Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

For me to be excited about this one- I’m holding out for the official renderings/official height. This rendering makes the building appear to be about the height of the beginning of DEC’s east facing setback- around 560-580 feet tall. Was really hoping for something over 600 for the country’s largest energy company. Plus it appears to have a very similar shape to the mint Museum apartment tower. Was really hoping for a building whose design would let it stand out a little more. 

Edited by JorgiPorgi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

It's an energy company that has laid off a bunch of employees and is dealing with PR fallout from coal ash, they can't exactly build a new BOACC.

Exactly they are a public traded heavily regulated utility they have to be conservative or people will come out of the woodwork to attack them.  Dominion Resources a huge utility based in Richmond just built a 20 story 417 foot high building and they are one of the top 10  or so utilities in the country. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

If this thing has several stories of glass panels at the top (it appears so) and creates light shows and video performances thereon (I am dreaming a bit here) and roof top solar panels, and integrates well at street level (THAT could be a problem), then you will all love it.

Yeah, the video thing is a stretch, haha, but I do expect some cool lighting, and I already love it based on what we’ve seen so far!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JorgiPorgi said:

For me to be excited about this one- I’m holding out for the official renderings/official height. This rendering makes the building appear to be about the height of the beginning of DEC’s east facing setback- around 560-580 feet tall. Was really hoping for something over 600 for the country’s largest energy company. Plus it appears to have a very similar shape to the mint Museum apartment tower. Was really hoping for a building whose design would let it stand out a little more. 

I think this one will crack 600. Those renderings aren’t proportioned to be exact

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

I would hope for more height facing college so that it isn't covered up by One Wells from a lot of angles.

It’s not going to be a very predominate tower due to it’s location. In fact- a lot of the time it won’t be visible from the west due to the Much larger DEC covering it up. 

2 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

It’s not going to be a very predominate tower due to it’s location. In fact- a lot of the time it won’t be visible from the west due to the Much larger DEC covering it up. 

Yes, but you knew it wasn’t going to be as tall as DEC.

8 minutes ago, CLT_King said:

No solar panels on top and counting the lobby, it will be 41 stories high, information straight from the horse's mouth. 

That's a disappointment.  For a company that preaches renewable energy sources and is big in component for Solar Farms all over the country...I feel like this was supposed to be a no-brainer addition (practice what you preach mentality).  They should still strive for the highest LEED certification.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

That's a disappointment.  For a company that preaches renewable energy sources and is big in component for Solar Farms all over the country...I feel like this was supposed to be a no-brainer addition (practice what you preach mentality).  They should still strive for the highest LEED certification.

DEC 1 is Platinum LEED and does not have solar panels. No need for them to be Platinum. 

Edited by CLT_King

On 3/16/2019 at 6:36 PM, Desert Power said:

Did we confirm somewhere it is angled vs the standard exaggerated near corner from these renderings?

we don't need to, its plainly obvious based on how the rendering is done, plus the close up. This only something that happens on ground level renderings really, and this is aerial

21 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm fine with no solar panels. I'd love to know exactly what the panels are though. 

Edited by Guest

On 3/16/2019 at 5:54 PM, skyline704 said:

For everyone trying to guess the height of the tower... here is the same photo with a few lines of perspective drawn. Remember, the further away something is in an image, the smaller it appears. Considering the distance between DEC and the new tower, the tower may be taller than most of you are assuming... only time will truly tell, but if any of you guys feel like breaking out some geometry, you may be able to get a better estimate of the towers height.

8EBDDB8D-AB12-4598-9BDD-89AE67E9DE04.jpeg

So I started to do this, but is not wholey accurate. Duke 2 is a little further north on its land than Duke 1 is, so this is nearly correct, but you'd have to add a few more lines, so I'd call it 20 feet shorter than you have it here.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, CLT_King said:

DEC 1 is Platinum LEED and does not have solar panels. No need for them to be Platinum. 

DEC1 was also built for a bank.  As the largest energy company in the country, I think Solar Panels  would show people that Duke Energy's mission statement is reflective of the goals and requirements of being LEED certified (Gold is fine, Devon tower is Gold cert for reference).  But definitely looking forward to more detailed renderings! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1