Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

On 1/30/2020 at 9:20 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Not only is this tower going to be gorgeous, but I love the location virtually next to The Green, which along with Polk Park, is one of my favorite spots Uptown.  

I am hoping there is an arcade or linear park that spans the whole length connecting Tryon and College streets.  Would also think it would be cool to have a connection thru to The Green as well.  The canyon effect will be crazy at The Green once DEC2 is complete.  

15 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I really appreciate this 600’+ Building being built here in Charlotte but does anyone else feel like it’s location will make the Skyline look unbalanced? 

I welcome all and any 600 footers lol.  It's filling in a giant parking lot on Tryon and since it's not taller than DEC...I think it will look fine.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

29 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I really appreciate this 600’+ Building being built here in Charlotte but does anyone else feel like it’s location will make the Skyline look unbalanced? 

I actually don't think so at all. It's going to blend in nicely.

image.png.8081bdaa8adb2d283688a4a77f776fd3.thumb.png.35f851be9f9c981faedb8fd160acda0d.png

image.thumb.png.f40ad76f4187435a4727d61c31aa25ce.png

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

found my rendering I saved when it was announced and is this still the current working design? 

DukeMetroTower.jpg

more or less. I think it might have lost the very slight taper in the glass panels. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I say that all the time. I think they only wanted it there to be in close proximity to the rest of Duke employees. Honestly LU1 made the skyline look really unbalanced. I so wish DE2 was by Ellis Apartments 

Edited by j-man

2 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Duke already owned this land I believe.  I think it is just a better economic decision to build on land that you already own and sell the building than to buy new land and build.

Nope. they bought it for crazy amounts of money from a guy who had been banking the land for decades. And Duke doesn't even own the land now. They aren't developing it, Childress Klein and CGA Capital are fully funding the project and buying the finished product at $675M

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, CTiger said:

Duke already owned this land I believe.  I think it is just a better economic decision to build on land that you already own and sell the building than to buy new land and build.

Oh ok. Well yeah that makes sense. And I’m sure when they bought the land it was cheaper than what lots are now in Uptown.

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

Oh ok. Well yeah that makes sense. And I’m sure when they bought the land it was cheaper than what lots are now in Uptown.

See my response on the past page.

8 minutes ago, j-man said:

I say that all the time. I think they only wanted it there to be in close proximity to the rest of Duke employees. Honestly LU1 made the skyline look really unbalanced. I so wish DE2 was by Ellis Apartments 

Legacy Union is to Duke Energy as Hearst is to Bank of America Corp Center. It balances the skyline almost perfectly. 

DEC2 by Ellis Apartments would be like adding an even crazier Vue.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

See my response on the past page.

Legacy Union is to Duke Energy as Hearst is to Bank of America Corp Center. It balances the skyline almost perfectly. 

DEC2 by Ellis Apartments would be like adding an even crazier Vue.

I saw your response just now. Thanks and yes I always see those correlations of the tallest towers but I think DE2 will throw it off unless they build a y’all tower for Truist Bank near Hearst lol. BUT....the entire skyline is unbalanced because Bank of America and Hearst are the “center city” of center city so technically there needs to be a couple 600+ footers near the north side around Skyhouse area.