Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

The lobby will face Tryon Street, with 25,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space planned on the building's perimeter on Tryon, next to the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture and on College Street. Retail space also surrounds a seven-level parking deck that will have approximately 1,000 spaces. 
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, CLT_King said:
The lobby will face Tryon Street, with 25,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space planned on the building's perimeter on Tryon, next to the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture and on College Street. Retail space also surrounds a seven-level parking deck that will have approximately 1,000 spaces. 

Get us some more renderings! Haha

• Like 1

Here is an interesting note I missed, per Duke's tower announcement on their site:

Duke Energy plans to utilize a sale-leaseback financing option to construct the office tower. Upon completion, Duke Energy will seek a buyer to purchase the building and sign a long-term lease with the new owner.

I know this is pretty common with large chain retailers like grocery stores for accounting purposes when it comes to physical assets on your books, but is this common in the high rise office space?

Just now, King of the Queen City said:

@CLT_King Obviously you have some inside information.  Have you seen any additional renderings? If not solar panels then what kind of panels? 41 stories is telling but have you heard what the height will be in feet?

Barbara Walters wants to know, lol.

Chill out haha. Info is coming.

19 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

Here is an interesting note I missed, per Duke's tower announcement on their site:

I know this is pretty common with large chain retailers like grocery stores for accounting purposes when it comes to physical assets on your books, but is this common in the high rise office space?

Isn't this what happened with One Wells?

1 minute ago, Rufus said:

So is it indeed flaring out at the top? Looks subtle....unless my eyes are messed up. 

You know, I noticed that too, but the reflection of Duke Energy 1 is throwing me off so much, that I can't make heads or tails of a few things.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.53c39b6d69f6165f5d2a379d4f5be72b.png

Yay, big revolving lobby doors set back from the street and a concrete plaza. Hope at least one of those Tryon St facing doors goes into a restaurant or retail space. 

It looks like they may be replicating some of the sins of Duke Energy Center. Put the lobby and entrances up against Tryon St and hide the retail in an alley on the side.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Yay, big revolving lobby doors set back from the street and a concrete plaza. Hope at least one of those Tryon St facing doors goes into a restaurant or retail space. 

Its confirmed to have 25,000 sq feet of retail. So something there is retail. Guess we will wait and see. No word on height. I count 41 floors of office and 5 tall floors of decoration. Thats a big building.  I actually don't mind some of the plazas over here now. This is where a lot of parades terminate, so It'd be a nice spot to watch.

Edited by Guest

Looks like 1,8, and 9 are all supersized floors. Then the Roof Element is comprised of the equivalent of 4 supersized floors and a 2/3 floor. 41 floors total on the office.

38 floors at 14 feet floor heights =532 feet. 

3 floors averaging 20 ft floors =60 feet

4.67 floors averaging 20 ft floors = 93.4 feet

I predict this is 685 feet tall.

Regardless of what it is, I'd imagine it'll be at least as tall as Legacy Union, if not taller.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, CLT_King said:

DEC 1 is Platinum LEED and does not have solar panels. No need for them to be Platinum. 

I'm going to get into the LEED weeds a little - while I certainly don't discount what DEC achieved, it was certified as LEED Platinum under LEED 2.0 for Core and Shell. Fast-forward nine years, LEED is now on version 4.1. Getting platinum on a new building is significantly more difficult. In fact, today's North Carolina building code by itself is more stringent than LEED 2.0 was. 

Having said that, if they put a solar array* up there it would barely make a dent in their energy consumption and would certainly be for marketing value more than practical value. 

*They could do solar hot water and probably provide all of their hot water needs, but that's less sexy than PV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Having said that, if they put a solar array* up there it would barely make a dent in their energy consumption and would certainly be for marketing value more than practical value.

Even if it is a publicity stunt, I will take solar arrays over say... a mini coal-fired plant... :)

And efficiency has gone up considerably over the past decade, I think combined with other efficiencies (LED only lighting...) and battery storage, they could get more then just hot water out that space.

Edited by Scribe