Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

Feel free to share my journal entry with Mr. Big:

Quarantine Day 18: My tiny little desk area in my office building officially surpasses Disney World as the happiest place on Earth.

No blue...

Edit....and Happy April Fool's Day to you too.....

Clarifying Edit....my comment was still serious

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

A relative of mind who is Kind of a Big DealTM  at Duke tells me the new power tower won't be scrapped, but that they're looking to significantly downsize the size of the building given what they're learning from telecommuting as the result of the pandemic.  Expect this to be scaled back to something closer to twenty stories in the shape of a boring glass box.

BTW, it could have been worse: there was serious discussion about whether or not to keep a glass facade or to engage in something resembling the exposed steel beam lattice designed used  prominently in Chicago, that way it would still be an "iconic" building Uptown; apparently there's no accounting for taste.

You totally had me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnlleffingwell said:

This project will be scraped almost totally. Maybe they can make the underground parking into a large underground bunker. That will be the topping out. 95% or higher of all projects that are not more than 50% on there way will not be completed and almost certain that all projects that have been announced and not started will go to there coffin. Time will tell. 

I'm not saying you are wrong, because you could be correct, I seem to remember you being fairly tuned into this particular project, but I'd like to point out a few things...

This building has a sale and leaseback deal worth $675M 

My energy bill jumped 40% because of work from home, people are still paying their utilities. 

And boy is Childress Klein look very exposed right now.

I'd be more worried about Vantage #2, FNB, Square at SouthEnd, 10 Tryon (again), 7th & Tryon (which was likely going to have a second Truist Tower), The Carson (unannounced), Intercontinental (I think the person who predicted this maybe started the virus)

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Would the suspected projects listed above pick up momentum again after the current state of affairs are over, or are they cancelled indefinitely?

I don't think anyone will know until there is a light at the end of the tunnel, which there is not currently. China is back up in running, but they still haven't revved up. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-revs-its-engine-to-move-past-coronavirus-but-its-stuck-in-second-gear/2020/03/31/13c81b20-7230-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

I’m so confused about all of these posts. With this project be built or not? Yes or no, and if it is still being built will it still be as big, if not why? 

Well keep in mind today was April fools, so anything Tyrone Wiggum said today, take as a joke. If it was going to get smaller, it would need to go back through permitting, and they would look very silly for spending a record land price. The fact is, Duke needs more space, and people still need an abundance of electricity. I think this one gets built still. Maybe a delay, maybe some value engineering, but I think it gets built.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Tyree Ricardo said:

Well keep in mind today was April fools, so anything Tyrone Wiggum said today, take as a joke. If it was going to get smaller, it would need to go back through permitting, and they would look very silly for spending a record land price. The fact is, Duke needs more space, and people still need an abundance of electricity. I think this one gets built still. Maybe a delay, maybe some value engineering, but I think it gets built.

Lol I know I actually wanted to keep it going :tw_sweat_smile:

On 4/9/2020 at 7:41 PM, Yo Diaz! said:

Thanks!
It’s going well in my opinion. Guys are taking it serious and GC’s all stress and prioritize safety and safety consciousness to begin with so it’s easy for them to stress the seriousness of this situation as well.
Everyone is doing there part to follow the protocols - 6ft or more spacing. Masks required where 6ft can’t be maintained. Hand wash stations setup, Doors stay propped open and more.
On most commercial projects it’s not hard to be able to spread out and there is limited contact with the public. And now that offices are closed it’s even easier. In Residential construction it’s the same for new houses. Remodels though are being put on hold in most cases where homeowners are still living there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this project going at full pace -- if not quicker.  If so, how many floors above ground do you think it will be by Christmas?

• Like 1