Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

On today’s soapbox: Am I the only one who thinks the shipping containers on Tryon are horrendous?
First, why Tryon and not Church?
Second, shipping containers aren’t exactly what I’d call “inviting” compared to the conventional covered (and open) scaffolding. I’m sure those shipping containers will be saunas in the summer sun. Speaking of which, I’m assuming these will be around for the RNC on our city’s most prominent street right in the heart of the arts district. Where will the protestors stand now? It’s hard to picket in a shipping container!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, joenc said:

I'm not sure why we are talking about Nashville, but they have a different economy than we do, mostly about Bachelorette parties and Country music.

Their Fortune 500s are companies like Dollar General, Cracker Barrel, and Tractor Supply, those type of companies really don't build skyscrapers.

So much shade towards Nashville lol. You forgot about HCA, Alliance Bernstein, Amazon, Nissan, Mitsubishi, btw.

Edited by jkc2j
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

While those are impressive companies regardless, I believe only 2 of those are actually headquartered in Nashville.

All but Amazon are. HCA is home grown, Alliance Bernstein recently relocated their headquarters from NY and both Nissan and Mitsubishi have their North American headquarters in Nashville. 

Edited by jkc2j

7 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

All but Amazon are. HCA is home grown, Alliance Bernstein recently relocated their headquarters from NY and both Nissan and Mitsubishi have their North American headquarters in Nashville. 

I was speaking more so World headquarters, Regardless that is very impressive. This however is off topic and if you’d like to continue the discussion feel free to talk about it in the coffee house.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

Pictures or it didn't happen!

@KJHburg are you going to be checking on your parking hut today? :tw_tounge_wink:

I am living the Salt Life at the OBX for the next few days.  Nags Head Kill Devil Hills Kitty Hawk micropolitan area.    Thanks for the update and I expect other things to happen while I am gone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I am living the Salt Life at the OBX for the next few days.  Nags Head Kill Devil Hills Kitty Hawk micropolitan area.    Thanks for the update and I expect other things to happen while I am gone. 

It must be nice to be near the ocean with this unusually warm weather.    

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 6:48 AM, AuLukey said:

On today’s soapbox: Am I the only one who thinks the shipping containers on Tryon are horrendous?
First, why Tryon and not Church?
Second, shipping containers aren’t exactly what I’d call “inviting” compared to the conventional covered (and open) scaffolding. I’m sure those shipping containers will be saunas in the summer sun. Speaking of which, I’m assuming these will be around for the RNC on our city’s most prominent street right in the heart of the arts district. Where will the protestors stand now? It’s hard to picket in a shipping container!

The airport’s been using them for four years. They’re safer for pedestrians than scaffolding. 

• Like 2

The airport’s been using them for four years. They’re safer for pedestrians than scaffolding. 

True. Forgot about the ones at the airport. But I feel like those, being in what equates to a parking desk-esk surroundings, are a more appropriate setting than the city’s main street just before a major national event. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather cross the street twice than walk through those.

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Cool. You're in my neck of the woods AKA a long way from Charlotte. At least it's been warm the last couple of days.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, AuLukey said:

True. Forgot about the ones at the airport. But I feel like those, being in what equates to a parking desk-esk surroundings, are a more appropriate setting than the city’s main street just before a major national event. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather cross the street twice than walk through those.

Well, they’ll be walking through them when they arrive at CLT, as the new terminal project will be well underway by then. 

Well, they’ll be walking through them when they arrive at CLT, as the new terminal project will be well underway by then. 

Those shipping containers have been in use at the airport for at least the last year.
To me, the difference in concrete pours directly overhead (CLT) and potential falling debris (Duke) aren’t exactly hand in hand; but hazardous nonetheless. And the containers aren’t blocking anything at the airport other than the current construction zone itself. I guess my biggest peeve is the blocking of half of Tryon with a closed off blank-walled tube for the next two years. At least paint a mural on them or something.
I’m obviously in the minority on this, so I’ll drop it for now. I’ll revisit this discussion during July/August when those BLACK shipping containers are baking in direct sunlight while the heat index is already at 110. Wait and see how many people elect to use them then.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

More concrete was poured around the tower crane base.  It looks like the Tryon St side of the property is at depth.  Hopefully we’ll see some foundation work start soon.

and, in hut news, the hut has been moved back towards the Gant Center.

I still stand by my earlier (8 weeks ago) construction prognostication = Vertical Construction for this site may not get above ground level until mid to late 1st Quarter 2020.  Excited for this site - I anticipate 12 to 15 stories above ground by the time of the RNC in August.  Probably 20 to 25 stories by years end 2020.  If this building is Steel framed instead of Post Tensioned Concrete (I’m not sure which) then I must/will revise my estimate.