Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You know, I noticed that too, but the reflection of Duke Energy 1 is throwing me off so much, that I can't make heads or tails of a few things.

Frankly, if this does flare out, that would add to the beauty of the building. The more I look at it, the more I see it taper towards that reticulated section. And, honestly, I am trying to wrap my head around that section as well. It's an interesting choice to make it resemble being built over a much older building...something that is ironic considering Charlotte's fortunes in that dept. 

Again. Can’t wait to see the more interesting part of the building and not just the section that will pretty much be obscured.

the slant is a nice nod to how DEC looks. RDF did say the new tower would resemble DEC sort of. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

3 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

So since they're selling the old HQ, I imagine we will be seeing another demolition (albeit not as sad) uptown in the near future? 

I'd imagine we'll see a implosion in 2022.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Again. Can’t wait to see the more interesting part of the building and not just the section that will pretty much be obscured.

the slant is a nice nod to how DEC looks. RDF did say the new tower would resemble DEC sort of. 

It plays off DEC1 really well while being different enough. It also has chamfered corners of the main floor plates just like DEC1, The glass curtain wall continues out past the chamfer on the corners, you can barely make out the small supports on the high res version. Some good subtle elements that will help set it off from your typical box and make it architecturally interesting.

Plans have been filed, but nothing will typically be visible to the public online until approved and then it should become viewable/clickable. Thus, we wait.

• Like 2

It plays off DEC1 really well while being different enough. It also has chamfered corners of the main floor plates just like DEC1, The glass curtain wall continues out past the chamfer on the corners, you can barely make out the small supports on the high res version. Some good subtle elements that will help set it off from your typical box and make it architecturally interesting.
Plans have been filed, but nothing will typically be visible to the public online until approved and then it should become viewable/clickable. Thus, we wait.

Are they chamfered though? I thought so originally, but think it’s a reflection of DEC1 that happen to make it look that way. You can definitely see small supports and cleats. I’m curious about if this is a second skin or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in getting a more detailed look at the ground level. 25k sf of retail is not a small amount, so I'm hoping it's not a smaller number of huge spaces, as opposed to a larger number of medium to small spaces. Keep in mind a standard CVS is usually about ~10k sf, so the layout is key. Uptown desperately needs real plaza space, so I look forward to seeing how that shapes up and how it integrates with the Gant museum.

On a separate but related note, I sincerely hope they don't find a way to extend Overstreet. I don't know how they would do it, but when it comes to creating ways for people to not have to walk on a street I find developers to be quite clever.

2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm interested in getting a more detailed look at the ground level. 25k sf of retail is not a small amount, so I'm hoping it's not a smaller number of huge spaces, as opposed to a larger number of medium to small spaces. Keep in mind a standard CVS is usually about ~10k sf, so the layout is key. Uptown desperately needs real plaza space, so I look forward to seeing how that shapes up and how it integrates with the Gant museum.

On a separate but related note, I sincerely hope they don't find a way to extend Overstreet. I don't know how they would do it, but when it comes to creating ways for people to not have to walk on a street I find developers to be quite clever.

Doesn’t it look like an arcade ?

26 minutes ago, Dale said:

Doesn’t it look like an arcade ?

Possibly. It's hard to tell. I'm skeptical of arcades though, because Wachovia/WF designed the same thing in the DPT and it's been mostly a flop. The moral of the story is modern arcades aren't designed very well.

5 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Cycle has fallen a great deal.  Charlotte is one of the few fast growing metros with a government helping.  We buck the trend.  Levine will miss it 

You mean *without* the help of government ? I don’t know, I see boom everywhere. Example: downtown Tampa is projected to have 20 or more cranes in the air this year.

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I would think Suntrust has a good chance of being around 600 feet. I expect honeywell to be around 400'

With a possible taller SunTrust building then Project 561 in Greensboro could push out PNC, but 561 is in the same iffy category as that Elizabeth Midtown tower as to if or when it'll get built