Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

28 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Digging has really been progressing the past couple days. It feels like it's taking forever though. Maybe due to the blasting?

IMG_1846.jpg

Its all bedrock there, hence the lack of more than one floor of subterranean anything.

Edited by Guest

Did they have to blast through bedrock for the museum parking and the parking under The Green? Or is this site the only unlucky one that's all bedrock?

It’s all bedrock. I think someone might have just lost their shirt over the 2100 space deck under Duke Energy 1, hence why it’s not being buried this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a me building, developer and architect as DEC 1, so there’s some reason they aren’t repeating the buried parking, which is minimum 60% more to do.

1 hour ago, NOLA2CLT said:

I think Duke is just saying its going to be 41 stories, I bet they are going to surprise us all, and end up building a 1000 footer...i mean whats another ~300 feet, right?

Man o man I wish!

What I’ve been thinking about realistically though is if we had more proliferation of towers (18 to 30 Story) throughout The N. Tryon St/1st Ward and 2nd Ward Areas then we’d have an even more fantastic Skyline.  Charlotte would be again punching far above its weight.  

Also - proliferation of towers outside of the I-277 Loop will be very nice too.  Hoping something moves on the 3rd/Baldwin Tower as well as the 20/25 Story Metropolitan Tower Site in the next couple years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

The person responsible was actually just given a pillar award (lifetime achievement award) last night. 

HAHA. Well he would have gotten a second award, if he had buried the deck again.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:28 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It’s all bedrock. I think someone might have just lost their shirt over the 2100 space deck under Duke Energy 1, hence why it’s not being buried this time.

It’s a me building, developer and architect as DEC 1, so there’s some reason they aren’t repeating the buried parking, which is minimum 60% more to do.

If they attempted a large underground deck, we would be looking at a 2030 completion date.  This site looks really tough to dig.   

• Like 3

If memory serves correct, that portion of the city was very difficult due to the shallow hard rock.  I can remember when DEC was being built how the blasting took forever due to how far they needed to go.  One blast they set up was double the amount of TNT (or whatever they were using) by accident, and it shook us like crazy in 3WF across the street.  Not sure they will be able (due to costs) go too far deep for a huge garage.

• Like 1

If memory serves correct, that portion of the city was very difficult due to the shallow hard rock.  I can remember when DEC was being built how the blasting took forever due to how far they needed to go.  One blast they set up was double the amount of TNT (or whatever they were using) by accident, and it shook us like crazy in 3WF across the street.  Not sure they will be able (due to costs) go too far deep for a huge garage.

Not to mention the historic church just next door that was damaged during Duke 1 construction.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:33 PM, CLT_sc said:

If we are only going down one floor, are we close to seeing foundation work?

Based on what I've seen, they are leveling out one portion that'll include "back of house" operations. the rest will be above ground. So yes, should see foundation work soon.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not to mention the historic church just next door that was damaged during Duke 1 construction.

That's right.  The fresco behind the altar was destroyed.  I don't think they ever restored or replaced it either.  It has been a long while since I was inside for a service.

• Thanks 1

That's right.  The fresco behind the altar was destroyed.  I don't think they ever restored or replaced it either.  It has been a long while since I was inside for a service.

Have a original planning sketch (called a cartoon) of part of it in my living room

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Here’s a construction question, they are building a square with some steel I-beams close to the  hut.  Size wise, it looks to be similar to a tower crane, is this how the tower crane foundations are built?

not sure what this could be.

Maybe a wall mockup? Could also be the museum they're building around the hut so it's memorialized forever.

• Haha 1