Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

Completely agree with this. What I hope to see is the southern side of 277 built up like the other side has with dense office in the 15 to 20 story range (with a couple of 25 to 30 sprinkled in) until around Midnight/1100 S Tryon and then a steady drop to a more pedestrian scale as you continue south. By the time anything like this were to materialize something would have happened (or is happening) in the northern end of uptown. Imagine Tryon being a continuous cavern of activity from the Brookshire through South End. 

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 10:57 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png.fcaeae389ed3c94609d544f5dc4e0e78.png

Theres really no reason to speculate anything, this is the footprint.

I speculate the upper floors will fall inside the faint square shown closer to Tryon on the footprint, and thus parking, or at least a shorter height, more towards College, where a driveway is also shown.

Edited by southslider

16 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Probably the convention hotel which I think is coming sooner rather than later 

Do you think the convention hotel is dependent upon Duke's move out of 401 S. College, which is likely dependent upon the completion of Metro Tower?  Or is there another location that works for the hotel that could get built sooner?

1 hour ago, Blakcatfan said:

Do you think the convention hotel is dependent upon Duke's move out of 401 S. College, which is likely dependent upon the completion of Metro Tower?  Or is there another location that works for the hotel that could get built sooner?

I know I'm not the one you asked, but I think if you want a "true" convention hotel, the 401 S. College site is the only one that makes sense as it can easily be zippered into the existing convention center, and also add some floor space to the convention center itself. I walked around the building the other day and it's actually a lot bigger than it looks, it's square footage is dwarfed by the convention center, so it appears to be a postage stamp size lot, but it's not, easily capable of supporting a 1000+ room hotel. However, I could see a 1000+ hotel being built elsewhere. The lot across from NASCAR is in contention, as NASCAR has ballroom space, as well as at Legacy, despite being 1-2 blocks away. However there is no way the Duke data center will not be redeveloped at some point. It could serve to add much needed convention space, or another hotel, albeit smaller, but maybe of the 5 star variety. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I know I'm not the one you asked, but I think if you want a "true" convention hotel, the 401 S. College site is the only one that makes sense as it can easily be zippered into the existing convention center, and also add some floor space to the convention center itself. I walked around the building the other day and it's actually a lot bigger than it looks, it's square footage is dwarfed by the convention center, so it appears to be a postage stamp size lot, but it's not, easily capable of supporting a 1000+ room hotel. However, I could see a 1000+ hotel being built elsewhere. The lot across from NASCAR is in contention, as NASCAR has ballroom space, as well as at Legacy, despite being 1-2 blocks away. However there is no way the Duke data center will not be redeveloped at some point. It could serve to add much needed convention space, or another hotel, albeit smaller, but maybe of the 5 star variety. 

This is absolutely the lot that will be the 1000 room convention center. While talks are on hold for now, Charlotte's incredible growth from an employment base perspective has to have people blowing dust off the work that had already started. I know something was drawn in the 40 floor range with ample meeting space.

Like ricky_davis_fan said above. I have heard the hotel was going to be put at 401 S College st. BUT I heard this 6 years ago. That's when they started getting the third party vendors to start getting their data equipment out of the 401 building. (not sure if everyone knew, but 401 was/is a data center that had every ISP there.) There is still a company in the building as of today so they have to move out (which has been in progress for 5 years). Then like already mentioned the new duke tower has to be completed before all the people move out of the buildings. 

But just a reminder for folks 1000 room hotel is going to take at least 100M in tax dollars. So thats a uphill battle. Theres a LOT of big time Tax Dollar asks coming up. Discovery Place is going to be record breaking, the Panthers want at the least a huge renovation, at the most an entire stadium, the Main Library is going to cost a big chunk of change, and lord knows how we are going to pay for the 2030 Transit Plan.

Edited by Guest

I think that if/when we get a convention hotel it will almost certainly land at 401 S. College.  I imagine there is a scenario where the city uses public subsidies to build the fourth and final “quadrant” of the convention center and that quadrant just happens to have a foundation and supporting structures that are designed to have a large hotel built over the top of it.  The new convention center space would also just happen to be a shared meeting space with the hotel.  The hotel developer essentially gets their foundation and lower levels built by the city at no cost to them.  I bet the city also gives the hotel developer air rights at no cost or at highly reduced cost.  I think that’s how the city can/will get around the local hotel association’s opposition to using taxpayer dollars to support an entity that will become their competition.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, CLT_sc said:

Based on the construction trailer position and where they are inserting piping into the ground, it looks like this tower will be set back from the sidewalk by about 30 feet.  IF so, that would provide a lot of space for outside dining.  And, would mean an nice large parking deck on College St.  

What does being set back have to do with a nice parking garage? Just asking