details, specs, and renderings.  For the record, I think LU1 is horrible.  The "pyramid" is too small.  Did they run out of money and couldn't afford one that was proportional?  Reminds me of the Mellon Tower in Philly but with cheaper materials.

mellonbank1a.jpg

• Like 1

I'm most concerned with how it relates to the street.  But, if the glass, cantilever, and flaired top remain it could be a win.  Just need more details, specs, and renderings.  For the record, I think LU1 is horrible.  The "pyramid" is too small.  Did they run out of money and couldn't afford one that was proportional?  Reminds me of the Mellon Tower in Philly but with cheaper materials.mellonbank1a.jpg.371a57936c5434dd94f02a32ba37e88c.jpg&key=7eef545a0b8b24e293db921e9bb08ea6654421318a8e718ba2a35bb226da0d38

The initial concepts I saw had a very nice ground floor on all sides and a parking deck that was nicely shielded. Very human scale. I truly have faith in this, and I’m cynical as all hell.

Legacy Union is the worst project ever. It’s what happens when making money is your primary objective vs. positively contributing to the urban realm. And really the pyramid is only part of the problem, whole thing is bad.

Edit:

Of note it’s drifted quite a bit toward tryon vs the previous two versions. It started almost fronting college, now it’s halfway between.

Looks great! Far from being a Fosteresque tower (TVS doesn't do elegant details well, but they always have to rip someone off for the massing) but very excited to see it on the skyline. Now if we could only get the new sign portion of the UDO to stop all the skyscraper signage things would be perfect!

Edit:

Of note it’s drifted quite a bit toward tryon vs the previous two versions. It started almost fronting college, now it’s halfway between.

This is the biggest letdown for me. I can’t believe they aren’t setting it further back from DEC, just seems like a no-brainer if they want their tower to stand out. I also would’ve preferred that the panels were flared out more dramatically. But I’ll take what I can get.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Since the Duke-UNC game is resolved, attention can now focus on the Queen’s newest jewel!

P.S.: Go Duke!!!

One point. Puke. At least UNC won 2 out of 3. Who knows, maybe they meet again in the Final Four or something. That would be crazy. It was nice to have the rivalry game hosted in Charlotte even if the wrong team won. Zion is a beast. He will be fun to watch play in the NBA. Good thing Duke players don’t stick around for more than one year!

2C5DF5F5-C892-4EC5-94B9-1062DDDE48D6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

But the real question is, will the Duke Energy Center building keep it's name? And what will this new building be called? DEC II, going the Wells Fargo route? 

I’d say that it will keep its name and the new one will be called 2 Duke Energy Center, especially considering that they are putting their name on it and will actually own it. Even if “Charlotte Metro Tower” was the actual name I don’t think people would call it that.

B874DABE-B133-4DBB-BD3B-CAD793BDC67A.jpeg

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 1