Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

7 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I still stand by my earlier (8 weeks ago) construction prognostication = Vertical Construction for this site may not get above ground level until mid to late 1st Quarter 2020.  Excited for this site - I anticipate 12 to 15 stories above ground by the time of the RNC in August.  Probably 20 to 25 stories by years end 2020.  If this building is Steel framed instead of Post Tensioned Concrete (I’m not sure which) then I must/will revise my estimate.

It's Post Tensioned Concrete. 

Childress Klein & CGA Capital from Maryland just purchased this for $675 million with a long term lease back to Duke.  Maybe now we will see final renderings!

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/23/sale-of-duke-energy-tower-under-construction-in.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Edited by steve_o
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, steve_o said:

Childress Klein & CGA Capital from Maryland just purchased this for $675 million with a long term lease back to Duke.  Maybe now we will see final renderings!

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/23/sale-of-duke-energy-tower-under-construction-in.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Maybe 100 stories!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that is the biggest single building sale in Charlotte and NC history! 

""Regardless of the final price, the Duke tower marks the largest single real estate transaction ever made in Charlotte. The previous record of $445.5 million is set to occur next spring when Truist completes its purchase of the Heart Tower — a deal that was announced two weeks ago. That just edged the $441.6 million that paid for the Bank of America Tower at Legacy Union in late November.""

so it will be co-owned by Childress Klein and Maryland based CGA Capital 

• Like 4

If OKC can build Devon Energy Center (also DEC lol), in repeat...OKC...really hope the retail and public space is nice for this new tower.   Devon engages the public with things like  Vast which is on the 49th and 50th floor is a nice restaurant and they have 90 minute tours of the whole facility.  Also  several restaurants/shops on ground floor.

Duke is the #1 power utility company in the country...don't be afraid to flex a little muscle and create an iconic or special tower...not only first-class experience for your employees and shareholders, but for the people of your hometown city you are headquartered in.  Engage the public, create a unique and fun experience, whether that's restaurants and shops at street-level or  whether that's an observation deck or restaurant on the top levels.  Don't just be another giant corporate lobby.  If I were Duke, I'd give BOACC the middle finger and build a 900+ footer lol im jk.  However, my only hope with the lack of renderings released from the initial announcement (esp from college st vantage point) is that there are some nice surprises for us to be revealed...a hotel seemed like a no brainer to me at the time being right across from the convention center.  But I'm sure they are well in the design process though and things are probably pretty finalized from the public rendering they released?

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I don't think this is growing anymore than what it is now.  This is a regulated utility that has faced lots of criticism they are not going any higher than a floor or two and it seems like the height is now the same as BOAT at Legacy.  Devon is an oil and gas company not a public utility big difference and yes those companies like corporate statements.  Dominion Energy based in Richmond is a fairly large utility too and they built a new 20 story tower so this is better than that.  Georgia Power Southern Company another large utility has no statement building in Atlanta either.  

That all being said this is a great building with a great design and once Duke vacated their data center right beside the convention center that is the logical place for a large hotel.

I thought this is going to be closer in height to Hearst/Truist?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 11:57 PM, KJHburg said:

I don't think this is growing anymore than what it is now.  This is a regulated utility that has faced lots of criticism they are not going any higher than a floor or two and it seems like the height is now the same as BOAT at Legacy.  Devon is an oil and gas company not a public utility big difference and yes those companies like corporate statements.  Dominion Energy based in Richmond is a fairly large utility too and they built a new 20 story tower so this is better than that.  Georgia Power Southern Company another large utility has no statement building in Atlanta either.  

That all being said this is a great building with a great design and once Duke vacated their data center right beside the convention center that is the logical place for a large hotel.

GA Power/Southern Company hasn’t built anything new for 2 reasons. First, their plant Vogtle Project has been BILLIONS over budget (Than Heaven the first reactor will be ready around 2021). Second, Southern Company bought AGL Resources for 12 billion. AGL also just so happened to be headquartered in Atlanta too, so they have a ton of smaller building around the city and in the suburbs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

STILL digging and blasting. Whenever I think they've reached the bottom of the hole they keep going down deeper. Anyone know if the plan is still to not have any below-grade parking? Seems like they're going down pretty far if they're not putting anything down there.

IMG_2107.jpg

Not unusual for such a Tall Structure.  This is why my estimate for vertical construction would be late 1st Quarter 2020 at the earliest.  Could be longer because Rock Excavation takes a lot of time.  It’s very hard for me to search for anything on this project as I’m not familiar with searching Mecklenburg County building Permits.  I’d love to see what type of foundation they’ll use.  

If its MicroPiles then that phase could take another 60/90 days after Foundation Excavation is completed although a site this large could do some of both operations simultaneously.   Drilling/Blasting/Excavating Rock along one side of the site and Drilling/Tremie Grout Placement of MicroPiles along the other side.  Just depends on a lot of things.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not unusual for such a Tall Structure.  This is why my estimate for vertical construction would be late 1st Quarter 2020 at the earliest.  Could be longer because Rock Excavation takes a lot of time.  It’s very hard for me to search for anything on this project as I’m not familiar with searching Mecklenburg County building Permits.  I’d love to see what type of foundation they’ll use.  

If its MicroPiles then that phase could take another 60/90 days after Foundation Excavation is completed although a site this large could do some of both operations simultaneously.   Drilling/Blasting/Excavating Rock along one side of the site and Drilling/Tremie Grout Placement of MicroPiles along the other side.  Just depends on a lot of things.  

I'm assuming micropiles but I didn't realize they'd have to go down that far before drilling the piles.

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'm assuming micropiles but I didn't realize they'd have to go down that far before drilling the piles.

Yes - Typically for MicroPile Foundations the Engineer requires the Contractor get the Embankment down to within a Tenth (10th of a Foot) of the Planned Top of Ground Elevation prior to Drilling in the MicroPiles.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Yes - Typically for MicroPile Foundations the Engineer requires the Contractor get the Embankment down to within a Tenth (10th of a Foot) of the Planned Top of Ground Elevation prior to Drilling in the MicroPiles.  

Right, I think my misunderstanding came from not realizing there were basement levels and a vault below grade.

I keep asking the same question, it seems like they are creating a flat floor and then they send the dynamite truck in for more blasting.  Will be glad to see this going vertical.  There is a pile of heavier rebar close to the orange Porto Johns and the hut, maybe they will start foundation work soon.

• Like 3