Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

usually my speculation isn't speculation at all, usually they are facts, that I write as speculation ;-)

Well then perhaps you can provide some insight into the possibility of a new tallest? Even if it is just "speculation."

1 minute ago, nakers2 said:

Well then perhaps you can provide some insight into the possibility of a new tallest? Even if it is just "speculation."

won't happen until all the parking lots are gone. 

23 hours ago, DMann said:

So, sitting around drinking a glass of wine and my mind wanders as to who could look to purchase this site and put up something that could rival BOA.  My spidie sense tells me it is someone that probably already has a presence, a significant presence, in the Charlotte market.  Then I think of Wells Fargo vacating a lot of space in the JukeBox building, and Bissett interviewing for the CEO, and many people moving here, and job postings at a minimum everywhere for Wells outside of Charlotte.  Probably all just a coincidence!

Highly doubt that.  WF wants the LEAST amount of people Uptown.  Keep hearing that it is too expensive - hence the plans for not just two, but three buildings in Ballantyne.  And possible uplift of CIC up on Harris to put more people.  Cheaper rent.  That's all that matters to them.

17 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Highly doubt that.  WF wants the LEAST amount of people Uptown.  Keep hearing that it is too expensive - hence the plans for not just two, but three buildings in Ballantyne.  And possible uplift of CIC up on Harris to put more people.  Cheaper rent.  That's all that matters to them.

I would also think that reputation issues trump tower development as well. WF is in desperate need of a public opinion overhaul and building a new Tower doesn’t scream sensibility at a time when they need that perception the most. Give it a few years and memories might fade, and a new tower might rise. Especially if they were to bring back the Global HQ back to the QC. (Which I would put at 50/50 odds). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

won't happen until all the parking lots are gone. 

Someone here has a map of the surface lots uptown right? Aside from Levine Land I imagine it wouldn't be far fetched to build over most/all of those in the coming years. I would definitely prefer density over height, but as the girl from the taco commercial says: why not both? 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Someone here has a map of the surface lots uptown right? Aside from Levine Land I imagine it wouldn't be far fetched to build over most/all of those in the coming years. I would definitely prefer density over height, but as the girl from the taco commercial says: why not both? 

There are dozens. They won't fully go away for decades.

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

New 3rd Tallest (Charlotte Metro Tower / 

Just 12 American cities have more buildings 600+ feet tall than Charlotte;  2 American cities have the same # as Charlotte (i.e., Denver & Pittsburgh) 

Here are the American cities that have 600+ foot / 182.88+ meters tall buildings and the # each city has:

• Atlanta - 11
  • Atlantic City - 1
  • Austin - 2
  • Boston - 7
  • Charlotte - 5
  • Chicago - 53
  • Cincinnati - 1
  • Cleveland - 2
  • Columbus - 1
  • Dallas - 11
  • Denver - 5
  • Des Moines - 1
  • Detroit - 3
  • Houston - 19
  • Indianapolis - 1
  • Jacksonville - 1
  • Jersey City - 3
  • Kansas City - 1
  • Las Vegas - 10
  • Los Angeles - 18
  • Miami - 22
  • Milwaukee - 1
  • Minneapolis - 4
  • Mobile - 1
  • Nashville - 1
  • New Orleans - 2
  • New York City - 149
  • Oklahoma City - 1
  • Omaha - 1
  • Philadelphia - 9
  • Pittsburgh - 5
  • San Antonio - 1 
  • San Francisco - 13
  • Seattle - 9
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL - 7 (Miami metro)

Link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina

See, also, Tall Buildings in Selected North American Cities, 2019 World Almanac and Book of Facts, at pp. 716-21.

I’m surprised that NY doesn’t have more than 149 towers over 600 feet.  I think that’s a pretty old number.  Anyway, that’s great  news for the QC!

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:
  • Boston - 7

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m surprised that NY doesn’t have more than 149 towers over 600 feet.  I think that’s a pretty old number.  Anyway, that’s great  news for the QC!

I was the exact opposite on Boston. For whatever reason, their skyline has always struck me as low - I never would have guessed they had 7 towers that high. 

I would have thought that Boston had more than 7 even though the NIMBYs there freak out when anyone even proposes a tall tower.

As far as NY goes, SSP states that it has 209 buildings over 600’ and even that seems like a low number, as does their claim that it has 380 towers of 500’ or more.  I think that’s very understated.

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, dubone said:

It'll be cool to see the new Truist Spire on top of Hearst.  Won't take much effort to been 1', and the building has a style and shape that could handle a spire.  And the art deco tradition in NYC has lots of oneupmanship spires to copy. 

i got you fam

image.thumb.png.836ab44a7046cc509289c3890a6e3315.png

12 hours ago, QCxpat said:

New 3rd Tallest (Charlotte Metro Tower / DEC 2) - it's 1 Foot / .3048 meters taller than Hearst / Truist Tower

Wikipedia's List of Tall Buildings in Charlotte now indicates that Charlotte Metro Tower / DEC2 will be the 3rd tallest building in Charlotte and NC. 

The new figures are: 

Charlotte Metro Tower / DEC2  -  42 Floors  -  660 feet / 201.1 meters high - 3rd tallest 

It would just edge out the Hearst / Truist Tower  -  47 floors - 659 feet / 200.8 meters high - 4th tallest

Here are the top 5 in Charlotte -

1.  BOACC - 60 floors - 871 feet / 265.5 meters  -  Tallest in Charlotte and tallest between Philadelphia and Atlanta

image.jpeg.ffad9017840126957ec7d62301b5c203.jpeg

2.  DEC - 48 floors - 786 feet / 239.7 meters - 2nd tallest tower

150px-Duke_Energy_Center_cropped.jpg

3.  Charlotte Metro Tower / DEC2 - 42 floors - 660 feet / 201.1 meters  - New 3rd tallest tower (Under construction)

Duke Energy released a high-resolution rendering of its proposed uptown tower on Monday as developer Childress Klein filed initial permit applications with the city of Charlotte.

4.  Hearst / Truist Tower - 47 floors - 659 feet / 200.8 meters - 4th tallest tower

image.jpeg.e0b45d19f58c8e363c6feff76592bb13.jpeg

5.  BOAT / Legacy Union 1 - 35 floors - 632 feet / 193 meters - 5th tallest tower

image.jpeg.c961e1e6066c0bb64adf7d92ba06eb50.jpeg

This means that Charlotte will have 5 NYC-scale buildings exceeding 600 feet tall - Incredible! 

Just 12 American cities have more buildings 600+ feet tall than Charlotte;  2 American cities have the same # as Charlotte (i.e., Denver & Pittsburgh) 

Here are the American cities that have 600+ foot / 182.88+ meters tall buildings and the # each city has:

• Atlanta - 11
  • Atlantic City - 1
  • Austin - 2
  • Boston - 7
  • Charlotte - 5
  • Chicago - 53
  • Cincinnati - 1
  • Cleveland - 3
  • Columbus - 1
  • Dallas - 11
  • Denver - 5
  • Des Moines - 1
  • Detroit - 3
  • Houston - 19
  • Indianapolis - 1
  • Jacksonville - 1
  • Jersey City - 3
  • Kansas City - 1
  • Las Vegas - 10
  • Los Angeles - 18
  • Miami - 22
  • Milwaukee - 1
  • Minneapolis - 4
  • Mobile - 1
  • Nashville - 1
  • New Orleans - 2
  • New York City - 149
  • Oklahoma City - 1
  • Omaha - 1
  • Philadelphia - 9
  • Pittsburgh - 5
  • San Antonio - 1 
  • San Francisco - 13
  • Seattle - 9
  • Sunny Isles Beach, FL - 7 (Miami metro)
  • Tulsa - 2

Link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina

See, also, Tall Buildings in Selected North American Cities, 2019 World Almanac and Book of Facts, at pp. 716-21.

Why isn't the Vue on here? It has 51 floors