Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

15 hours ago, southslider said:

Thanks to big banks and a giant utility.  The QC builds so many new towers, thanks to bank fees and utility bills.  Like DC's economy, the QC's may not be the best market model to brag about over other cities.

It’s sort of annoying when people say “it’s because of the banks” (or government for DC).

Thats the way it is. That’s how things turned out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

So about this Charlotte Metro Tower... can’t wait! I am really excited to see what lighting  scheme they come up with. :D

Hopefully they raise the electric rates on consumers more to help pay for it. 

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It’s sort of annoying when people say “it’s because of the banks” (or government for DC).

Thats the way it is. That’s how things turned out. 

What's that mean? Seriously, being dense but I don't get it. Obviously we can change things for the better (or worse). We didn't get you working late at BoA did we? ;-)

17 hours ago, southslider said:

Thanks to big banks and a giant utility.  The QC builds so many new towers, thanks to bank fees and utility bills.  Like DC's economy, the QC's may not be the best market model to brag about over other cities.

The tower just got 10 ft taller

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

What's that mean? Seriously, being dense but I don't get it. Obviously we can change things for the better (or worse). We didn't get you working late at BoA did we? ;-)

I meant some people have said Charlotte only has big towers because of the banks. The skyline was because of the banks. While that’s somewhat true, the manner it’s portrayed is that “it doesn’t count.” Meanwhile, whether it “counts” or not or whether it’s only there because of the banks. At the end of the day. The buildings were built, they’re there, there’s demand for it. So...

but to get back on topic. I am can’t believe we don’t have more renderings, it’s killign me not to see the other angle. This is a fabulous looking tower 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, southslider said:

More accurately, the towers are being built for financial institutions of all types......Lending Tree, Ally, Barings, BofA etc..... And, for companies in other sectors like Honeywell and Deloitte.  And, yes, I will take a 40 story tower for one of the largest utilities in the country just as other cities have energy towers .  You can nitpick the towers, but from what I see, they are f on diverse industries and eating up a lot of space.  So, yes, it is a good model.  

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Hopefully they raise the electric rates on consumers more to help pay for it. 

We’ll raise the in the upstate first.

When will they start site prep for this tower?

• Like 1

^ what is "f on diverse industries"?  Not picking on a typo but I cannot guess.

Also, we have plenty of 5×8 towers. They just make it more of a ghost city. We need retail and density to be a place to live. If the goal isn't to have downtown be a place to live then I get it.

Edited by elrodvt

7 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^ what is "f on diverse industries"?  Not picking on a typo but I cannot guess.

Also, we have plenty of 5×8 towers. They just make it more of a ghost city. We need retail and density to be a place to live. If the goal isn't to have downtown be a place to live then I get it.

Uptown has 23,000 people, adding more folks & units the past couple and coming years than Nashville, for comparison. 

Uptown has a large & dense pop for its metro size I think. And it’s office space is yuge. Double Austin, nearly double Nashville and I think more than Downtown Miami + Brickell área combined. 

That doesn’t make uptown more vibrant or whatever than other places but, it’s attracting people. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I meant some people have said Charlotte only has big towers because of the banks. The skyline was because of the banks. While that’s somewhat true, the manner it’s portrayed is that “it doesn’t count.” Meanwhile, whether it “counts” or not or whether it’s only there because of the banks. At the end of the day. The buildings were built, they’re there, there’s demand for it. So...

but to get back on topic. I am can’t believe we don’t have more renderings, it’s killign me not to see the other angle. This is a fabulous looking tower 

I don’t know why it’s killing you. Tryon Place has renderings from like 49 angles and then put this whole place in a tizzy. Then it became Ally Center and everyone got all POd. Maybe let’s wait until it’s approved for construction before getting all demanding for renderings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Uptown has 23,000 people, adding more folks & units the past couple and coming years than Nashville, for comparison. 

Uptown has a large & dense pop for its metro size I think. And it’s office space is yuge. Double Austin, nearly double Nashville and I think more than Downtown Miami + Brickell área combined. 

That doesn’t make uptown more vibrant or whatever than other places but, it’s attracting people. 

I have to disagree with the idea that  uptown is dense and has a large population for a city of a 750K+ . It's smaller in pop and density than tiny burlington vermont (40 K).

I guess if you just compare to southern cities it makes sense though. 

Regarding adding people that's all good and I guess I tend to look at ownership as residency and obviously should not ignore all the new apartments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I have to disagree with the idea that  uptown is dense and has a large population for a city of a 750K+ . It's smaller in pop and density than tiny burlington vermont (40 K).

Dense might be a stretch.  But, by way of comparison, a few years ago The Loop had approximately the same population as Uptown does now.  Granted, there have been condos going up like crazy east of 90. OTOH, the farthest west neighborhood of Chi (Austin) has 14k people/mi^2, and the first west suburb (Oak Park) has 12k/mi^2.

For me that's the biggest difference: all the open undeveloped and underdeveloped parts of the 704.  

Charlotte has self-identified as world class for decades without ever really being there.  But, there's a lot of people living uptown and the density is on par with any other American city not NYC, and that's not just boosterism.  Take credit where credit is due!

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Dense might be a stretch.  But, by way of comparison, a few years ago The Loop had approximately the same population as Uptown does now.  Granted, there have been condos going up like crazy east of 90. OTOH, the farthest west neighborhood of Chi (Austin) has 14k people/mi^2, and the first west suburb (Oak Park) has 12k/mi^2.

For me that's the biggest difference: all the open undeveloped and underdeveloped parts of the 704.  

Charlotte has self-identified as world class for decades without ever really being there.  But, there's a lot of people living uptown and the density is on par with any other American city not NYC, and that's not just boosterism.  Take credit where credit is due!

What is your definition of density and where are the numbers?

Again, comparisons to southern cities. 

If it's not boosterism it's alternative facts.

Whatever makes you guys happy though.

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

What is your definition of density and where are the numbers?

Again, comparisons to southern cities. 

If it's not boosterism it's alternative facts.

Whatever makes you guys happy though.

I think 10k+ ppsm is a decent number for a City slammed as being an office park. Particularly considering there’s a giant graveyard taking up a lot of that space. 

Downtown Atlanta is 4 sq. Miles (vs. 2 for Charlotte) and only has 3,000 people more than uptown.  (Yes, I know midtown exist.)

Downtown Denver and uptown Charlotte both have 23,000 population. 

Im not trying to be a booster. I’m just saying there’s way more residents than the “it’s an office park” narrative. 

Downtown Cleveland only has 18,000.

Downtown Pittsburg is around 17,000

Downtown St. Louis is less than 10,000. Greater downtown St. Louis is 17,000.

Downtown Portland has ~10,000 in 1 sq. Mile (less dense than uptown) 

etc. Im Not judging the quality or saying it’s more vibrant. I’m just saying, lots of people live there for a metropolitan area of less than 3 million. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think 10k+ ppsm is a decent number for a City slammed as being an office park. Particularly considering there’s a giant graveyard taking up a lot of that space. 

Downtown Atlanta is 4 sq. Miles (vs. 2 for Charlotte) and only has 3,000 people more than uptown.  (Yes, I know midtown exist.)

Downtown Denver and uptown Charlotte both have 23,000 population. 

Im not trying to be a booster. I’m just saying there’s way more residents than the “it’s an office park” narrative. 

Downtown Cleveland only has 18,000.

Downtown Pittsburg is around 17,000

Downtown St. Louis is less than 10,000. Greater downtown St. Louis is 17,000.

Downtown Portland has ~10,000 in 1 sq. Mile (less dense than uptown) 

etc. Im Not judging the quality or saying it’s more vibrant. I’m just saying, lots of people live there for a metropolitan area of less than 3 million. 

We're possibly confused by varying definitions of downtown. To compare Denver downtown pop & density to Charlotte is ridiculous. Go walk around Denver. I used to pick a point from my 20th floor perch and never leave a continuous area of houses and businesses for hours. It's simply not close to the same thing. Not even within an order of magnitude.

If the numbers can mislead this much obviously they need more normalization. Same with Portland btw.

St.  Louis is a southern hell city so ok I buy that, Pittsburg and Cleveland I haven't spent much time in although my impression is Pittsburg is at least as dense and is popping.

Then the example you continue to ignore Burlington VT.  Or Boulder and probably 200 other SMALL cities north of mason dixon.

This is mainly a reply to Wiggins though cause that post was ridiculous. Charlotte more dense than SF, Boston, Chicago.... lol.

None of this matters, just friends having a fun argument, other than this kind of complacency seems to permeate our government as well. That's what sets me off. 

Listen to Lyles on Charlotte talks sometime. Were friggin great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elrodvt said:

We're possibly confused by varying definitions of downtown. To compare Denver downtown pop & density to Charlotte is ridiculous. Go walk around Denver. I used to pick a point from my 20th floor perch and never leave a continuous area of houses and businesses for hours. It's simply not close to the same thing. Not even within an order of magnitude.

If the numbers can mislead this much obviously they need more normalization. Same with Portland btw.

St.  Louis is a southern hell city so ok I buy that, Pittsburg and Cleveland I haven't spent much time in although my impression is Pittsburg is at least as dense and is popping.

Then the example you continue to ignore Burlington VT.  Or Boulder and probably 200 other SMALL cities north of mason dixon.

This is mainly a reply to Wiggins though cause that post was ridiculous. Charlotte more dense than SF, Boston, Chicago.... lol.

None of this matters, just friends having a fun argument, other than this kind of complacency seems to permeate our government as well. That's what sets me off. 

Listen to Lyles on Charlotte talks sometime. Were friggin great.

I don’t think it’s misleading. Misleading is saying Charlotte is a city of 700,000 people without specifying it has yuge city limits.

Theres nothing misleading about the population density/population of 2 sq. Miles of the uptown. 23,000 people live there. 11,000 ppsm.  I live in DC and I can say, yes, the very bustling dense feeling parts are the 3 floor buildings with retail after retail. Charlotte doesn’t have an equivalent uptown. And we won’t. Because we tore it down. So I get the part it may not feel as dense due to our lack of the smaller scale, older building stock. But that doesn’t change the #’s. Especially when the downtowns are nearly the same sq. Miles. Misleading would be including midtown or SouthEnd, etc.   

• Like 3