Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

51 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Talking about Duke Energy Center,  from a friend Wells sent out an email today they will completely take the DEC space and put 3000 employees. They building is getting a new name in 2022 as well. I feel Wells is going to be expanding office space in the area, even as they get out of 1 Wells. All Wells employees are going to be back in the office soon too. Give it a year and we are going to be back at 90% capacity in Uptown again. 

Are those new jobs or relocated ones from elsewhere? HQ move from San Francisco possibly? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

Are those new jobs or relocated ones from elsewhere? HQ move from San Francisco possibly? 

Well the email says room for 3000 employees, it doesn't say new jobs. There were space issues at Wells before the Pandemic, and with Wells wanting everyone back and moving employees out of 1 Wells, I have to imagine this is the move to partially resolve those issues.  I would imagine Wells is going to have to get more uptown office space after consolidation though. This just is a huge cost saving move for them as they can move all Employees from One Wells into DEC, as its about the same Square footage, and have teams less spread across the city. If I had to guess, I would think Wells gets space in any upcoming Legacy Union Office project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Well the email says room for 3000 employees, it doesn't say new jobs. There were space issues at Wells before the Pandemic, and with Wells wanting everyone back and moving employees out of 1 Wells, I have to imagine this is the move to partially resolve those issues.  I would imagine Wells is going to have to get more uptown office space after consolidation though. This just is a huge cost saving move for them as they can move all Employees from One Wells into DEC, as its about the same Square footage, and have teams less spread across the city. If I had to guess, I would think Wells gets space in any upcoming Legacy Union Office project. 

Thanks. Good news about the Duke Energy building being filled by Wells Fargo but also unfortunate to hear about 1 Wells Fargo being vacated by them. Hopefully it doesn’t stay empty for long. 

1 hour ago, 49er said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2021/04/27/wells-fargo-ceo-was-asked-at-the-annual-meeting-wh.html

Paywalled article but from what I can see in the preview the CEO of Wells really dodged questions about a move out of CA.  

Here is the important part of the dialogue about the HQ and San Fran:

""Specifically, Scharf was asked through a moderator reading questions, “When will the Wells Fargo headquarters be officially moved to New York City from San Francisco?” The questioner noted that all the direct reports to the CEO, with the exception of three, are now on the East Coast. Two are in San Francisco and one in Portland, Oregon. 

“Furthermore, neither San Francisco nor California has been business friendly to the bank. Why not move?” the shareholder asked.  Those still hoping that Scharf, who is based in New York, would state a commitment — or otherwise — to keeping its headquarters in San Francisco are sure to be equally disappointed. “San Francisco is still very very important to the company,” Scharf responded. “We have executives, and I’ll define the executives more broadly than the question was, in many locations around the United States.

“We have a hugely significant presence in North Carolina, for example, we have a hugely significant presence in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Iowa, in Arizona, in parts of Texas, and other locations,” Scharf said. “We are representative of where there are significant populations around this country and that will continue.  “The importance of California to us is as strong as it ever was.” The question about Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC) moving its headquarters out of San Francisco comes as some of the Bay Area’s most successful companies have moved their headquarters out of California in recent years, including Charles Schwab, McKesson, Oracle and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. All four left for Texas.""

KJ says:  all I can say this does not sound like a long term commitment to San Fran but what does it mean for Charlotte?  I think the bank is growing here at the expense of other locales across the country for lots of reasons.     

I am excited they will be taking over the Duke space they own the building and it is very cheap space for them relatively speaking.  If I was running Wells any job that can be done in Charlotte vs. the higher cost places where they have major offices I would post that job here.  (and actually they have been doing this for years esp. with California based positions) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the important part of the dialogue about the HQ and San Fran:

""Specifically, Scharf was asked through a moderator reading questions, “When will the Wells Fargo headquarters be officially moved to New York City from San Francisco?” The questioner noted that all the direct reports to the CEO, with the exception of three, are now on the East Coast. Two are in San Francisco and one in Portland, Oregon. 

“Furthermore, neither San Francisco nor California has been business friendly to the bank. Why not move?” the shareholder asked.  Those still hoping that Scharf, who is based in New York, would state a commitment — or otherwise — to keeping its headquarters in San Francisco are sure to be equally disappointed. “San Francisco is still very very important to the company,” Scharf responded. “We have executives, and I’ll define the executives more broadly than the question was, in many locations around the United States.

“We have a hugely significant presence in North Carolina, for example, we have a hugely significant presence in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Iowa, in Arizona, in parts of Texas, and other locations,” Scharf said. “We are representative of where there are significant populations around this country and that will continue.  “The importance of California to us is as strong as it ever was.” The question about Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC) moving its headquarters out of San Francisco comes as some of the Bay Area’s most successful companies have moved their headquarters out of California in recent years, including Charles Schwab, McKesson, Oracle and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. All four left for Texas.""

KJ says:  all I can say this does not sound like a long term commitment to San Fran but what does it mean for Charlotte?  I think the bank is growing here at the expense of other locales across the country for lots of reasons.     

I am excited they will be taking over the Duke space they own the building and it is very cheap space for them relatively speaking.  If I was running Wells any job that can be done in Charlotte vs. the higher cost places where they have major offices I would post that job here.  (and actually they have been doing this for years esp. with California based positions) 

KJ: Does Wells own any other land or under used space in Uptown?

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

KJ: Does Wells own any other land or under used space in Uptown?

Wells owns Duke Energy Center, Three Wells Fargo tower and  Two Wells Fargo on S Tryon and I think that is it.  They lease space at One Wells Fargo shrinking their space there,  300 South Brevard the whole building .  In terms of land I dont think they have any I know of.   They have been spending money out at their Customer Information Center on Harris Blvd  (about 2 M sq ft)  and of course they lease that building at Ballantyne .   I would say they say with the news of the day they will plenty of room to grown in their own building DEC or whatever they will call it next year when Duke leaves.   I would say this also cancels any future big leases at Ballantyne for the time being.    I think they want to be their own landlord like what Truist likes to do and with their purchase of Hearst Tower.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Wells owns Duke Energy Center, Three Wells Fargo tower and  Two Wells Fargo on S Tryon and I think that is it.  They lease space at One Wells Fargo shrinking their space there,  300 South Brevard the whole building .  In terms of land I dont think they have any I know of.   They have been spending money out at their Customer Information Center on Harris Blvd  (about 2 M sq ft)  and of course they lease that building at Ballantyne .   I would say they say with the news of the day they will plenty of room to grown in their own building DEC or whatever they will call it next year when Duke leaves.   I would say this also cancels any future big leases at Ballantyne for the time being.    I think they want to be their own landlord like what Truist likes to do and with their purchase of Hearst Tower.  

I am curious because I think the space at DEC gets eaten up fast since they are removing their footprint everywhere else and consolidating into their owned buildings. I was wondering if they might have more land which to build on in the future. I suppose they could always buy a building. 

Wooo boy, pretty sexy looking tower. Best tower in the last decade some one asked? Possibly, hope the retail aspect works well. Personally, I think 300ST is slightly underrated due to its height but back to the beast. Renderings are still kind of ninja about the backend (college side) of the tower. I asked this Awhile back too but never saw a response. What are the retail specs/blueprints looking like on this? I remember there being retail on Tryon and college side but just needed a refresher. So happy the video wall is back (hopefully).

*Just noticed this in one of the renderings. The Westin hotel street front is updated/renovated!!! I know it’s just for the rendering but damn, it needs something like that. Seriously though, Westin is getting left behind on that street, needs a makeover bad along stonewall. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Thanks 1

• dubone changed the title to Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower
14 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

the question now is will this tower be the headquarters of Duke Energy or just Duke Energy Carolinas? 

Elliott Urges Duke Energy to Consider Separation Into Three Companies

Yah, Elliot isn't going to get that to happen. Duke is more likely to expand and double in size then to split into 3 companies.

• Like 1