Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

10 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

With a possible taller SunTrust building then Project 561 in Greensboro could push out PNC, but 561 is in the same iffy category as that Elizabeth Midtown tower as to if or when it'll get built

Was there even a bonafide, developer released rendering for Project 561? Its been complete lip service for 3+ years. NAI Tower is zoning approved, has renderings, and had a lot of community dialogue. 

32 minutes ago, Dale said:

You mean *without* the help of government ? I don’t know, I see boom everywhere. Example: downtown Tampa is projected to have 20 or more cranes in the air this year.

I think its highly regional. Nashville, CLT, ATL, FL, TX seem to be all doing well. The NE seems to have slowed down a bit. 

23 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think its highly regional. Nashville, CLT, ATL, FL, TX seem to be all doing well. The NE seems to have slowed down a bit. 

No city has anything remotely close to NY in terms of office, hotel, and residential construction.   As the world’s financial and corporate capital, it has unending resources.

That being said, in terms of midsize cities, Charlotte, Nashville, and Austin are on a tear that thoroughly beats cities like Minneapolis, Cincy, Indy, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

We need to start a go fund me to send you to NYC. 

I go there all the time.  My firm is based there.  I just speak the facts.  I’m ok with anyone  who wants to ignore reality and not acknowledge that it’s in a league shared only with London and to a lesser degree Tokyo and Shanghai.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No city has anything remotely close to NY in terms of office, hotel, and residential construction.   As the world’s financial and corporate capital, it has unending resources.

That being said, in terms of midsize cities, Charlotte, Nashville, and Austin are on a tear that thoroughly beats cities like Minneapolis, Cincy, Indy, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.

NY real estate market has still slowed down a bit. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I go there all the time.  My firm is based there.  I just speak the facts.  I’m ok with anyone  who doesn’t want to acknowledge that it’s in a league shared only with London and to a lesser degree Tokyo and Shanghai.  

Los Angeles and Seoul belong in that convo. But yes, those 5 cities are in a league of their own.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes.  So $100m apartments are selling for $75m.

That’s true.

So imagine selling your $1,000,000 condo for $750k. Thats a big big big deal. The uber super mega lux market was drastically inflated. Theres not enough super rich people in the whole world, to sell all the super lux condos under development in NYC.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I go there all the time.  My firm is based there.  I just speak the facts.  I’m ok with anyone  who wants to ignore reality and not acknowledge that it’s in a league shared only with London and to a lesser degree Tokyo and Shanghai.  

Lolz. 

You misunderstood me. I don’t care about NYC. At all. I like European cities more. NYC doesn’t do anything for me. I was simply pointing out that you really, really like NYC. Not doubting it’s building big buildings :) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So imagine selling your $1,000,000 condo for $750k. Thats a big big big deal. The uber super mega lux market was drastically inflated. Theres not enough super rich people in the whole world, to sell all the super lux condos under development in NYC.

So yes. Charlotte is in a rare position of almost growing faster now than it ever has, even tho there is softening of markets outside the south. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

So yes. Charlotte is in a rare position of almost growing faster now than it ever has, even tho there is softening of markets outside the south. 

hey. its not all softening. In theory I should see a huge return after only 3 years of home ownership here. IN THEORY. but I'm definitely not in the the lux market.  EDIT IRRELEVANT

What is really rare about Charlotte is that we are building massive amounts of office space, and just wait. You thought people were throwing stuff out there for Honeywell. Wait for BB&T/Sun Trust. They want more space than Honeywell and Lending Tree Combined. Then Add in Duke. Wowza. 

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one is ignoring that, but that is precisely why it need not be mentioned. What is the point? Only a handful of cities worldwide can be compared, so why bring it up when discussing our wonderful city or the many, many other great places that are similar?

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

That is why I get annoyed at  these petty critiques of towers at least you have something to nit pick!   

We must nit pick!!!! If we strive to be more than just a 9-5 office park, we have to let people know that we expect more than 9-5 office park quality architecture. This building SEEMS to be a decent step in that direction, depending on what exactly we are talking about on the other side of the building.

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

that is why our buildings get built vs other cities that announce a 60 story 650 foot tall condo tower and they wait and wait hoping for their new tallest.  We have a a huge corporate community in Charlotte that uses voluminous amount of office space and they chose to build tall big buildings.  We are in rare air and most cities don't see the number of office towers we have seen.  Case in point San Antonio roughly same size growing just as fast 1 new office tower in the last 30 years.  Outside of Austin and Nashville which is building lots and lots of hotels and a few office towers, not many cities within a few million people of us are building so much.  That is why I get annoyed at  these petty critiques of towers at least you have something to nit pick!   

I like this tower as long as it is as tall as Legacy 1.   

as for NYC it is looks tiny and spread out compared to Hong Kong!  and HK is the MOST expensive real estate market on the planet.  even NYC can be trumped. 

Agreed on all points x10.

• Like 2

I’ve actually been to HK many times (as I know you have), and Manhattan seems to have more and taller towers than Central.  HK has stagnated, as it had lost favor with the Communist party.

Anyway, my interest is discussing NC, which is where I’ve lived for the past 11 years and will continue to live until I retire to Charleston or Savannah.   I was just correcting an incorrect statement about NY, which has an utterly unparalleled building boom.   That being said, my interest is in seeing Charlotte, as the financial and commercial capital of North Carolina, continue to grow.

Edited by SydneyCarton

32 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

hey. its not all softening. In theory I should see a huge return after only 3 years of home ownership here. IN THEORY. but I'm definitely not in the the lux market.  EDIT IRRELEVANT

What is really rare about Charlotte is that we are building massive amounts of office space, and just wait. You thought people were throwing stuff out there for Honeywell. Wait for BB&T/Sun Trust. They want more space than Honeywell and Lending Tree Combined. Then Add in Duke. Wowza. 

There something about not seeing or knowing anything about a project in the pipeline but hearing something like this from @ricky_davis_fan_21. Its almost better than....

seeing new renderings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2