Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

50 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Personally I'm imagining more of a M to match the points of DEC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean by that, RDF?

I'm trying to envision what this will look like, and I don't follow your comment.  If it's basically a box with a flat roof, but for extensions at each corner, how can its shape differ from PPG?

You and Jayvee seem to have the most insight here, so I'm trying to figure out what you mean.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What do you mean by that, RDF?

I'm trying to envision what this will look like, and I don't follow your comment.  If it's basically a box with a flat roof, but for extensions at each corner, how can its shape differ from PPG?

You and Jayvee seem to have the most insight here, so I'm trying to figure out what you mean.

Thanks

Excuse the crudeish rendering, but this is all I had time for. Based on the description, this is how I imaging the block building out, and the design of the tower based on what was described to me.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.52.09 AM.png

In 5 years time this might be the most transformed intersection in the country; at least in the SE.  It is honestly remarkable to have three high-rises built on one intersection in such short time.  Hopefully we all appreciate it while it is happening. @ricky_davis_fan_21, is your hunch that is a convention style hotel?

15 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

In 5 years time this might be the most transformed intersection in the country; at least in the SE.  It is honestly remarkable to have three high-rises built on one intersection in such short time.  Hopefully we all appreciate it while it is happening. @ricky_davis_fan_21, is your hunch that is a convention style hotel?

I personally do not think that'll be the site of a convention hotel. I think that it'll be a residential tower. Childress Klein is the JV partner for the building, and they've been developing a lot of high rise residential to date.

When do we think this tower maybe announced if they want to be in by end of 2019 wouldn't this be needing to start real quick?   Does anyone know when the NC Utility commission will make their decision on the proposed rate increase by Duke? I think this might have something to do with lack of information on this tower but not entirely.  Moving into space they own makes sense in the long term just like owning a house/condo makes more sense and it saves money in the long run.  They have lots of leased space uptown that the leases are coming up. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2017 at 9:17 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I personally do not think that'll be the site of a convention hotel. I think that it'll be a residential tower. Childress Klein is the JV partner for the building, and they've been developing a lot of high rise residential to date.

You mean apartments?

The best example worldwide that I can come up with based on the description so far is Goldin Financial 117 in China. Take away the height and the cheesy gem on top and you have design elements of DEC with four raised/pointed corners (also mixed with some design elements of Hearst.)

3dbc9be2026bc64777c098d7d36c4273.jpg&key=e26ad5352cfeb71ed517fc8e8ff32eb76473f226e6dc923cc5c9bffc215706d4

• Like 3

You mean apartments?

Yea... I think the market is ready for condos, but I don't know that lenders are, and I don't think developers are able to put the right price points out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I think the media covering the presubmittal might have killed this project for a while. It'll definitely happen one day, but I don't think it'll start before 2020-22. I think the tower being announced when they were trying to get a rate hike approved looked really bad for the company. If someone at Childress Klein had just submitted this with a codename (Project Sasquatch perhaps) instead of Duke Energy Tower #2, there might have been a better chance of getting it built sooner than later.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think the media covering the presubmittal might have killed this project for a while. It'll definitely happen one day, but I don't think it'll start before 2020-22. I think the tower being announced when they were trying to get a rate hike approved looked really bad for the company. If someone at Childress Klein had just submitted this with a codename (Project Sasquatch perhaps) instead of Duke Energy Tower #2, there might have been a better chance of getting it built sooner than later.

Yeah, as a customer, I would be kind of annoyed the management team is getting fancy new office buildings to sit in while they plan their latest rate hike. It is kind of a PR nightmare to justify as a regulated utility with no competition.
Duke: "Hey yall, we need to raise your rates to generate $200 million a year to clean coal ash........ also we have no money to bury power lines..... but we're building a $300 million skyscraper that you as the public can enjoy 1,200 square feet of with our ground floor Starbucks!"

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You know a lot and I know nothing.  However, I find it hard to believe that the media coverage or Childress Klein had anything to do with the delay.  The negative optics of building a fancy building while pushing for rate hikes is a plausible reason for the delay but with or without the coverage/leaks, eventually they were going to have to make an announcement and start construction.

4 minutes ago, JBS said:

You know a lot and I know nothing.  However, I find it hard to believe that the media coverage or Childress Klein had anything to do with the delay.  The negative optics of building a fancy building while pushing for rate hikes is a plausible reason for the delay but with or without the coverage/leaks, eventually they were going to have to make an announcement and start construction.

If CK announced a tower as "spec" and then Duke Energy was like, oh hey, lets lease space here, we are busting at the seams. I think it'd be different than an assumed Joint Venture coming to light a few weeks before a rate hike request.

The crazy thing it is probably a cost saving move as Duke owns the land and was going to get CK to build them a tower which they would own.  Owning real estate is much cheaper in the long run of course.  However Duke is the company everyone wants to hate on (and I know the reasons why) despite this area having below national average rates.  Go down to SC and see how much higher you pay it is crazy.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Do some of you actually think the media has a strong enough influence to cancel/postpone an entire project? :rofl:

Right!  It's not like corporations this size have a PR department who spend the entire year crafting an image for investors and customers.  It's not the media sharing the plan it's how the investors and customers react to the plan shared.  

9 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Do some of you actually think the media has a strong enough influence to cancel/postpone an entire project? :rofl:

Yeah, that doesn’t make sense to me either. Why would informing the public negatively affect a project? I’m not following.