Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

7 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I think the real question is, why does the symmetry of the skyline even matter?

It DOESNT at all. Someone said it wasn’t balanced and I agreed from the standpoint of Uptown. We were just saying we like a well balanced skyline but 20 people seemed to want to disagree on a small opinion....so I guess that question should be directly towards them. :tw_sleepy:

Edited by j-man
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I think the real question is, why does the symmetry of the skyline even matter?

Bingo. It doesn’t. Some people reach for the negative things. 

Charlotte has a great skyline that punches above it’s weight. Period. It’s super symmetric when viewing it from a distance because most don’t consider sky house as part of the skyline- it’s too distanced from the cluster. The center of Uptown is changing- there is no arguing that. Whether someone wants to understand that or not- is up to them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I have said I understand your viewpoint, you don't need to expand upon it. But if a skyline becomes one cohesive form, nobody is going to be saying Skyline A, and Skyline B. 

The likely verifiable fact, is the most photographed and cited version of the Charlotte skyline goes from 277 to 8th St.  If you use that as a sample, its probably the most symmetrical skyline around.

I was done talking about this a long time ago but I had to keep explaining to people that act like I’m crazy. And tbh when you google in pictures  “Charlotte skyline.” SouthEnd is not included, it’s  only the loop so...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lot in that little diagram I created that should excite y'all tho.

Yes, now that everyone seems to understand what the other was saying, lets talk about that diagram.  Are there hints in there to developments that we do not know about?  I post this question in the SouthEnd thread so that we can keep things on topic.

Edited by jtmonk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Bingo. It doesn’t. Some people reach for the negative things. 

Charlotte has a great skyline that punches above it’s weight. Period. It’s super symmetric when viewing it from a distance because most don’t consider sky house as part of the skyline- it’s too distanced from the cluster. The center of Uptown is changing- there is no arguing that. Whether someone wants to understand that or not- is up to them. 

This sounds directed to me but it falls short. NoBODY said the skylines focus is not changing. I totally see that. All I said what’s that the skyline isn’t really symmetrical from north to south of the Uptown boundary. Nobody disagrees with that but people read what they want and miss the point so that’s why I have to keep explaining it. And like I said a long time ago...it doesn’t even matter. I just agreed with a person saying that we wished the uptown skyline was given equal skyscrapers. 

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lot in that little diagram I created that should excite y'all tho.

What do you mean? 

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

I was done talking about this a long time ago but I had to keep explaining to people that act like I’m crazy. And tbh when you google in pictures  “Charlotte skyline.” SouthEnd is not included, it’s  only the loop so...

It only shows 277 to 8th, just like I said, so symmetrical. But yes, it doesn't matter. 

3 minutes ago, j-man said:

This sounds directed to me but it falls short. NoBODY said the skylines focus is not changing. I totally see that. All I said what’s that the skyline isn’t really symmetrical from north to south of the Uptown boundary. Nobody disagrees with that but people read what they want and miss the point so that’s why I have to keep explaining it. And like I said a long time ago...it doesn’t even matter. I just agreed with a person saying that we wished the uptown skyline was given equal skyscrapers. 

What do you mean? 

My diagram has several unannounced projects in it. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Let me just say that some things stay behind the scenes for a long time. In fact, all things do, and theres a lot in planning that you guys have no idea about that will make SouthEnd be way more uptown-like.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a not so good thing. I hope it’s buildings with character (like Loew’s) and not soulless glass walls with uninviting retail.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It only shows 277 to 8th, just like I said, so symmetrical. But yes, it doesn't matter. 

This is my whole point in one pic... and what is considered the skyline of Uptown. Those future projects will help my wish to balancing out Uptown

5F9509D1-B29C-47C0-9348-0425958F143A.jpeg

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

This is my whole point in one pic... and what is considered the skyline of Uptown. 

5F9509D1-B29C-47C0-9348-0425958F143A.jpeg

LOL, you will find my name on the article this picture (created the picture too) is from, notice how I have lots of buildings being mentioned as being off picture, in the top left. Thats because its hard to create a compelling image that takes up that much distance. 

Edited by Guest

Totally agree with j-man. The skyline is not symmetrical when looked from certain angles. SouthEnd is not Uptown, or city center. It will never be considered part of Uptown when the "valley of 277" divides the two sections. It's a ridiculous statement.  However, it really does not matter. We have a beautiful skyline and SouthEnd will only enhance it even more, but not by be part of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, you will find my name on the article this picture (created the picture too) is from, notice how I have lots of buildings being mentioned as being off picture, in the top left. Thats because its hard to create a compelling image that takes up that much distance. 

First of all Great pic! lol but this still proves the point to my opinion. Even if SouthEnd has 100 buildings that are 1000 ft high I was still ONLY talking about Uptown...

2 minutes ago, CLT_King said:

Totally agree with j-man. The skyline is not symmetrical when looked from certain angles. SouthEnd is not Uptown, or city center. It will never be considered part of Uptown when the "valley of 277" divides the two sections. It's a ridiculous statement.  However, it really does not matter. We have a beautiful skyline and SouthEnd will only enhance it even more, but not by be part of it. 

THANK YOU!! I’m glad God sent an angel to just see my point! :tw_joy:

• Like 1

First of all Great pic! lol but this still proves the point to my opinion. Even if SouthEnd has 100 buildings that are 1000 ft high I was still ONLY talking about Uptown...

How about this, if people aren't calling that part of South End Uptown in 8 years, I'll buy you & @CLT_King  a steak dinner. Plenty of instances of neighborhoods gobbling each other up all over this city. These massive development firms will do whatever they want with neighborhood names, and will get their way.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I think the bigger question is will we follow the same fate as Atlanta and just build in a linear pattern or start to branch off to the East and West into Midtown and Elizabeth?

Great point. And I think so mainly because of the Lynx  and the path that it follows. It’s kind of why SouthEnd is growing so tall and dense in a line. Like that. 

Edited by j-man

10 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I think the bigger question is will we follow the same fate as Atlanta and just build in a linear pattern or start to branch off to the East and West into Midtown and Elizabeth?

I think you will see density increase along Kenilworth, from stonewall out, and East Blvd PED overlay district is on the cusp of explosion. You can build pretty much anything within reason on East Blvd as long as you assemble enough land. Same goes for West Morehead, Graham, and someday the dam is going to burst and the Opportunity Zones on North Tryon will pickup. Elizabeth Avenue will be dictated by the less ballsy hospital. 

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

How about this, if people aren't calling that part of South End Uptown in 8 years, I'll buy you & @CLT_King  a steak dinner. Plenty of instances of neighborhoods gobbling each other up all over this city. These massive development firms will do whatever they want with neighborhood names, and will get their way.

Well get prepared to pay for my steak dinner because nobody (regular civilians) has the power to change the name of an area just because it becomes more dense or developed. If Southpark  or Midtown gets more building and looks like uptown it’s still going to be considered SouthPark or Midtown not Downtown or Uptown. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Well get prepared to pay for my steak dinner because nobody has the power to change the name of an area just because it becomes more dense or developed. If Southpark  or Midtown gets more building and looks like uptown it’s still going to be considered SouthPark or Midtown not Downtown or Uptown. 

You do realize how many neighborhoods are considered NoDa now, by name? Same with Plaza Midwood? I can do it in other cities too. Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho or Kipsbay, Tutor City, Murray Hill

But hey, steak in 8 years. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You do realize how many neighborhoods are considered NoDa now, by name? Same with Plaza Midwood? I can do it in other cities too. Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho or Kipsbay, Tutor City, Murray Hill

But hey, steak in 8 years. 

No steak now because I’m right. Lol like someone said earlier, 277 is way too big and prominent and divides them and that’s why there is such a thing as uptown vs SouthEnd. Nothing would bridge them together unless the entire road is removed. Thats how I see it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

No steak now because I’m right. Lol like someone said earlier, 277 is way too big and prominent and divides them and that’s why there is such a thing as uptown vs SouthEnd. Nothing would bridge them together unless the entire road is removed. Thats how I see it. 

and that movement has a ground swell of support from city council. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

and that movement has a ground swell of support from city council. 

But wont happen anytime soon.  NCDOT would have to approve and that is not going to happen UNTIL traffic substantially decreases and many of us will be dead by then.   Uptown employers would scream bloody murder too if you removed as how would you get the workers uptown when there are only 1 train line and does not nowhere near serve the amount of people that work uptown.     Lets first build the 400 foot tower just outside the loop and fill in the other low rise buildings and vacant land in uptown before we start removing highways.  I must be the only person who ever drives uptown in this urban planet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

But wont happen anytime soon.  NCDOT would have to approve and that is not going to happen UNTIL traffic substantially decreases and many of us will be dead by then.   Uptown employers would scream bloody murder too if you removed as how would you get the workers uptown when there are only 1 train line and does not nowhere near serve the amount of people that work uptown.     Lets first build the 400 foot tower just outside the loop and fill in the other low rise buildings and vacant land in uptown before we start removing highways.  I must be the only person who ever drives uptown in this urban planet. 

John Belk section could easily be replaced by a boulevard, with no issue. There is a ton of connectivity if you reclaim the grid between southend and uptown. Its been studied.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Exactly! And I drive uptown like every other day. It’s a clear difference from uptown and SouthEnd. And for the record  there are  buildings and/or businesses that have the words “SouthEnd” or “Uptown” in the name, and I truly don’t see them changing that. 

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

Exactly! And I drive uptown like every other day. It’s a clear difference from uptown and SouthEnd. And for the record  there are  buildings and/or businesses that have the words “SouthEnd” or “Uptown” in the name, and I truly don’t see them changing that. 

including Uptown Cabaret which resides firmly in South End

Edited by Guest