Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

John Belk section could easily be replaced by a boulevard, with no issue. There is a ton of connectivity if you reclaim the grid between southend and uptown. Its been studied.

Wouldn't something be lost if out of towners who might now use 277 in order to traverse the city be forced to use 485?   I talk to  a fair amount of other 'ham radio operators ' across the country who have nothing but good things to say about our city after having driven through uptown, downtown, Southend, etc on those freeways.  Otherwise, I think they would've avoided seeing our fair city.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

including Uptown Cabaret which resides firmly in South End

I was waiting on someone to point that one out. That one probably has that name because of its proximity and views of uptown. 

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Boulevard yes but I keep hearing people on this board say no highway at all.    Lets all worry about the vast amount of vacant land and underutilized land in uptown right now I would like to see that all built out. 

Right. And trust me. Those lots will be developed far before SouthEnd is linked to Uptown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Wouldn't something be lost if out of towners who might now use 277 in order to traverse the city be forced to use 485?   I talk to  a fair amount of other 'ham radio operators ' across the country who have nothing but good things to say about our city after having driven through uptown, downtown, Southend, etc on those freeways.  Otherwise, I think they would've avoided seeing our fair city.

277 doesn't really function in that manner though. The point of it is to be able to get from one end up uptown to the other quickly. I-77 cuts straight beside uptown. The only detriment would be connectivity to 74 which can be done via boulevard. 

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Boulevard yes but I keep hearing people on this board say no highway at all.    Lets all worry about the vast amount of vacant land and underutilized land in uptown right now I would like to see that all built out. 

A lot of us have settled on the boulevard with greenway concept.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

277 doesn't really function in that manner though. The point of it is to be able to get from one end up uptown to the other quickly. I-77 cuts straight beside uptown. The only detriment would be connectivity to 74 which can be done via boulevard. 

A lot of us have settled on the boulevard with greenway concept.

However, there are a lot of midwesterners who drive the Brookshire to 74 on their way to Myrtle Beach.  I appreciate your views. I personally use it every day to drive our deposit down from North Charlotte to the Wells Fargo in Midtown (maybe I shouldn't telegraph this ?:-).   That, believe it or not, is my closest branch. 

24 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

However, there are a lot of midwesterners who drive the Brookshire to 74 on their way to Myrtle Beach.  I appreciate your views. I personally use it every day to drive our deposit down from North Charlotte to the Wells Fargo in Midtown (maybe I shouldn't telegraph this ?:-).   That, believe it or not, is my closest branch. 

Very good point about Myrtle Beach as well as Wilmington.

I'd imagine most would then go 77 to 485 to 74 instead next time.

Edited by Guest

I think people overestimate 277 being a barrier. What was a barrier were empty lots and no people.

plenty of large cities have train tracks and highways going through the city. Most of uptown is less connected (gateway) to the rest of uptown than SouthEnd. 

as “Downtown” gets bigger and grows together, uptown will be viewed as a  a district in downtown, as will SouthEnd. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Suddenly I agree with J-man..

I'd have guessed you would love this discussion. More height in Southend baby. :tw_joy:

But I think one thing is that Charlotte's skyline has always just been uptown with maybe the Arlington or a couple other buildings being visible from certain angle. So what @j-man is arguing is just that he's hoping the skyline of uptown doesn't shift because in the past it's been so beautifully symmetrical centered on the BOA center. I think y'all are just kind of splitting hairs at this point with each other. Btw thanks for the treat you shared there @ricky_davis_fan_21

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I'd have guessed you would love this discussion. More height in Southend baby. :tw_joy:

But I think one thing is that Charlotte's skyline has always just been uptown with maybe the Arlington or a couple other buildings being visible from certain angle. So what @j-man is arguing is just that he's hoping the skyline of uptown doesn't shift because in the past it's been so beautifully symmetrical centered on the BOA center. I think y'all are just kind of splitting hairs at this point with each other. Btw thanks for the treat you shared there @ricky_davis_fan_21

Yes this is exactly what I’m saying. Because before Duke or LU was even there Uptown only had two mega towers and they were centrally located. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

NCDOT would have to approve and that is not going to happen UNTIL traffic substantially decreases and many of us will be dead by then.   

277s traffic count is much smaller on that side of town than a 3 lane interstate should be. Even before and during Panthers games, the vast majority take surface streets. The north portion of 277 could remain to connect 77 to 74, the south portion is useless. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

277s traffic count is much smaller on that side of town than a 3 lane interstate should be. Even before and during Panthers games, the vast majority take surface streets. The north portion of 277 could remain to connect 77 to 74, the south portion is useless. 

Huh??? On what data do you base this assertion?

The 2016 AADT volumes published by NCDOT for almost all points of the John Belk are 90K-100K.  That’s in line with 485 and Johnston Rd-also a 3 lane section of interstate.  And it’s significantly higher than the traffic counts on all points of 485 north of 85 which varies between 3 and 4 lanes per direction.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/imgdot/DOTTSUMaps/AADT_URBANS/CHARLOTTE_URBAN/2016/Charlotte.pdf

• Like 2

13 hours ago, QCxpat said:

8:30 A.M. Saturday, February 8, 2020 - Happy to report that the Parking Hut is safe & on duty

Spoke to a Superintendent, Michael (very nice guy) this morning who said that DEC2 will take approx. 3-1/2 years to complete. 

During construction, the Hut will be kept on-site but moved around, as necessary.  He wasn't sure of its ultimate fate though.

thanks and I actually drove by the  on Stonewall and looked over and saw the HUT still standing.  My friends who lived used to live in Austin said Charlotte was booming like that city they now live in Richmond which is not growing anywhere near as fast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Besides a little hut building,do I  see the third crane base concrete pad as promised to me by a contractor on site in the corner by St Peters fellowship hall building on the College St side?  He told me there would be 3 cranes on site.  Near that driveway entrance in the bottom left corner on the 2nd aerial photo. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

So I woulda put this in the LU thread, but anyway, it's Duke-related, so here goes- are there any plans to save the neon art thing from the side of the old HQ building?  If it is saved, let's hear your ideas for what to do with it!  :alc:

It would be cool to have at the intersection of Stonewall/Tryon. Or at least pretty low. Not sure if it would blind people though, lol 

• Like 1