Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

2 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I believe it was stated somewhere that this new tower will definitely have a lighting scheme. Seeing the tower in person you can even see where the lights are on the sides and corners of the tower.

That’s excellent news, thank you! :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I believe it was stated somewhere that this new tower will definitely have a lighting scheme. Seeing the tower in person you can even see where the lights are on the sides and corners of the tower.

If you look at the recessed black insets you can see the LED uplight strips installed in places, so I’m pretty sure the vertical elements on all the sides will light up like DEC.  You may not be able to see them in pics but you can see them in person.  I have no idea what, if anything, is planned for the top. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

586BE710-566B-446A-93F2-E02100E50DC6.jpeg

It appears the lighting scheme will be similar to Duke Energy, with lighting all the way up and down the corners and center portions of the building, and the “top” lit up as well. 

313C9536-B386-49B7-BD06-EECC70F94385.jpeg

So this is mildly interesting to see.  In the rendering at the bottom, the parapet walls appear to be constructed of steel starting from the top of the roof, (check the backside of panels facing College St. at their base) but in reality, those first two floors of curtain wall above the highest occupied floor appear to be made of concrete.  The rendering doesn't look like the actual.  If the "crown" is lit from behind, there's going to be a pretty identifiable demarcation between the concrete and steel transition for those parapets, won't there?  Or is there something I'm not seeing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

So this is mildly interesting to see.  In the rendering at the bottom, the parapet walls appear to be constructed of steel starting from the top of the roof, (check the backside of panels facing College St. at their base) but in reality, those first two floors of curtain wall above the highest occupied floor appear to be made of concrete.  The rendering doesn't look like the actual.  If the "crown" is lit from behind, there's going to be a pretty identifiable demarcation between the concrete and steel transition for those parapets, won't there?  Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Good question. I’m honestly trying to figure out where we are with construction. Are we at the red line, or the yellow line? Hmm…

2D4CF5D8-33A6-4370-8D7F-20F09159F777.jpeg

Edited by JorgiPorgi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Red.

From counting the floors, it appears that we are at the yellow line in construction. The 40th floor is that last occupied floor, and then there appears to be two stories of concrete skeleton above that. Essentially I’m thinking the east facing side of the tower is almost as high as it will get, while the west side has about 3-4ish more floors of glass to complete the top. 

3 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

From counting the floors, it appears that we are at the yellow line in construction. The 40th floor is that last occupied floor, and then there appears to be two stories of concrete skeleton above that. Essentially I’m thinking the east facing side of the tower is almost as high as it will get, while the west side has about 3-4ish more floors of glass to complete the top. 

Yellow isn't poured concrete.

Brings to mind a story from last year that NewEra Energy was trying to buy Duke.  Anyone have any idea as to whether that could happen, and if the combined company would be headquartered here instead of Juno Beach Fl?  It would seem that with the tech resources here that would make great sense.

2 hours ago, DMann said:

Brings to mind a story from last year that NewEra Energy was trying to buy Duke.  Anyone have any idea as to whether that could happen, and if the combined company would be headquartered here instead of Juno Beach Fl?  It would seem that with the tech resources here that would make great sense.

Not sure about this one, FPL is building a massive HQ in Juno right now. 

3 hours ago, DMann said:

As luck would have it, this was in the Biz Journal a couple days ago:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/11/15/duke-energy-elliott-management-reach-truce.html

”Duke Energy Corp. has won at least a year’s peace with activist shareholder Elliott Management Corp. 

It has agreed to put two Elliott-approved directors on its board. In exchange, the parties have reached a yearlong “standstill” agreement that prevents Elliott from proposing proxy solicitations to split Duke, add more adherents to the board or oppose any board policies.”

• Like 1