Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

7 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

But it would indicate little, if any, further digging for a while, no?

Right now, they are digging a strip on the other side of the lot parallel to that building that holds Fuel Pizza  and Brazz (side note: I have no idea how Brazz stays in business) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, Bruco72 said:

I have no idea how Brazz stays in business

Won't go on a tangent here, but looking at their reviews, good service, word of mouth, etc. I think that ties into some of the slow growth in retail and more restaurant variety Uptown, businesses know that once they can establish themselves, they can survive even off the beaten path (I'll admit I even forget about that Fuel sometimes) but until then, lack of "main street" space is going to put a slow grind on true retail, the kind where people actually will say "I'm gonna spend the day Uptown, gonna shop, then eat, and spend some time in the park, etc" well rounded. 

6 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Won't go on a tangent here, but looking at their reviews, good service, word of mouth, etc. I think that ties into some of the slow growth in retail and more restaurant variety Uptown, businesses know that once they can establish themselves, they can survive even off the beaten path (I'll admit I even forget about that Fuel sometimes) but until then, lack of "main street" space is going to put a slow grind on true retail, the kind where people actually will say "I'm gonna spend the day Uptown, gonna shop, then eat, and spend some time in the park, etc" well rounded. 

Honestly, I’m fine with no spending time in uptown to shop.  I don’t think it’s necessary or needed. 

What I want is more amenities and stores for those that live there (Target, etc) and for those visiting: bars, restaurants, parks, museums, etc 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nakers2 said:
On 6/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, Bruco72 said:

I have no idea how Brazz stays in business

Brazz is surviving off of construction workers right now.   I had a meeting there a week or so ago and it was packed with neon green shirts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Honestly, I’m fine with no spending time in uptown to shop.  I don’t think it’s necessary or needed. 

What I want is more amenities and stores for those that live there (Target, etc) and for those visiting: bars, restaurants, parks, museums, etc 

Wouldn't shopping attract more visitors? Wouldn't it help visitors have a better experience?

Our largest market for visitors isn't out of state, its people who live outside of 277 who never venture into downtown during the day unless its a Panthers game because they perceive that there is nothing to do. Even in walkable cities like New Orleans, the CBD has a lack of pedestrians outside of the work week because there are few stores. I think lack of retail is the biggest issue with DT at the moment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Wouldn't shopping attract more visitors? Wouldn't it help visitors have a better experience?

Our largest market for visitors isn't out of state, its people who live outside of 277 who never venture into downtown during the day unless its a Panthers game because they perceive that there is nothing to do. Even in walkable cities like New Orleans, the CBD has a lack of pedestrians outside of the work week because there are few stores. I think lack of retail is the biggest issue with DT at the moment. 

I don't disagree, but things are rough for retailers right now and a lot of them aren't in the expansion mode, especially for pricing downtown rents when retail isn't proven in that spot. 

I just read that the Mag Mile in Chicago has 29% retail vacancy at the moment and that's a major tourist destination. 

Like it or not, I think SouthEnd is the natural spot for a walkable retail hub. It has the critical mass of residents that will be more attractive to retailers. 

• Like 2