Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

Honestly the only reason I mentioned Tennessee is that there was a big discussion of MLB between Charlotte and Nashville inside this thread for some reason! 

We all know we are tall and we don't have to tell people they can see it. #CharlotteRising 

One thing funny is other cities talk and talk about .a new high rise rising, here in Charlotte we just start moving dirt and build it.   Just like the  Legacy e tower where the rendering was released after construction started.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Honestly the only reason I mentioned Tennessee is that there was a big discussion of MLB between Charlotte and Nashville inside this thread for some reason! 

We all know we are tall and we don't have to tell people they can see it. #CharlotteRising 

One thing funny is other cities talk and talk about .a new high rise rising, here in Charlotte we just start moving dirt and build it.   Just like this new Duke tower where the rendering has not been officially released yet (only on this site)  yet construction has started.  

I get what you are saying. And, I really don’t think Charlotte gets too caught up in trying to always be the “first” or building the highest building.  We methodically just build a lot of apartments and office towers and then fill them.  But, for some reason, we can’t get enough hotel rooms built.

if you want to see some over the top bragging, I grew up in upstate SC where it can get a little crazy.  Even if you build a Quick Trip, there are countless media stories about how it was the “first” in SC or largest QT in the country, we are nowhere near that in CLT.

But, as it relates to Nashville, I still don’t get the financial firm selecting them for a HQ over CLT.  In the end, we did get a gift in BB&T.  

And, we are patiently waiting to see this tower get moving.

Edited by CLT_sc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Just like this new Duke tower where the rendering has not been officially released yet (only on this site)  yet construction has started.  

This is incorrect. It has absolutely been released officially.

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Sorry. I knew I was getting very off topic. 

Charlotte moves so quickly bc its an institutional tenant that needs space ASAP. LU has been somewhat speculative but not really. When we look at the slow progress on N Tryon, we can see the situation that other cities are dealing with in terms of getting new buildings planned and built. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 8:48 AM, Muggsy01 said:

Only way I see CLT getting an MLB team is if the Tampa ballpark deal collapses again and the Rays move. That's a very real possibility btw. I think for expansion, Portland & Montreal are all but a lock, & if Montreal falls through I think Nashville or Austin would be ahead of CLT. Going down in August though to Pinehurst & spending a night in CLT, first time I've been not during basketball season, & I'm really excited to go to a Knights game. Ballpark looks beautiful, I've only seen it from the outside. Be happy with the Knights, MiLB is so underrated. 

MLB MLB MLB MLB. The knights are of no interest to me. Charlotte is a major city and it deserves Major league baseball.  I hope you are correct regarding Tampa. 

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone may have answered this, but how deep will they have to dig before they pour the foundations and this starts to rise?  I’m curious about when it will be above ground.

In my experience, when it comes to deep foundations, you never really know until you’re digging them. They’ve probably already done a geotechnical analysis with test borings, but if they’re going to be drilling caissons to bedrock, they’ll start soon and hopefully not run into any unexpected conditions and take a month or so. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brendv7 said:

In my experience, when it comes to deep foundations, you never really know until you’re digging them. They’ve probably already done a geotechnical analysis with test borings, but if they’re going to be drilling caissons to bedrock, they’ll start soon and hopefully not run into any unexpected conditions and take a month or so. 

Thanks!  So this tower could be several floors above ground by Christmas?

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 6/21/2019 at 4:39 AM, QCxpat said:

Buildings in Nashville - 500 Feet / 152.4 meters high or taller  -  3 completed, 1 planned, 1 proposed

• Paramount Tower, 750 ft./230 m., 65 stories (Proposed)
  • AT&T Building, 617 ft./188 m., 33 stories
  • Nashville Yards Tower, 600 ft.,180 m., 40 stories (Planned)
  • Four Seasons Hotel & Private Residences, 542 ft., 165 m., 42 stories (Under construction)
  • 505, 524 ft./166 m., 45 stories

I know we're veering waaaay off topic here, but I got a good laugh when I saw Paramount Tower on that list and couldn't resist.  I'll eat my shoe if that thing is ever built in its current form.  This is Giarratana's Signature Tower of this cycle.  I'm starting to wonder if he ever has real intentions of building one of this things, or if it's just PR for his firm.  Paramount Tower has the exact same M.O. of Signature Tower of how and when he releases the proposals to the public, and they both seem to be released just after the peak of each cycle and involve complicated land swap deals.

• Like 2

Based on the construction trailer position and where they are inserting piping into the ground, it looks like this tower will be set back from the sidewalk by about 30 feet.  IF so, that would provide a lot of space for outside dining.  And, would mean an nice large parking deck on College St.  

40 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Based on the construction trailer position and where they are inserting piping into the ground, it looks like this tower will be set back from the sidewalk by about 30 feet.  IF so, that would provide a lot of space for outside dining.  And, would mean an nice large parking deck on College St.  

image.png.fcaeae389ed3c94609d544f5dc4e0e78.png

Theres really no reason to speculate anything, this is the footprint.

19 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Thanks...., this matches up exactly with what is on site.  And, I like it.....the outdoor “plaza” like area at this building along with the Mint’s open space  (and The Green) will make this area of Tryon very open...but surrounded by a lot of towers.  It wasn’t that long ago when you could stand at the Firestone building and see a sea of parking lots.  I’m not trying to overstate this, but the last 10 years has transformed this area way more than I thought would happen in 25 years. We have gone from a Good year service center and Firestone on opposite corners to over 6 towers (and counting) all greater than 25 floors within a couple of blocks.  Not too bad.

Yea its pretty wild. in 2010 we thought it'd be 10 years before something else got built uptown, that's how bad the recession felt, thank god we were wrong. I guess we never thought we'd diversify quickly enough, and boy did Charlotte figure it out. We are a pretty resilient bunch.

My only complaint with this building is they didn't find a way to make room for a hotel tower toward college.

As you look around through, I really think that Tryon and Stonewall is the new crossroads of the city, with uptown currently extending into South End. Legacy 4/5/6 will determine just how this intersection feels. 

Edited by Guest