Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I don’t know what’s going on anymore. So Charlotte is getting a MLS team? :D Needs drone shots also. 

Tepper wants a MLS team.  A questionnaire sent to Panthers’ season ticket holders had questions about soccer.  And, MLS recently decided to expand to 30 teams.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:40 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don’t think it’s misleading. Misleading is saying Charlotte is a city of 700,000 people without specifying it has yuge city limits.

Theres nothing misleading about the population density/population of 2 sq. Miles of the uptown. 23,000 people live there. 11,000 ppsm.  I live in DC and I can say, yes, the very bustling dense feeling parts are the 3 floor buildings with retail after retail. Charlotte doesn’t have an equivalent uptown. And we won’t. Because we tore it down. So I get the part it may not feel as dense due to our lack of the smaller scale, older building stock. But that doesn’t change the #’s. Especially when the downtowns are nearly the same sq. Miles. Misleading would be including midtown or SouthEnd, etc.   

its nearly 900,000.

And what we tore down never resembled anything in DC, there was like 20 square blocks of density, about what exists today. Now that said, if we had added the current 20 blocks of density and preserved and added onto the previous 20, we'd be a whole lot more urban and vibrant place. This is the one nod I give Raleigh over Charlotte.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its nearly 900,000.

And what we tore down never resembled anything in DC, there was like 20 square blocks of density, about what exists today. Now that said, if we had added the current 20 blocks of density and preserved and added onto the previous 20, we'd be a whole lot more urban and vibrant place. This is the one nod I give Raleigh over Charlotte.

I don’t think that Charlotte and Raleigh are comparable.   Raleigh, to me, is more like WS.  I think that Charlotte is way better than Raleigh in every respect.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its nearly 900,000.

44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg

I didn’t say Charlotte did or didn’t resemble DC. I was saying the most vibrant parts of cities tend to be the low rise/mid rise older buildings with spaces for local retailers, etc. I mentioned DC as an example that the older parts have a more vibrant feel than the newer development that all have a Starbucks, Subway, Orange Theory and CVS. And that Charlotte’s equivalent of older stock buildings have been torn down and that’s not coming back. We’re not goin to have comic book stores or anything in Novel Stonewall or Ally Tower.

• Like 4

44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg&key=ceff4e90c58a8ca47146a637ac639f91ce6700d6cb37113d2bcbc0f75d2c1f6e

I didn’t say Charlotte did or didn’t resemble DC. I was saying the most vibrant parts of cities tend to be the low rise/mid rise older buildings with spaces for local retailers, etc. I mentioned DC as an example that the older parts have a more vibrant feel than the newer development that all have a Starbucks, Subway, Orange Theory and CVS. And that Charlotte’s equivalent of older stock buildings have been torn down and that’s not coming back. We’re not goin to have comic book stores or anything in Novel Stonewall or Ally Tower.

Correct, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg

That does tie into Denver and Burlington in my experience.

and the following comparison was of “wide swaths” of other cities. To totally beat this poor dead horse we have the still-fresh example of the Polk building - which as has been noted would never have been torn down in Savannah, Charleston, Austin, etc and other cities that value and protect such buildings. 

Its easy to wipe away all the prior “urban renewal” excuses as a different time but when it’s still occurring in front of our eyes.... not sure what else to say about that. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

and the following comparison was of “wide swaths” of other cities. To totally beat this poor dead horse we have the still-fresh example of the Polk building - which as has been noted would never have been torn down in Savannah, Charleston, Austin, etc and other cities that value and protect such buildings. 

Its easy to wipe away all the prior “urban renewal” excuses as a different time but when it’s still occurring in front of our eyes.... not sure what else to say about that. 

Charleston and Savannah, no. Austin, ha! 

But back to Duke. I want more info. I find it odd CK is being so stingy with its renderings/elevations. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charleston and Savannah, no. Austin, ha! 

But back to Duke. I want more info. I find it odd CK is being so stingy with its renderings/elevations. 

Not approved yet, that's why. Just got revision requests on the 10th. Grading permits and PCCOs were filed, so approval should come shortly.

Edited by Guest