Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Digging a huge underground parking garage between 2 of them could be risky (remember there is a garage under the Harvey B Gantt too).

Additional risk is moderate to low. This is done with every urban project in all the major cities in this country, so the experience/knowledge is there. I think they could bury 4 levels of the garage at least, and I think they should make that a priority.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

Additional risk is moderate to low. This is done with every urban project in all the major cities in this country, so the experience/knowledge is there. I think they could bury 4 levels of the garage at least, and I think they should make that a priority.

Then it is a pure financial decision.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^since there is no design review board or other public input and oversight? Cost should not be the only criteria. For a project this size what percent increase do the experts expect burying the garage would cost?

Probably $35M to have above ground deck 1,400 spaces, and $65M to do below ground.

The way I see it is money. $30 million can go into other things rather than a parking deck. The parking fees and $25 game day prices are the same whether they are above or below ground. Utilities have to be cautious too by not gold plating things if any cost was to be recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, xx_.ajj said:

I know this is really off topic, but Charlotte needs to entice Belk to build a uptown store. Uptown has been lacking in shopping since they  closed Belk in 1988, and Ivey's in 1990. Hopefully, just like how Dallas has Neiman Marcus downtown, Charlotte will once again have an amazing department store in its core!

Belk is no longer Belk. It is an out of town VC firm who probably overpaid for the brand alone. Belk has already closed a flagship in Atlanta, and isn't opening large urban stores anymore. 

Duke will not be an owner operator. They plan a renter financed building. Basically build their own HQ then sell to a purchaser and rent the building back from them. This typically leads to more conservative, more universal floor plans. I'm gonna love a 660' building, but this isn't going to be the WF, BofA era of flagship buildings. I personally think Duke would be more cost conscious than most Fortune 200 company HQs. Hopefully they bring more Raleigh based employees and add on to the 39 floors. Kind of surprising to have a net DECREASE in floor space, but that is the era we are entering with more remote workers.  

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

50 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Belk is no longer Belk. It is an out of town VC firm who probably overpaid for the brand alone. Belk has already closed a flagship in Atlanta, and isn't opening large urban stores anymore. 

That's unfortunately true. When they closed the Flagship at Phipps down in Atlanta, I knew they had truly went un-southern.   

What do you estimate the entire project at? I know it's a wild guess at this point. Trying to get a feeling on the impact of 30M.

Depends on a lot of factors. Probably $500M

5 hours ago, C85 said:

Legacy Union is 632 feet. It has 33 floors, and if you divide that you get 19.15. If you multiply 19.15 by 39 you get 746.85 feet tall so you never know if it won't be taller than 625 feet.

With Duke planning a 39 Floor building - My conservative height estimate would be 690 - 730 including architectural feature.  Definitely won't be a new Tallest but I believe it will be designed to take  3rd Tallest in Charlotte.  If they build on top of the parking deck then definitely will be 3rd Tallest.  I hope the design is modern and compliments DEC1 in shape and lighting.

Duke will not be an owner operator. They plan a renter financed building. Basically build their own HQ then sell to a purchaser and rent the building back from them. This typically leads to more conservative, more universal floor plans. I'm gonna love a 660' building, but this isn't going to be the WF, BofA era of flagship buildings. I personally think Duke would be more cost conscious than most Fortune 200 company HQs. Hopefully they bring more Raleigh based employees and add on to the 39 floors. Kind of surprising to have a net DECREASE in floor space, but that is the era we are entering with more remote workers.  

A Duke internal document about the announcement of the tower says there are no plans to move employees from Raleigh to Charlotte and that they are committed to maintaining a strong regional HQ presence in the state capital.

• Like 1

So......lets speculate about the 526 S Church building that Duke will be leaving.  Certainly is ugly and brutalistic, but it takes a whole block.  It has a dedicated parking lot across the street, so any building or buildings replacing it would not necessarily have to build parking.  The location and proximity to Romare Bearden Park as well as all the major downtown employers could seem like a good spot for residential, and if the Silver Line ever did go down under NSRR tracks and out to the airport what a great location.  I think the 401 College location is a no brainer for an eventual 1000 room hotel, but this 526 spot is very interesting!!!

• Like 3