Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

9 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if none of the parking is underground, what is the need for blasting? Could this be an indication of a design change? Doesn't seem like they'd need a super deep basement otherwise. I know pilings needs to be pushed into the bedrock but it seems drilling could accomplish this. 

image.thumb.png.934018cdf79e025a91d4d5e21478b14b.png

This is the grading plan.  Looks like they plan on doing a decent amount of digging. and maybe blasting. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.934018cdf79e025a91d4d5e21478b14b.png

This is the grading plan.  Looks like they plan on doing a decent amount of digging. and maybe blasting. 

I'm not an engineer so you're going to have to give me a little guidance here. The way I'm reading it is that they're gonna dig down, and then backfill it again? The "proposed grade" doesn't exactly look even either. 

I'm not an engineer so you're going to have to give me a little guidance here. The way I'm reading it is that they're gonna dig down, and then backfill it again? The "proposed grade" doesn't exactly look even either. 

Deleted this post, everything loaded up, it was not relevant, anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing the proposed grade is sloped so that it will drain. Those look like area drains leading to a stormwater pipe.

• Like 1

build 4 more light rail lines hitting 485, increase capacity by a good amount vs. what the blue line currently handles and then.... I could be a little more anti-car.

That prob will never happen and it’s a lot of capital the city doesn’t have and it’s really not needed IMO. I could see adding another line E-W LRT and then maybe some other form of the gold line out to Graham St or one out to midtown/east blvd and extension to plaza midwood. I may be jaded but I spend a lot more time on my bike or running than I do in my truck. I find the city to be very navigable and I can get to most places (that I want to go or have to go) without having to use any form of mass transit. There really are not enough bike lanes or greenways to be used as adequate forms of transport but I make it work everyday. I’d also challenge that I can probably make it from my house to downtown faster on my bike than using any transit. I live off archdale.

• Like 3

150 Meters Tall (500’) Buidlings seem to be the Skyscraper minimum height to qualify for some of the tallest Skylines in the U.S.  

How long will it take CLT to Crack the double digits (10+) in building over 150 Meters?  Right now it looks like DEC2 will be number 8 but after that I cannot foresee anything else over 500’.  Even once the North Tryon Area gets going Id be surprised to see anything announced over the 300 / 400’ range.  

6 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

150 Meters Tall (500’) Buidlings seem to be the Skyscraper minimum height to qualify for some of the tallest Skylines in the U.S.  

How long will it take CLT to Crack the double digits (10+) in building over 150 Meters?  Right now it looks like DEC2 will be number 8 but after that I cannot foresee anything else over 500’.  Even once the North Tryon Area gets going Id be surprised to see anything announced over the 300 / 400’ range.  

I would think a convention hotel has potential for 500'. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

I would think a convention hotel has potential for 500'. 

I think the best chances for 500 feet tall are the following

• CTC Redo
• 111 N. Tryon 

but an office tower at that location would stand tall in the middle of the skyline and "photobomb the class picture" in terms of impact, Leary said.

• Convention Center Hotel 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think the best chances for 500 feet tall are the following

• CTC Redo

I agree with this.  I also am curious that the lot across the street sold at the same time an unsolicited bid for CTC was submitted.  If both lots are redeveloped it will obviously be a game changer for extending south from Tryon, and help the street presence around the arena (along with Moxy).  Question though:  Does anyone think the potential developer for CTC Redo has a tenant in the wings?  Seems like a large project to undertake without a potential tenant, particularly given the original unsolicited bid.  My uneducated gut feel is there has to be a potential tenant-in-wating.   For those of you close to the development industry, curious to hear your thoughts.  Unrelated question: @ricky_davis_fan_21, you find a job in Charlotte yet?

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

I agree with this.  I also am curious that the lot across the street sold at the same time an unsolicited bid for CTC was submitted.  If both lots are redeveloped it will obviously be a game changer for extending south from Tryon, and help the street presence around the arena (along with Moxy).  Question though:  Does anyone think the potential developer for CTC Redo has a tenant in the wings?  Seems like a large project to undertake without a potential tenant, particularly given the original unsolicited bid.  My uneducated gut feel is there has to be a potential tenant-in-wating.   For those of you close to the development industry, curious to hear your thoughts.  Unrelated question: @ricky_davis_fan_21, you find a job in Charlotte yet?

There are no tenants in the market that I'm aware of that could anchor a project of this size. There have been a couple big boys sniffing around but nothing definitive

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DMann said:

So, sitting around drinking a glass of wine and my mind wanders as to who could look to purchase this site and put up something that could rival BOA.  My spidie sense tells me it is someone that probably already has a presence, a significant presence, in the Charlotte market.  Then I think of Wells Fargo vacating a lot of space in the JukeBox building, and Bissett interviewing for the CEO, and many people moving here, and job postings at a minimum everywhere for Wells outside of Charlotte.  Probably all just a coincidence!

Keep that wine flowing and tell more !:w00t:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DMann said:

So, sitting around drinking a glass of wine and my mind wanders as to who could look to purchase this site and put up something that could rival BOA.  My spidie sense tells me it is someone that probably already has a presence, a significant presence, in the Charlotte market.  Then I think of Wells Fargo vacating a lot of space in the JukeBox building, and Bissett interviewing for the CEO, and many people moving here, and job postings at a minimum everywhere for Wells outside of Charlotte.  Probably all just a coincidence!

I'm curious if we could perhaps get a "speculation" thread going? All speculations can go there until they're confirmed or worthy of their own thread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpeckWiley said:

So with all this blasting and such how long do we think until we see this go vertical? How long until we know the final height?

Probably won't know the height until the day it tops out. What we had all understood as the height for Ally Center was like 30 feet off.

8 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I'm curious if we could perhaps get a "speculation" thread going? All speculations can go there until they're confirmed or worthy of their own thread. 

We could just go ahead and admit to ourselves that 99% of what's posted on the entire site is speculation, minute by minute photos, and complaining.

What passes for an announcement on here these days is once news breaks somewhere else someone on here says, "whew, I've known for months and now I can tell you".

• Haha 1