Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

1 minute ago, CLT_sc said:

The Hut needs a permanent home where kjhburg and others can offer gifts.  Maybe the corner of S Tryon and Ave of the Arts across from Firebird would be a good location.

I am sure The Mint would welcome the attraction. Instead of the Trevi Fountain, we have The Hut....and, since we need a good fountain in CLT,  we could make it the focal point of a water feature.

water just pouring on a hut. 

so avante garde

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know that I'm in the minority, but I think that the convention center is lousy and is a poor use of space.  I'd rather see it get torn down and moved to a less central location but in a much more grandiose fashion. 

It’s good enough. Maybe some murals or something. I have never been impressed with any convention center, period. 

Theyre either a huge dead zone or overran with people in a convention. Not very great for locals in any event. They’re usually big and monolithic and cold. Even the ones in tropical climates with pretty palm trees 

But they serve a purpose. But it’s a fools errand to think we can ever make it anything than a cold giant concrete blight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

The problem with the convention center is that it is basically 4 blocks worth of building you have to walk around.  No easy cut through.

Ive cut through the actual building numerous times.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

You mean this beauty? What's the problem?

It will look great after the renovation with staircases to the new walkway and continuation of the Rail Trail and lots of windows and patios from the meeting rooms.  Someone just posted a rendering of it and it is starting soon. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It will look great after the renovation with staircases to the new walkway and continuation of the Rail Trail and lots of windows and patios from the meeting rooms.  Someone just posted a rendering of it and it is starting soon. 

It'll look completely different from the stone wall up. The stonewall will stay as is. Though hopefully it'll get some love from art or something

Edited by Guest

I still have not seen a conceptual drawing of the rail trail that passes thru the Convention Center... given the narrow  passageway  for the Blue Line, I'm at a loss on how the trail will go from Stonewall to MLK...

Same. I’m working on getting to the bottom of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, tarhoosier said:

Those of us with experience in older, larger cities know well the downtown parking experience of a small lot with a hut and a man, frizzled beard, chomping a day old cigar remainder, barking orders, taking payments. Some of them took your keys and parked it themselves so more cars could fit on the surface. When he drove your car to the exit you had to drive home with the windows down to exhaust his smell. His hut was his home. Not the current era air conditioned building with a sliding window and a yellow draw arm automated to the cashier. No, no.

Here is an elegy of sorts from 2013. Gone but not forgotten (and smells are highly linked to memory.)

https://www.thestar.com/life/2013/01/24/disposable_city_impermanent_structures_dot_torontos_landscape.html

Family vacation to DC my senior year of high school we stayed in a hotel that had 13 spots for 100+ rooms, needless to say my dad had to take the car to park elsewhere. He found a deck, not lot, but the attendant took his money and demanded the key, when he brought the car back on the day we left my dad had a hard time convincing my mother he didn't smoke in the car while gone. 

18 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I still have not seen a conceptual drawing of the rail trail that passes thru the Convention Center... given the narrow  passageway  for the Blue Line, I'm at a loss on how the trail will go from Stonewall to MLK...

So on Charlotte Talks, Michael Smith said, "will go through the convention center." 

Are we sure "through the convention center" doesn't just mean it ends at a sidewalk outside the doors on one side, and then inside there's like a carpet change and a couple signs, and then picks up again outside the doors on the other side? Because that would be pathetic and I could see it happening.

4 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Are we sure "through the convention center" doesn't just mean it ends at a sidewalk outside the doors on one side, and then inside there's like a carpet change and a couple signs, and then picks up again outside the doors on the other side? Because that would be pathetic and I could see it happening.

he said verbatim "extend rail trail through convention center "eventually."Z