Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

2 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

There something about not seeing or knowing anything about a project in the pipeline but hearing something like this from @ricky_davis_fan_21. Its almost better than....

seeing new renderings.

I just hope some space is left for more residential. We are definitely seeing that sector wain a bit.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just hope some space is left for more residential. We are definitely seeing that sector wain a bit.

The job market should be able to keep the demand up, no? I understand HQ executives are probably looking at Myers Park, Dilworth and South Park, but the promise of more uptown office should help keep it from bottoming out. 

3 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

The job market should be able to keep the demand up, no? I understand HQ executives are probably looking at Myers Park, Dilworth and South Park, but the promise of more uptown office should help keep it from bottoming out. 

We will see. I think people are watching and waiting for the newest crop of buildings to deliver. Would be nice for Charlotte to progress past upscale dormitories for young professionals.

Edited by Guest

all of this office development which means jobs especially on south Tryon makes Brooklyn Village which is far more residential in focus a better   option.   We have plenty of spots uptown for more residential development think First Ward and of course Brooklyn Village over in 2nd Ward.  I want that to get going soon and it is very close to new huge office cluster at Stonewall and Tryon.    Consolidation of Duke employees which I believe probably includes some from Raleigh and possible purchase of Santee Cooper and maybe others means Duke will continue to grow here.  

• Like 3

On 3/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, KJHburg said:

Exactly they are a public traded heavily regulated utility they have to be conservative or people will come out of the woodwork to attack them.  Dominion Resources a huge utility based in Richmond just built a 20 story 417 foot high building and they are one of the top 10  or so utilities in the country. 

This is already evident if you look at the comments on the Observer story on social media. Most of them are about rate hikes, coal ash, and Duke being crooks. 

As utilities go, Duke is actually pretty reasonable.  When I was a young man in NY, we had Con Edison, which is the most expensive utility per KW/hr in the US by far, and yet, the service was no better than Duke’s.   I’m pleased with having my lower utilities bills in a much bigger house.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2015/03/07/con-edison-prices-are-the-highest-by-any-us-utility/amp/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruco72 said:

This is already evident if you look at the comments on the Observer story on social media. Most of them are about rate hikes, coal ash, and Duke being crooks. 

Yep, every news story that has reported on this from WFAE, Business Journal, Observer, WSOC-TV, etc.... is pretty much 100% negative user comments about Duke building a gleaming skyscraper for themselves while also requesting rate hikes (+ coal ash). Their announcement should have focused on ground floor retail photos and showing an improvement to the community to manage the optics. The publicity would still be bad to some customers, but they could at least show the building will have amenities for the public as well and contribute to the fabric of the community (not just office space for employees). All the public sees in the picture they released is 40 stories of office space for white collar employees that they feel like they paid for in energy bills, but don't get to use. With how close to the vest they were keeping this, I certainly thought they were planning to be creative in how they announced this to the public. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, hinsp0 said:

It wouldn’t matter how Duke announced the tower.  Some people are compelled to find negativity in anything and everything, or at least on things that touch on an issue that they’re passionate about regardless of whether or not their passion is legitimately informed.  I feel terrible for people who were negatively impacted by the coal ash spills, but, in all fairness toDuke, it was merely complying with federal regulations regarding coal ash storage and disposal in the most cost effective (all be it ultimately problematic) way possible.

Now, as to the tower, I’m excited to hear more and excited that the last surface lot between South Tryon and south college is being developed.  No more gap in front of the convention center!  And the gap is being filled by a tower that looks like it belongs, rather that everyone’s favorite early 90s monstrosity built as phase one of the observer redevelopment.

Agreed, but people need to keep that in mind and temper their expectations for new corporate towers, especially for something like a utility. Google and Apple can still build palaces but many other public companies can't anymore and that industry list certainly includes banks. So, any SunTrust/BB&T tower will likely be of similar relative "modesty".  That's the age we are in now. 

But certainly, things can still be done better than LU1, which this tower certainly is. 

Edited by Bruco72

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

We will see. I think people are watching and waiting for the newest crop of buildings to deliver. Would be nice for Charlotte to progress past upscale dormitories for young professionals.

I think this will be key.  The city is building multi-fam for young professional renters that are basically early-20s dorm rooms and a few townhome options for people that age out, but not enough.  It would be great if there were 2-3 bedroom condos that weren't $1MM+.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SMSRedux said:

It plays off DEC1 really well while being different enough. It also has chamfered corners of the main floor plates just like DEC1, The glass curtain wall continues out past the chamfer on the corners, you can barely make out the small supports on the high res version. Some good subtle elements that will help set it off from your typical box and make it architecturally interesting.

Plans have been filed, but nothing will typically be visible to the public online until approved and then it should become viewable/clickable. Thus, we wait.

I take it back you are correct, its chamfered. 

34 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

Agreed, but people need to keep that in mind and temper their expectations for new corporate towers, especially for something like a utility. Google and Apple can still build palaces but many other public companies can't anymore and that industry list certainly includes banks. So, any SunTrust/BB&T tower will likely be of similar relative "modesty".  That's the age we are in now. 

But certainly, things can still be done better than LU1, which this tower certainly is. 

Not to incense people about NY, but Chase is building a 1,500’ tower by Foster, and Morgan Stanley is looking for 1.5m sf in an equally lavish new tower, so that statement isn’t always accurate.

That being said, I think that LU1 and Duke are very nice towers, even though they’re not  the gold standard that the original BoA, Hearst, and DEC set.  Hopefully, some day, something of that caliber will rise again.  Maybe BB&T or Honeywell.  For that matter, LU2 looks beautiful.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

any height on that document? 

No...not on the general information section that is public.  They did file the full set of plans, that almost certainly includes elevations and corresponding height, but not publicaly viewable until approved.....unless anyone who might have had a look wants to share :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

This building is more than meets the eye. The more I dive in the more interesting it is to me. 

The glass panels aren't a skin, but on the interior they are chamfered, kind of like a way more subtle Charlotte Plaza. Also the building edges are diagonal like Duke Energy 1. The glass panels themselves aren't perfectly square they are diagonal facing along the outside edges. I'm a big fan. I've stared at it for hours. I just wish it didn't have such a fat ass. 

Edited by Guest

On 3/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

DEC is 786 feet and this looks to go around 5/6ths the way up DEC. So could be up to 650ft.

I was close lol.

I don't think they care too much about being 3rd, as they are already second. And as a legendary North Carolinian once said: "if you aren't first you're last"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2