• 4 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Port of Wilmington has record cold storage container lifts in April 

http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/more_news/2020/05/13/at_wilmington_port_a_cool_record_set_in_april/20378

and this 

""Next week, N.C. Ports is expecting its first 14,000 TEU ship, the MV Hyundai Hope, which would be the largest ship to pass through the Wilmington port and is one of the largest ships docking at ports along the East Coast, according to N.C. Ports.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, KJHburg said:

Port of Wilmington has record cold storage container lifts in April 

http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/more_news/2020/05/13/at_wilmington_port_a_cool_record_set_in_april/20378

and this 

""Next week, N.C. Ports is expecting its first 14,000 TEU ship, the MV Hyundai Hope, which would be the largest ship to pass through the Wilmington port and is one of the largest ships docking at ports along the East Coast, according to N.C. Ports.""

Wilmington has a ton of potential. I’m glad NC is getting the most out of this port. I hope the proposed Cape Fear crossing is built to alleviate truck traffic within the next 10 years. 

• Like 3

ever wondered how they turn around a container ship that goes up a river?  Here you go the biggest ship ever to call on a NC port the 1200 foot container ship video from NC Ports.      https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2020/05/21/in-pictures-largest-ship-in-its-history-ushers-port-of-wilmington-into-the-big-ship-era/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gezzz, was just watching a presentation on upgrading Southeast port capacity. The representative for NC Ports was busy talking up a new refrigerated intermodal terminal (which I believe is one track). They didn't even mention efforts to remove the central Wilmington rail bottleneck. Meanwhile the Georgia Ports guy talked about building the "largest on dock intermodal facility in North America."

NC Ports are getting their lunch eaten and have been throughout the intermodal age. Somebody has gotta tell the decision makers in Raleigh that NC is going to get bypassed in the global maritime supply chain if they continue to refuse to invest in the port of Wilmington.

image.png.3ea7c07e58a50322798414eddee382c6.png

Edited by kermit

^^^ Georgia has the best ports on the east coast if you ask me.  Very efficient and the state has poured lots of money into improvements for sure.  Georgia puts NC and SC to shame.  If you drive an European made car it probably came through Brunswick and any consumer goods you have bought made in Asia likely came through Savannah. 

Not port news but about containers being used as houses.

Modern Lines | WilmingtonBiz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Could this also affect the  Port of Wilmington?? Let's see what transpires with President Biden's green energy initiatives.

https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_27397df8-af73-11eb-b6cc-9743741c6f90.html

I see a couple of issues that would hinder this if memory serves me correct. 
1. Big issue with Morehead Port is that the train access goes right through the city. 
2. I believe that part of Radio Island is public beach access. Can that do this project without losing the access. I feel there would be the same issue that South Port had, a negative to the tourist industry. 

Edit: I wonder if this would be more feasible on Eagle Island in Wilmington?

Edited by Popsickle

16 hours ago, Popsickle said:

I see a couple of issues that would hinder this if memory serves me correct. 
1. Big issue with Morehead Port is that the train access goes right through the city. 
2. I believe that part of Radio Island is public beach access. Can that do this project without losing the access. I feel there would be the same issue that South Port had, a negative to the tourist industry. 

Edit: I wonder if this would be more feasible on Eagle Island in Wilmington?

This would be great news for Morehead. The bulk port just does not create many jobs so wind jobs would be a huge benefit to the area.

1) I am not sure that NS runs enough trains that the Arendell street tracks are a big problem (admittedly its been a few years since I have spent much time in Morehead)

2) Radio Island public beach access is on the Beaufort side of the island, that channel is relatively shallow and there is no turning basin, there is also a large jetty over there so dredging is probably not happening. I would bet any new port development on RI will be on the much deeper Morehead / Atlantic Beach side of the island (adjacent to the liquids terminal)

RE Wilmington: The area around Eagle Island is pretty shallow, and Eagle is really just  a giant wetland. The propsed new rail bridge across the Cape Fear could easily create a new, rail accessible terminal on the other side of the river from the oil terminal. There is also a good bit of space within the existing port footprint.  Having  said that,  I suspect that the location of Morehead City makes it a much more desirable and accessible port for wind energy development than Wilmington (I am guessing that Onslow and Raleigh Bays are probably a bit more consistently windy than Long Bay. Getting boats over Flying Pan shoals would make for a long trip to the shallow water North from Wilmington)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2