mr. chips

South Main Street

48 minutes ago, mr. chips said:

This would be fantastic: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article155958419.html

Wouldn't it be even better if that four-block area would be turned into a pedestrian zone - a green zone with a water feature, sitting areas, outdoor restaurants, sculpture park, etc. It could be a great "entry hall" for the campus and the State House.

I love that idea, but I think that might be too much for the business owners (and Columbians) to digest. Pendleton will always need to stay open for access to the State House and practically speaking College should stay open for buses, but it makes a ton of sense to convert Greene to a pedestrian street from Assembly to Pickens. Devine could really go either way- it's so low volume. The road diet envisioned is still transformational though and would make it really easy to close down the street for festivals or farmers markets.

What I find odd about the plan is that 1) Cornell Arms is not there, which obviously is bizarre, and 2) it calls for the Byrnes building to be turned into an extension of the Horseshoe across Sumter. USC was part of the planning so they must have plans to demolish Byrnes, but I've never once heard that proposal. The nice thing if this goes through is that USC has had a huge hand in the design, meaning that the execution will undoubtedly feel similar to the rest of the two lane streets on campus. The school needs to put some money behind the plan and get moving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

What I find odd about the plan is that 1) Cornell Arms is not there, which obviously is bizarre, and 2) it calls for the Byrnes building to be turned into an extension of the Horseshoe across Sumter. USC was part of the planning so they must have plans to demolish Byrnes, but I've never once heard that proposal. The nice thing if this goes through is that USC has had a huge hand in the design, meaning that the execution will undoubtedly feel similar to the rest of the two lane streets on campus. The school needs to put some money behind the plan and get moving.

What do you mean about Cornell Arms not being there? - it is on Sumter, not Main St. What would really help that parcel bordered by College, Main, Pendleton and Sumter would be to fill up those horrible surface lots.

Just now, mr. chips said:

What do you mean about Cornell Arms not being there? - it is on Sumter, not Main St. What would really help that parcel bordered by College, Main, Pendleton and Sumter would be to fill up those horrible surface lots.

If you look at the plan itself, Cornell Arms has been replaced by a five or six story building. Unless I'm missing something, Cornell Arms isn't going anywhere. The biggest challenge in that superblock is actually the Cornell Arms parking lot. They probably pay nothing in taxes on that land and a parking structure would undoubtedly raise the cost of parking, which would cut into their profits or which they would need to pass on to their tenants. Unless the city is willing to offer them submarket rates or maybe freebie spots, I don't see them giving up that land. Of course the city seems to acquiesce to property owners, so subsidies may be a tenable solution.

1 hour ago, carolinagarnet said:

If you look at the plan itself, Cornell Arms has been replaced by a five or six story building. 

Where do you see the actual plan? In the State article there was just a map, and descriptions, but no plan. 

What is strange is that when I posted that link there was an article on the State webpage. Now that article has disappeared. Not sure what is going on.

12 hours ago, mr. chips said:

Where do you see the actual plan? In the State article there was just a map, and descriptions, but no plan. 

What is strange is that when I posted that link there was an article on the State webpage. Now that article has disappeared. Not sure what is going on.

Sorry: http://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/pc/agendas/20170605/cplan_-_south_main_capital_district_area_plan.pdf

It seems I'm not the only one that caught on to the absence of Cornell Arms and Byrnes. Truthfully I would love for both to be torn down. Not every architectural period has merit.

http://www.free-times.com/news/historians-worry-south-main-plan-would-doom-mid-century-architecture/article_8db2d028-610e-11e7-b5cc-e750df326b7b.html

On 7/5/2017 at 7:51 PM, carolinagarnet said:

It seems I'm not the only one that caught on to the absence of Cornell Arms and Byrnes. Truthfully I would love for both to be torn down. Not every architectural period has merit.

http://www.free-times.com/news/historians-worry-south-main-plan-would-doom-mid-century-architecture/article_8db2d028-610e-11e7-b5cc-e750df326b7b.html

No i would rather see that tower get a refurbished modernized look. Instead of tearing it down. It's a dense residential and a little short residential wouldn't really suffice.

1 hour ago, growingup15 said:

No i would rather see that tower get a refurbished modernized look. Instead of tearing it down. It's a dense residential and a little short residential wouldn't really suffice.

That building is so old that it's not economically feasible to modernize. I've been in it- the rooms are small, it's hamstrung by the outer structure, and it's just really not attractive. Shorter residential would absolutely suffice if the new building took on a great footprint by consuming some of the space currently occupied by surface lots.