Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that something like this tower that's rising on 53rd Street would look great on the site of the old Duke HQ.

b75c0539f322ed3f8104d3933bf8cbb075957ed3.png

Okay, that one I could probably get behind, at least from that angle. Some of the others I’ve seen, not so much. I still would like a super tall that stands out from every angle.

• Like 2

Theres a big big difference between office space and condos. This would never ever fly as a office tower, anywhere. If you can find people in Charlotte to spend probably $5-15M for condos, you could maybe make this happen.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres a big big difference between office space and condos. This would never ever fly as a office tower, anywhere. If you can find people in Charlotte to spend probably $5-15M for condos, you could maybe make this happen.

Lots of buildings in NY are mixed-use towers that contain office space and hotels/condos.  Even the new 2m sf tower announced yesterday will be.  The Bloomberg Tower also comes to mind.   Such a configuration could bring a pretty tall tower to Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Back to Duke this needs to be at least 1 Million sq ft to hold them but might need to be bigger to allow for growth and possibly of additional mergers between Duke and others.  

KJ, do you think the potential acquisition of Santee Cooper would delay this tower?  Would Duke possibly wait to see how that plays out before deciding how many floors they want?

37 minutes ago, CTiger said:

KJ, do you think the potential acquisition of Santee Cooper would delay this tower?  Would Duke possibly wait to see how that plays out before deciding how many floors they want?

No but I think Duke needs to plan for some growth as they can always lease some space out to others if they can't immediately use it.  But on the otherhand they may view some of their existing offices where they could expand if need be ie certain divisions stay put instead of moving into the new building. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that something like this tower that's rising on 53rd Street would look great on the site of the old Duke HQ.  BB&T could occupy some floors.  There could also be 30 floors of condos, 30 floors of rentals, and 15 floors of a very high-end hotel like a Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental.

b75c0539f322ed3f8104d3933bf8cbb075957ed3.png

Does everyone realize the issues we have when there is snow and ice coming off of the Duke Energy Building now?  Hell, they even rope off 3 Wells Fargo b/c of falling ice from the building.  Could you imagine what this kind of facade would let tumble down its sides here?????

:tw_lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of buildings in NY are mixed-use towers that contain office space and hotels/condos.  Even the new 2m sf tower announced yesterday will be.  The Bloomberg Tower also comes to mind.   Such a configuration could bring a pretty tall tower to Charlotte.

I've lived in NY for 11 years haha. I think I know how the buildings work here. I also know that 53W53 is all condos, with exception of MoMa expansion and a restaurant. Bloomberg Tower has large floorplates, just like all modern office towers. If you build an office tower in the format of 53W53 it will have real challenges leasing, the absolute largest floorplate in the building is 15,000 sq feet, at the ground floor. The rest is far smaller.  I mean fine, you could probably do it, but you'd have to charge $100 psf instead of $37 psf, and find people who don't want large continuous floor plans. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Boricua said:

no one he works with is happy with the design or look of BOAT at LU.  "It looks so old and dated". 

Like it or not, I think that is what they were going for though. 

“We are calling it Legacy Union because we want to honor our past and celebrate the promise of Charlotte’s future.” -Johno Harris

Based on what we are getting with LU2, I’m expecting the throwback tower in the center to be surrounded by more forward looking towers, but time will tell I suppose.

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 2