Jump to content

Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mocked up at roughly 646' in height.

I almost forgot what this thread was about... Here's a reminder for those who have forgotten. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I don’t know what’s going on anymore. So Charlotte is getting a MLS team? :D Needs drone shots also. 

Tepper wants a MLS team.  A questionnaire sent to Panthers’ season ticket holders had questions about soccer.  And, MLS recently decided to expand to 30 teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2019 at 8:40 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

 

I don’t think it’s misleading. Misleading is saying Charlotte is a city of 700,000 people without specifying it has yuge city limits.

Theres nothing misleading about the population density/population of 2 sq. Miles of the uptown. 23,000 people live there. 11,000 ppsm.  I live in DC and I can say, yes, the very bustling dense feeling parts are the 3 floor buildings with retail after retail. Charlotte doesn’t have an equivalent uptown. And we won’t. Because we tore it down. So I get the part it may not feel as dense due to our lack of the smaller scale, older building stock. But that doesn’t change the #’s. Especially when the downtowns are nearly the same sq. Miles. Misleading would be including midtown or SouthEnd, etc.   

6

its nearly 900,000.

And what we tore down never resembled anything in DC, there was like 20 square blocks of density, about what exists today. Now that said, if we had added the current 20 blocks of density and preserved and added onto the previous 20, we'd be a whole lot more urban and vibrant place. This is the one nod I give Raleigh over Charlotte.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its nearly 900,000.

And what we tore down never resembled anything in DC, there was like 20 square blocks of density, about what exists today. Now that said, if we had added the current 20 blocks of density and preserved and added onto the previous 20, we'd be a whole lot more urban and vibrant place. This is the one nod I give Raleigh over Charlotte.

I don’t think that Charlotte and Raleigh are comparable.   Raleigh, to me, is more like WS.  I think that Charlotte is way better than Raleigh in every respect.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its nearly 900,000.

And what we tore down never resembled anything in DC, there was like 20 square blocks of density, about what exists today. Now that said, if we had added the current 20 blocks of density and preserved and added onto the previous 20, we'd be a whole lot more urban and vibrant place. This is the one nod I give Raleigh over Charlotte.

 

44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg

 

I didn’t say Charlotte did or didn’t resemble DC. I was saying the most vibrant parts of cities tend to be the low rise/mid rise older buildings with spaces for local retailers, etc. I mentioned DC as an example that the older parts have a more vibrant feel than the newer development that all have a Starbucks, Subway, Orange Theory and CVS. And that Charlotte’s equivalent of older stock buildings have been torn down and that’s not coming back. We’re not goin to have comic book stores or anything in Novel Stonewall or Ally Tower.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg&key=ceff4e90c58a8ca47146a637ac639f91ce6700d6cb37113d2bcbc0f75d2c1f6e
 
I didn’t say Charlotte did or didn’t resemble DC. I was saying the most vibrant parts of cities tend to be the low rise/mid rise older buildings with spaces for local retailers, etc. I mentioned DC as an example that the older parts have a more vibrant feel than the newer development that all have a Starbucks, Subway, Orange Theory and CVS. And that Charlotte’s equivalent of older stock buildings have been torn down and that’s not coming back. We’re not goin to have comic book stores or anything in Novel Stonewall or Ally Tower.

Correct, sorry.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

 

44557485a7acda5fac8719ae0828f4c4.jpg

 

I didn’t say Charlotte did or didn’t resemble DC. I was saying the most vibrant parts of cities tend to be the low rise/mid rise older buildings with spaces for local retailers, etc. I mentioned DC as an example that the older parts have a more vibrant feel than the newer development that all have a Starbucks, Subway, Orange Theory and CVS. And that Charlotte’s equivalent of older stock buildings have been torn down and that’s not coming back. We’re not goin to have comic book stores or anything in Novel Stonewall or Ally Tower.

That does tie into Denver and Burlington in my experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Matthew.Brendan said:

Do we need to dredge up the pictures of what was torn down? There may not have been a lot to lose, but was lost was significant. 

The photo posted is of the BoA Corporate Center site. I prefer what we have now (although I do wish the Eckerd was still uptown).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

and the following comparison was of “wide swaths” of other cities. To totally beat this poor dead horse we have the still-fresh example of the Polk building - which as has been noted would never have been torn down in Savannah, Charleston, Austin, etc and other cities that value and protect such buildings. 

Its easy to wipe away all the prior “urban renewal” excuses as a different time but when it’s still occurring in front of our eyes.... not sure what else to say about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

and the following comparison was of “wide swaths” of other cities. To totally beat this poor dead horse we have the still-fresh example of the Polk building - which as has been noted would never have been torn down in Savannah, Charleston, Austin, etc and other cities that value and protect such buildings. 

Its easy to wipe away all the prior “urban renewal” excuses as a different time but when it’s still occurring in front of our eyes.... not sure what else to say about that. 

Charleston and Savannah, no. Austin, ha! 

But back to Duke. I want more info. I find it odd CK is being so stingy with its renderings/elevations. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charleston and Savannah, no. Austin, ha! 

But back to Duke. I want more info. I find it odd CK is being so stingy with its renderings/elevations. 

Not approved yet, that's why. Just got revision requests on the 10th. Grading permits and PCCOs were filed, so approval should come shortly.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • dubone changed the title to Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.