Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

3 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Didn't someone say the floor count had increased though? Did the floor count actually decrease?

That's what the previous info was on the tower. More floors but the same height. Hopefully the decrease doesn't stick.

• Like 2

That’s still pretty tall.

It is and I’m glad but also disappointed. Perhaps there are some legit reasons for losing some height.
It was supposed to be 40 floors and 660’ I think. Now down to 609’. In the scheme of things on a several hundreds of millions dollars new construction building how much are they saving by shaving 51’. Even if that 50ft is in the loss of a floor or two.
In a case like this I can’t help but think that some talks were had and deals made to keep it a little shorter than the new Bank of America Tower aka LU1 which it is in close proximity to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yo Diaz! said:

It is and I’m glad but also disappointed. Perhaps there are some legit reasons for losing some height.
It was supposed to be 40 floors and 660’ I think. Now down to 609’. In the scheme of things on a several hundreds of millions dollars new construction building how much are they saving by shaving 51’. Even if that 50ft is in the loss of a floor or two.
In a case like this I can’t help but think that some talks were had and deals made to keep it a little shorter than the new Bank of America Tower aka LU1 which it is in close proximity to.

None of it makes any sense, especially if the added floor count is true.  Why would Childress-Klein be beholden to Lincoln-Harris for any reason?  Plus hasn’t this tower already been pre-sold?   So the $675M purchase price now will deliver a smaller leasable product?  It’s all weird. 

• Like 2

It hasn’t been 660 in a long time, most recent before this was 631’10”

I was worried they had VE’d the sloped roof, thank goodness they haven’t. That said, it doesn’t look as dramatic an angle but still looks good! Shame about the height though. 

They also appear to have got rid of that weird textured box thing facing Tryon. 

And, from this Brit living here in Charlotte, Happy Traitors’ Day! 

That weird textured box was going to covered in media mesh, so I’m very sad it’s gone.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, CLT704 said:

I was worried they had VE’d the sloped roof, thank goodness they haven’t. That said, it doesn’t look as dramatic an angle but still looks good! Shame about the height though. 

There's a small development of about six, 600' towers on the Upper West Side of Manhattan that have very similar roof lines if you're curious to see how DEC2 should look when it's completed.

https://waterlinesquare.com/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Any idea why this thing is being VE'd so much?  Is the economy the big factor, or is it a combination of things?

I’m curious as well, but not surprised in the least.  Ambitious plans and splashy renderings rarely turn out as promised.  This is starting to sound like 1BAC that was going to have some really cool lighting or some other neat features  (as noted by others here) then 2008 hit and it got dumbed down.  Still a strong piece of work, but not fully realized.  Lots of world-altering events happening so frequently recently to not have effects on these projects as they are in planning or progress.   Like trying to thread a needle.  

• Thanks 1

Well the only good thing about this is that you can shave off about a month of time of the expected date of topping out and completion. 

Maybe a week.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, Yeahdoug said:

The Asian restaurant is still there I think next to museum tower, but next to it all down church and then around corner down stonewall is empty. Is that where the athletic club was? It doesn’t look like from the old signage that anything has been there for a while. 

Yes, that's where the Athletic club used to be.

• Thanks 1