Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

14 minutes ago, FreeOpinions said:

Typical office floors pour 1 floor a week (assuming cast in place) avg at this size.  The lower floors appear to be much larger.” though.

On the original DEC, tvsdesign did precast double tee construction, I've inquired with them whether this method will be followed again.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59c91fb8f7e0ab097112fbc4/t/5b552d548a922d868efc5e2b/1532308820745/4.+Duke+energy+Center.pdf

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

On the original DEC, tvsdesign did precast double tee construction, I've inquired with them whether this method will be followed again.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59c91fb8f7e0ab097112fbc4/t/5b552d548a922d868efc5e2b/1532308820745/4.+Duke+energy+Center.pdf

Didn’t the DT sit on a poured cast in place frame?

From Wiki;

The building was constructed by Batson-Cook Construction, with ready mix products from Concrete Supply Co. and structural engineering firm TRC International Ltd, of SarasotaFlorida. The building core is constructed with poured-in-place concrete while the floor structures utilize precast double tees, a structural method typically seen in parking decks. These double tees span between the poured-in-place core and perimeter systems. The concrete used for the building is 18,000 pounds per square inch.[8]

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But how long will it take to prepare the foundation, etc. before it starts to rise?

Months. 

Edited by FreeOpinions
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

But how long will it take to prepare the foundation, etc. before it starts to rise?

Great question but really depends on a lot of things namely design, utility conflicts and contractor / supplier schedules, etc.  That said, I’d suspect that mobilization, excavation and foundation construction work would take roughly 6 months.  This will probably start going vertical around the Dec - Feb timeframe.  If so, they could be around 15 to 20 floors or more by the time the Aug 2020 RNC is ongoing.  This is my conservative prediction.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m fine with the old duke building. It’s ugly. But maybe it’ll have cheaper floor space for other companies once duke exits. 

I'd agree with you if it wasn't taking up such prime real estate. I can appreciate mid century architecture, but this building really lacks architecture altogether. If there's a way to re-model it and add some kind of architectural dynamic, perhaps larger windows, or even a different color, then I could get on board, but I feel like Duke would sooner demolish it and sell the land, or any new developer would do the same. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I'd agree with you if it wasn't taking up such prime real estate. I can appreciate mid century architecture, but this building really lacks architecture altogether. If there's a way to re-model it and add some kind of architectural dynamic, perhaps larger windows, or even a different color, then I could get on board, but I feel like Duke would sooner demolish it and sell the land, or any new developer would do the same. 

Completely agree. Its the direct entrant property wise from the stadium into the heart of uptown, especially if LU3/4 isn't a pedestrian friendly with retail and food access. It can't be retrofitted and its nothing more than a concrete bunker.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Completely agree. Its the direct entrant property wise from the stadium into the heart of uptown, especially if LU3/4 isn't a pedestrian friendly with retail and food access. It can't be retrofitted and its nothing more than a concrete bunker.

I absolutely expect LU3 and 4 to have ample retail. Probably 50,000 sq feet between them.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I absolutely expect LU3 and 4 to have ample retail. Probably 50,000 sq feet between them.

Noice, well then. It makes even more reason to build something differently with that space. I would think the Panthers could be reasonable developers of both the Duke building and the deck. If they are planning to be developers in SC, there is no reason they couldn't be developers with Tepper's deep pockets across from the stadium. A larger Team store, large bar, or even a team museum.

That area, 3rd Ward, was literally the most desolate spot in Charlotte. The entire quadrant was a parking lot save a couple condemned 3 story buildings. Nothing was prime about it. 

I rather see resources poured into 1st & 2nd Ward and then we can start pointing out all buildings in those wards that are prime real estate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ as I think @ricky_davis_fan_21 said other cities talk and talk about proposed new towers Charlotte just builds them ...  We just get it done in the QC (mostly) 

Thanks to big banks and a giant utility.  The QC builds so many new towers, thanks to bank fees and utility bills.  Like DC's economy, the QC's may not be the best market model to brag about over other cities.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 3