Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

When I was looking for this thread, it occurred to me that we have a 40 + story building just starting construction and it is mid way down page two.  Our airport is going through a multi billion dollar expansion and it is down on page 2,  we really are doing well in Charlotte.

So, here’s my question....when will we see a tower crane on this project?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

When I was looking for this thread, it occurred to me that we have a 40 + story building just starting construction and it is mid way down page two.  Our airport is going through a multi billion dollar expansion and it is down on page 2,  we really are doing well in Charlotte.

So, here’s my question....when will we see a tower crane on this project?

Give it a few more weeks of site work before a crane arrives for this now reportedly 42 story high rise 100% leased 1 Million sq ft tower. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Incredible. Major major major development for the city to be fully leased already at that size.

It surely is incredible.  Amazon leased 500,000 sq ft in Nashville with option to grow and that is that city's downtown biggest lease I think ever..  Duke leases 1 Million sq ft in new tower here.  BofA leases 550,000 sq ft in Legacy 1 tower,  Truist Bank leases over 500,000 sq ft in Hearst Tower.    Charlotte lease sizes are why we have such tall buildings. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It surely is incredible.  Amazon leased 500,000 sq ft in Nashville with option to grow and that is that city's downtown biggest lease I think ever..  Duke leases 1 Million sq ft in new tower here.  BofA leases 550,000 sq ft in Legacy 1 tower,  Truist Bank leases over 500,000 sq ft in Hearst Tower.    Charlotte lease sizes are why we have such tall buildings. 

Do not fail to miss that just because this building is 100% leased....for that to happen it means vacancy has been created elsewhere. but yes it is super cool for this one

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte lease sizes are why we have such tall buildings. 

For the size Charlotte is, I think it's really smart to be putting these huge leases into one big tower instead of multiple mid-rises, like Ballantyne. If developers here wanted to they could buy up multiple lots on the edges of uptown and build a bunch of smaller buildings, but doing these bigger buildings instead will then lead to more towers being eventually filled in on all the empty lots uptown and then you can do the mid-rise stuff outside uptown in a smarter way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Do not fail to miss that just because this building is 100% leased....for that to happen it means vacancy has been created elsewhere. but yes it is super cool for this one

when Duke moves into this tower they are leaving 500K or so of owner occupied space that they will sell and it will probably be demo'ed  and about 400K space in 400 South Tryon that is where the big whole in an existing building will be.   They may exit out of their lease in Nascar Plaza but that is a smaller amount.  But the biggest chunk will be sold off and probably torn down so it as not as bad.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Is there any chance they decide to add a few floors?

They already did, it was initially 40. If they add more is debatable but I would think they would have added even more when they increased the count from 40 to 42. 

I wish they would just bump the floor count to like 50 and also move their offices out of Duke energy center into this building. To me it seems like if you are going through all this trouble to consolidate why not go all the way. 

I agree That I don’t understand why they leaving the 5-10 floors their. You would think that Wells Fargo would want them at some point. Maybe they don’t now, but in 5/7 years. [emoji2375]

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

They already did, it was initially 40. If they add more is debatable but I would think they would have added even more when they increased the count from 40 to 42.

There is a threshold, just like with Ally building, once you add a certain number of floors you have to provide additional access (I believe it was elevator only, but not certain). It is possible 42 is that threshold. Plus, 42 is always the right answer ;)

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:

There is a threshold, just like with Ally building, once you add a certain number of floors you have to provide additional access (I believe it was elevator only, but not certain). It is possible 42 is that threshold. Plus, 42 is always the right answer ;)

Above 420' requires an additional egress stair unless you are providing an elevator for occupant evacuation. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I know. But they were able to fill those additional floors already. I'm not sure of the engineering ability to add any additional floors however.

9 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I know. But they were able to fill those additional floors already. I'm not sure of the engineering ability to add any additional floors however.

Its usually more an elevator thing. probably need another set of elevators to go any taller

Edited by Guest