Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

I was thinking if they set the building back from Tryon and are not digging a large deck underground, it can only mean a large deck on college.

So that’s supposed to be a good thing or you sayin that in general 

3 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

No, just in general.  I would prefer a hotel facing college and parking below the tower. 

Omg I said the same thing months ago. They should make DE2 pushed up and get that 1000 room hotel there. I don’t like that it would be placed by the Hilton and having to cross NASCAR to get to the convention center. 

The corner most talked about for a huge convention hotel is immediately adjacent to the convention center no streets to cross  to the CC and currently the home of the soon to be marketed Duke Energy data center and offices at the corner of S College and MLK.  

• Like 1

Omg I said the same thing months ago. They should make DE2 pushed up and get that 1000 room hotel there. I don’t like that it would be placed by the Hilton and having to cross NASCAR to get to the convention center. 

What? That’s not where it’ll go. The last dozen posts are seemingly about it being tucked right into the convention center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, j-man said:

I would like to see a smaller hotel, maybe a 250 Hyatt or something.  But, I am happy to see the Duke building and set back from Tryon.   That area should be a cool gathering space, especially when combined with the other areas around it.  There is one spot left in that area for a tower (corner of S Tryon and Stonewall), I hope Harris builds something iconic with open space.  At this point, this intersection deserves a signature spot.

If Duke is going to sell the spot at College and MLK, that would be ideal for a 50 story convention hotel. 

4 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

If Duke is going to sell the spot at College and MLK, that would be ideal for a 50 story convention hotel. 

40 minutes ago, gman430 said:

But why so tall

Yeah I don’t see it being that tall. 33-35 floors in that footprint is probably all that’s necessary for 1000+ rooms. 

4 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Yeah I don’t see it being that tall. 33-35 floors in that footprint is probably all that’s necessary for 1000+ rooms. 

I’ll be happy with 35, I just want to see it built.  But, the city has a lot of funding requests coming up like The Panthers.  So, who knows when this will happen.

It’ll be over 40.

33-35 floors of rooms yes, but it’ll have 150-200k sq feet of meeting space, ballrooms, conference rooms, etc. not to mention, retail, lobby, and most likely a parking deck. Oh and a rooftop restaurant, a substantial pool and an amenity area.

Reminder: this isn’t the Westin, it’s 2019 Convention hotel, gotta have all the bells and whistles.

What was drawn previously was 42 floors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It’ll be over 40.

33-35 floors of rooms yes, but it’ll have 150-200k sq feet of meeting space, ballrooms, conference rooms, etc. not to mention, retail, lobby, and most likely a parking deck. Oh and a rooftop restaurant, a substantial pool and an amenity area.

What was drawn previously was 42 floors.

From RDF's lips to God's ear.

• Like 1

From RDF's lips to God's ear.

This IF it happens. I think ultimately it will, just don’t know how charlotte will fund all its grand plans.

14 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This IF it happens. I think ultimately it will, just don’t know how charlotte will fund all its grand plans.

Is there a list somewhere  of upcoming funding requests.

Maybe this is for a new thread, but I can think of a convention hotel at $100mm +, The Panthers....no idea although I hear they want a roof on BofA, transit at $8b+....the arts, and not sure what else.  I would love to see a theatre downtown with 3k seats, just not sure that is remotely on a list somewhere.

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What? That’s not where it’ll go. The last dozen posts are seemingly about it being tucked right into the convention center.

Well I must have just missed all that because I never saw a thing about that. But that is good news. Tbh I feel like this should be the last note in that area of town. Like there has to be like 10 hotels on or right off a half a mile of stonewall uptown. Like that’s insane when it’s not distributed to other parts of uptown. 

for those plans there need to be a significant amount of ground floor footprint. That hote should be similar into the shape of the Uptown 550 apartments. Lots of room for all that retail, meeting space, ballroom, and a huge vertical tower for the rooms. Where can that go?? I wish the Embassy Suites was never built and the hotel could take that entire block. Just a thought. 

52 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

2E0C2B66-52FA-408E-8C58-F7ACCCF60A10.jpeg

I almost wouldn't be against some sort of tax on people who own cars in or around Uptown (and I'm saying that as a resident of the "inner neighborhoods") but it's one of those wagon before the horse issues where the justification being better transit would ring hollow to people right now because of the lack thereof, however without more/better funding, having the infrastructure to encourage less car usage/ownership will be a long time coming. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I almost wouldn't be against some sort of tax on people who own cars in or around Uptown (and I'm saying that as a resident of the "inner neighborhoods") but it's one of those wagon before the horse issues where the justification being better transit would ring hollow to people right now because of the lack thereof, however without more/better funding, having the infrastructure to encourage less car usage/ownership will be a long time coming. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

There already is a tax on car owners who live in or around uptown (and everywhere else for that matter).  If you own a car, you pay yearly property tax on it.

• Like 1

There already is a tax on car owners who live in or around uptown (and everywhere else for that matter).  If you own a car, you pay yearly property tax on it.

Yeah and there is a 40% premium on it too in comparison to other counties/states in area!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don't see the convention hotel being built anytime soon.  Between the current funding requests by the city/region, and several economic indicators throwing red flags about a looming recession in the next 9-18 months,  this will sit in developmental hell for the foreseeable future.  Any projects that haven't started construction by Q4 of this year (or early Q1 of next year potentially) I think will be victims of the turn in the economy and be shelved indefinitely. 

3 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I'm really not sure how to respond to this, if you honestly think I'm so dense as to not know the money I paid to the state literally two days ago was  a tax, then I pity you sir. But that's they keyword there, the state I'm talking for the city, like a congestion tax or something to that degree. Trust me, I'm not a fan of taxes, but a financial incentive is always a good way to encourage behavior. This wouldn't be a property tax in the general sense, but more of a flat fee, and over time it will create a zone where folks can within reason live without a vehicle. A little milk and honey, but Charlotte will eventually reach a critical mass, lets be ready for it. 

• Like 4