Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

whoa this is breaking news so it is same height as Legacy BOAT

Its the same height, but because its down hill will appear shorter from all angles.

1 minute ago, Wrangler said:

A little disappointing. I thought it was a great opportunity to make a bigger impact with something in that 750 to 800 range. Heck, could have gone to 900 and been the new tallest. Would have made a serious visual impact on that corner of uptown and been a new icon for Charlotte.

Original drawings were around 700 feet, and depicted what could have been the most iconic building in Charlotte history. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

This is a reminder for those who seem to think any day now we're gonna get a new tallest. Let's talk in another 2 cycles.

3-4 cycles is more like it, unless we go through an incredible economic renaissance.

7 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

An Economic Renaissance like Nashville’s.  Seem like they’re building an incredible amount of 20 to 30 Story buildings and having good infill projects.

As is Charlotte... And no, that's not what I mean. We would need a return to the dick measuring contests of the 1980s and 90s, where men with much bigger egos than their... fought to build taller. After the Great Recession, people in mid markets are austere, and build what's needed for future growth, and efficient, they don't build vanity edifices, with the exception of Oklahoma City, but Devon Energy is an oil company, that kind of reckless swagger still exists in that industry. Charlotte will need to run out of developable space, and that ain't happening, urbanity will grow out, gobbling up every gridded street in the "Next Big Neighborhood." 

The only thing I think is less likely than Charlotte getting a new tallest in the next 15-20 years, is Charlotte getting MLB, ever.

Edited by Guest

53 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

As is Charlotte... And no, that's not what I mean. We would need a return to the dick measuring contests of the 1980s and 90s, where men with much bigger egos than their... fought to build taller. After the Great Recession, people in mid markets are austere, and build what's needed for future growth, and efficient, they don't build vanity edifices, with the exception of Oklahoma City, but Devon Energy is an oil company, that kind of reckless swagger still exists in that industry. Charlotte will need to run out of developable space, and that ain't happening, urbanity will grow out, gobbling up every gridded street in the "Next Big Neighborhood." 

The only thing I think is less likely than Charlotte getting a new tallest in the next 15-20 years, is Charlotte getting MLB, ever.

Both of those two things require a semi egotistical person to bring a new tallest or MLB team to Charlotte. We already have a well heeled sports owner but no well heeled new HQ to pull that off (no Michael Jordan and Truist don't qualify). So my vote is that at 70 years old Tepper is bored after a Super Bowl and a few MLS cups and brings the Rays to CLT to complete the trifecta.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Too bad Ken Thompson made that agreement with WF that prevented DEC from becoming the new tallest. In a world full of super talls,"

That is a false statement.

Thompson was pushed out of Wachovia in June 2008 as the Wachovia's financial situation deteriorated due to Thompson's bad decision to purchase Golden West.  Wachovia was forced by the Federal Reserve and Treasury Department to merge with Wells Fargo in Septmeber 2008 after a rejected  deal from CitiBank when Wachovia became unable to fund itself in the early fall.

Ken Thompson joined the other bankster Ken, Ken Lewis of Bank of America, as being the most incompetent bank executives in the history of Charlotte and certainly amongst the worst bank executives in the history of the United States.  

6 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

"Too bad Ken Thompson made that agreement with WF that prevented DEC from becoming the new tallest. In a world full of super talls,"

That is a false statement.

Thompson was pushed out of Wachovia in June 2008 as the Wachovia's financial situation deteriorated due to Thompson's bad decision to purchase Golden West.  Wachovia was forced by the Federal Reserve and Treasury Department to merge with Wells Fargo in Septmeber 2008 after a rejected  deal from CitiBank when Wachovia became unable to fund itself in the early fall.

Ken Thompson joined the other bankster Ken, Ken Lewis of Bank of America, as being the most incompetent bank executives in the history of Charlotte and certainly amongst the worst bank executives in the history of the United States.  

I’m not really sure what relevance this has to what you quoted... what I said still remains true. 

13 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

That’s kinda funny in a thread about a building under construction that would be the tallest in Nashville one block away from a recently completed build that would also be the tallest in Nashville and across the street from a 10 year old building that....would also be the tallest in Nashville.

True - But Nashville is growing more densely in the way I wish Charlotte would with the propagation of more 20 to 30 Story Buildings.  In time I guess.

7 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

True - But Nashville is growing more densely in the way I wish Charlotte would with the propagation of more 20 to 30 Story Buildings.  In time I guess.

I would say Charlotte's core is vastly more dense than Nashville, and they are just catching up.

3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Charlotte has a  larger and Much  denser core than Nashville. Nashville has development that goes way outside of it’s downtown, but it is certainly no where near as dense or tall- and they certainly aren’t building near as much office. 

16 minutes ago, dnlleffingwell said:

I think that Nashville doesn't build very tall because of the threat of possible earthquakes.  Is this a possible reason?

no couple of reasons which I once pointed out on Nashville UP and got everyone upset.   They until recently do not have large office users that require tons of space and are willing to pay for it like we do.  Amazon is their biggest non governmental tenant or will be at 500K sq ft to start out with.  Bank of America and Wells have millions of square feet of office space uptown and this Duke Metro tower is 1 Million sq all Duke Energy.  They don't have those kinds of tenants there.   Plus their city council has limited many areas where they can build really tall buildings height caps.  They are closer to the New Madrid fault that runs through St Louis down to Memphis but don't think it is a reason.  There have been many proposals to build a 750 foot high condo tower and so forth but they never seem to get off the ground.  Super tall residential in this country is really concentrated in about 5 cities like Miami and NYC.  

I do agree their central core is more spread out than ours.  That is why many of historical high rises get lost in the forest of newer taller high rises.  Big office space users means tall buildings. 

• Like 3