Jump to content

AP3

Charlotte Metro Tower | 40 Story Duke Energy Tower

Recommended Posts


So Duke said they'd start the Tower at the end of April but, looking at accela, there were revisions needed (which I don't actually know what that means) so what would be the realistic timeline before this starts? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CLT704 said:

So Duke said they'd start the Tower at the end of April but, looking at accela, there were revisions needed (which I don't actually know what that means) so what would be the realistic timeline before this starts? 

Those are city processes.  The county processes issue permits for construction.  Once the city stuff is approved the county stuff can be concurrent but without city approval the permit office won’t issue the approved permits which the contractor needs for construction to start legitimately.   If there are changes at the city level you have to revise the drawings at the county level.

Also you will see a job trailer or two on site and the site fenced off before construction too. 

Owners are also way too optimistic.

Edited by FreeOpinions
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

This will break ground late june, early july

Will this be above ground by the end of the forthcoming football season ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Will this be above ground by the end of the forthcoming football season ?

Foundation would take a month or two.   If they have underground parking then several months to many months.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FreeOpinions said:

Foundation would take a month or two.   If they have underground parking then several months to many months.  

I believe there's only one floor underground parking, at most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I believe there's only one floor underground parking, at most. 

So this might be above-ground in November or December?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Clemson16 said:

First day with no parking allowed on the lot. Just 3 personal vehicles for construction workers. 

622AC335-1C94-44B1-A640-B71B1F50AC67.jpeg

I know they had a rig out there doing test drills. Now that there is no more parking allowed presumably they can bore the rest of the column and elevator locations to determine foundation barring depths. Or dig a big hole to hide coal ash, hehehe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, DMann said:

Are there any renderings from the College Street side?

Bumping this up... I'm interested to know as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DamicoKaren said:

Bumping this up... I'm interested to know as well. 

Publicly? No. But I know its a floor further below grade from Tryon Street. So I'd imagine Street Level Retail, Deck Ingress/Egress.

Knowing TVS, I bet there's some signature stairs leading to a covered retail arcade/breezway that creates some separation between it and the historic church. I'd also bet my bottom dollar on solar panels.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Publicly? No. But I know its a floor further below grade from Tryon Street. So I'd imagine Street Level Retail, Deck Ingress/Egress.

Knowing TVS, I bet there's some signature stairs leading to a covered retail arcade/breezway that creates some separation between it and the historic church. I'd also bet my bottom dollar on solar panels.

Solar panels make sense for many reasons, including the fact that NC is a leader in the solar farm industry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Solar panels make sense for many reasons, including the fact that NC is a leader in the solar farm industry.

Solar Panels for a building this size are a joke.  They only are used to contribute to LEED points but offer no real energy contribution to the grid.  

Its more of an advertisement for green energy or to satisfy the greenie beanies. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FreeOpinions said:

At night?  Haha!

Reminds me of an 80’s song, I wear my solar panels at night. So I can. So I can...

Solar + battery storage = night power

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JSquare said:

Solar + battery storage = night power

While admittedly that is a solution in specific scenarios the likelihood of that being installed for the sole purpose of powering the exterior lighting has a almost a zero chance. 

1. Cloudy or rainy days won’t sufficiently charge the batteries to power the system.

2.  The size of the system would likely not be large enough to supply all the energy required.

3. Grid power is more stable and consistent so that will be the preferred choice for such a high profile element of the building.  

4. There is a lot more systems in place than just batteries to get the electricity from the panels to the exterior lighting.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATS (automatic transfer switch) is used to switch from battery power to grid power if battery power is insufficient. 

A lot of people on this site are in the construction industry. Please do not spout opinions and act like they are facts. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JSquare said:

ATS (automatic transfer switch) is used to switch from battery power to grid power if battery power is insufficient. 

A lot of people on this site are in the construction industry. Please do not spout opinions and act like they are facts. 

Knowing what something can do and when you should use it are two different things.

All buildings with generators have an ATS.  Which is every large office building in CLT.

I applaud all the people in the construction industry on this site.  If anyone would like to share some facts please do, they are more than welcome to.  

If your going to call me out on something at least state what was said that you don’t agree with because we can’t have a discussion that generalizes everything.

I’m willing to learn, and that is a fact.

 

  • Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.