Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

22 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t know much about the actual construction process, but is it correct that since there’s a crane, this will start rising now?  I would have assumed that, but there doesn’t seem to be a concrete base with rebar.

In my estimation it’ll still be a couple months before this building rises above street level based on the recent Earthwork & Excavation photos.  Erection of the first Tower Crane now could be a function of many things - Availability, costs, oversized truck permits, etc. - having one onsite and functional will help with the deployment of & moving materials around a tight site.  

Looks like a lot of foundation work is still required but with a Tower Crane active that’ll help speed things up.  I’m still estimating late March to May timeframe before we see any real Vertical progress above street level.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

On 7/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I’m surprised that NY doesn’t have more than 149 towers over 600 feet.  I think that’s a pretty old number.  Anyway, that’s great  news for the QC!

Same. I would think that NY would have like 400+ towers at least at 600 ft or more. 

2 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

That's cool! Those cranes have a Luffing Jib, I wonder if it will help with the architectural top on the tower when they get there.

It is cool. Luffing Jib cranes are very versatile. This looks like a Liebherr. You see these in NY a lot.

• Like 1

I really believe this building will look even better than the renderings once complete. It’s very sleek, sharp, and has great character near the bottom with a nice razor top. Most buildings look worse when constructed like a few I won’t name but I have high hopes for this one. 

Edited by j-man

33 minutes ago, j-man said:

I really believe this building will look even better than the renderings once complete. It’s very sleek, sharp, and has great character nee the bottom with a nice razor top. Most buildings look worse when constructed like a few I won’t name but I have high hopes for this one. 

I would agree at this standpoint. Don't know anything for sure but i do think think things could could change on the secret nature of this project. It is true prognostication at this standpoint.

49 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

I would agree at this standpoint. Don't know anything for sure but i do think think things could could change on the secret nature of this project. It is true prognostication at this standpoint.

I just hope they don’t release “new renderings” and they look basic. It always happens. Like Ally for instance. I loved the original but as soon as they started to break ground they released the box that it stands as today though it is not the worst. 

I just hope they don’t release “new renderings” and they look basic. It always happens. Like Ally for instance. I loved the original but as soon as they started to break ground they released the box that it stands as today though it is not the worst. 

There was much more to the process than that. The two renderings were for two different target demographics. The second one got chosen. They drew 3 or 4 more iterations which are somewhere in this thread god willing. I know I lost em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There was much more to the process than that. The two renderings were for two different target demographics. The second one got chosen. They drew 3 or 4 more iterations which are somewhere in this thread god willing. I know I lost em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why be so secretive as to what it's going to look like from all angles? Their behavior is odd.

5 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I think Duke is of the mindset that they just don't want to publicize or increase the glitz factor of this new tower by releasing more images since they're a public utility and people are understandably sensitive to coal ash clean up expenses and rate increases.  I think they had to release the one image they did back in March because the building was going to happen regardless and people knew that, but I think that was enough for them and they just want to keep their head down while this thing goes up.  I'd love it to be some "Surprise!  We added another 11 floors!  Gotcha.",  but I think it's just being cautionary with public perception.  My $0.02.

I think it is this exactly. Recall that 1BAC opened in 2010, when the economy was still in the barrel & the banks fervently despised. I know for a fact that there were some pretty glitzy and novel features of 1BAC that were pulled from that project because the bank knew the perception would be terrible. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1