Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

57 minutes ago, MarcoPolo said:

Please someone pass out John Gehl's Life Between Buildings, or William Whyte's The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces and City: Rediscovering the Center.  Wonderful books on the subject of urban/civic space design, published before most on this forum were born.  The quicker we can skill up those responsible for building our City, the faster we can avoid suffering their relentless rediscoveries of failed design ideas from the past.

Off topic -- I love these books. I did my Masters Thesis on these books. If CCCP or the City Planning Dept. do not have these books on their shelves and in their practice, they are making a huge mistake. The Gehl Practice is still active, and I would be so happy to see a collaboration in Charlotte. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarcoPolo said:

Apologies for the salty commentary.  Not directed at you BJKM.   I'm just disheartened by the never ending "one step forward...one step backward" progress of city building here in Charlotte.  So much potential, diluted by so much mediocrity.   

Oh I agree. I think coming from my former life as a teacher that you kind of just learn to be thankful for whatever positive you can find in something haha. 

I do appreciate the book recs though :)

• Like 1

Looks like a huge set back + Stairs too. Though it doesn’t look bad and I’m optimistic it can add vibrancy to the ground level (restaurants with lots of outdoor seating would be awesome). Any idea of what the ground level may end up looking like (IE, renderings?) 

• Like 3

I'm sorry if this has been asked here a million times, but it's been driving me NUTS as I look at this building every day and compare it to BofA Tower (formerly Legacy Union).
What is the actual height of this building?
Charlotte Biz Journal / Emporis (SIDE NOTE: OMG RIP EMPORIS! Did you all know it shut down last month?) say 598 feet. Skyscraper Center / Council Urban Habitat Tall Buildings say 629 feet.
Seems pretty close at first, but the thing that is driving me crazy is nearby BofA Tower's height is 632 feet, which all above sources above agree on, and this building looks ALMOST the same height to me, from various angles, and not a full 30 feet shorter, if I had to guess. Also, if it is the 629-foot height, Charlotte can add another 600-footer to its roster, for nerds like me who care about something like that.
Thank you to anyone who addresses my quiet anguish over this.

Nooooo not Emporis!! I’ve used that website for years…. Yeah I agree that the BofA and Duke Energy Plaza appear they can’t be more than 15 feet a part.
  • Like 2