What does everyone think.........

motonenterprises

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be interesting for Greenville to have a taller building than Columbia. However, I tend to agree with other posts on this site that in the long run, Myrtle Beach will probably have the state's tallest buildings. Not being a fan of Myrtle Beach, I find that somewhat depressing, but oh well. I still have not seen any drawings of the proposed Greenville building. Is it really a signature building or is it another boxy building just a little taller than the other boxy buildings in Greenville and Columbia? It would be nice to have a signature building somewhere in SC. Some smaller cities like Greenville or Columbia have signature buildings like the RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile AL (look up Mobile at www.skyscraperpage.com for an illustration).

I'm not sure how the building is going to look. I personally haven't seen any renderings my self. Some of the other posters saw a rendering on WYFF news. If I had to guess it is probably going to have some type of dome shape or something. Being that it is 20 stories, but 350ft tall something has to be up top or really tall ceilings on each floor. I agree with the Myrtle Beach thing.

I know, doesn't it feel that way. I said that in another forum once and everyone jumped on me saying "NO, no". Well, i'm glad i'm not alone in thinking that.

I have seen a rendering of this building. It looks pretty neat. I don't know if it's the final drawing, but I like it. As for a signature building... That's hard to say. Just have to wait to see it built before we can really say that...

Why would you lose sleep anyway, this is great accomplishment for any city in SC. Tallest in a 100 mile radius? Charlotte and Atlanta are only a few miles away so thats impossible for Greenville. I am sick of some people from Columbia hating on Greenville. I sense envy and negativity in the previous post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You trying to stir up a fight between Greenville & Columbia to see who can get the tallest tower? I can see it now - we'll be the new Dubai/Bejing. :rofl:

Regardless, a new tallest, no matter where it's located, is a step in the right direction. I'm sure some friendly competition brewed between Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati for a while too ^_^

OK, here's some info for you: yes I do dislike Greenville. It has nothing to do with buildings or development; it has to do with politics. Because of the Upstate of South Carolina it is impossible to elect a progressive person to statewide office.

OK, here's some info for you: yes I do dislike Greenville. It has nothing to do with buildings or development; it has to do with politics. Because of the Upstate of South Carolina it is impossible to elect a progressive person to statewide office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does that have to do with a 350 foot building?

Funny that Greenville (Upstate) is the economic engine of SC with the most European investment.....yet it "isn't as progressive" as the rest of the state? I guess Europeans just aren't a progressive bunch. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all do respect, that is a stupid reason not to like a place. I don't like politics period, so should I hate the whole world? See how stupid that sounds. Progressive is in the eye of the beholder. Some just don't believe the way you do. Those conservatives feel they are as progressive as yourself.

I think it's great that South Carolina will have a new tallest but it sucks for Columbia that it will only be ONE foot taller than our Capitol Center (with the current proposal). Hopefully it'll ignite some kind of Skyscraper War between Columbia, Myrtle Beach and Greenville so every couple of years a new tower steals away the title.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I don't feel a forum such as this is any place for discussion of political viewpoints; however, I have one simple reply to that statement: If you feel that strongly about it, then stop complaining and move your butt up here and be part of the solution, not part of the problem. :whistling:

Back to the towers. Has anybody managed to find or capture a rendering of the proposed 350' Tower at Falls and Broad in Greenville yet? I wish I had 1) video capture equipment and 2) a recording of the WYFF-4 news from yesterday. Ugh.

You were complaining about people from Columbia "hating" on Greenville. I was giving one of the reasons for that fact. And, with all due respect, politics has alot to do with urban development, investment and the future of South Carolina.

As in every city around the World. In our state and country, Greenville is a great example of how a community should come together to promote itself, while also working on new ways to improve itself for both the current and future generations. As for urban development, Greenville is one of the best examples in the U.S. for proper urban development, as is mentioned often in publications and always mentioned by visitors and residents. I would highly recommend that you come visit this escape from improper urban development and experience the peace, comfort, and fellowship of truly high-quality life. :) You might learn from what you see, or you might actually end up loving it and staying like countless others are doing all the time. :lol:

Personally, I don't feel a forum such as this is any place for discussion of political viewpoints; however, I have one simple reply to that statement:  If you feel that strongly about it, then stop complaining and move your butt up here and be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can be. Make a separate thread though.

I think its cool that Greenville is getting SC's tallest. Maybe it will start a race between Greenville and Columbia ;)

I go through/stop by the GSA area often for an out-of-stater (about four times a year for various reasons). I have been through Columbia several times, too.

I think it's great that Greenville will be getting the state's tallest building. I'd like to see the finished work sometime when I go through there. Didn't already hold the title, though? Just curious.

Greenville and Columbia have impressive skylines for cities their size.

You were complaining about people from Columbia "hating" on Greenville. I was giving one of the reasons for that fact. And, with all due respect, politics has alot to do with urban development, investment and the future of South Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was complaining about some, usually only 2(you being 1) hating on Greenville. Most Columbians if you will, have no problem with Greenville. If politics has a lot to do with urban development, investment, and the future of South Carolina then Greenville politicians must be doing something right. The upstate is the economic engine of the state, 1.2 million of the state's people choose to live in the upstate, their are projects galore and 5+ towers over 12 stories planned just this year and its only May.

Why would you lose sleep anyway, this is great accomplishment for any city in SC. Tallest in a 100 mile radius? Charlotte and Atlanta are only a few miles away so thats impossible for Greenville. I am sick of some people from Columbia hating on Greenville. I sense envy and negativity in the previous post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrm, not hating on Greenville. Don't be so quick to judge. I've never even spent any time in Greenville besides passing through on the interstate. I'm sure I will have to spend some time there eventually.

You asked what everyone thought; I am stricken with grave indifference. First, you posted no real details so it is hard for me to get excited. Second, 350 feet is hardly a trembling height; I am more concerned with what the building will be used for and look like rather than how tall it is at that point.

To know what the new tower will be used for, you need to read the article, The Article.

As for what it looks like, I don't even know because I was partying both during the evening news and the nightly news. I'm sure it must be better-looking than any of the highrises in the state though, because: 1) it's taller 2) it's not a flat rooftop 3) it's one of a growing list of new highrises in Greenville. :)

I think you also must recognize that aside from the condos at Myrtle Beach, large towers such as this are not commonplace in SC. Especially a mixed-use tower. I would go so far as to say this is the most truely "urban" tower in SC.

I am looking forward to more details on this tower.

As for Columbia, I think that it could easily support something like this. We just need someone to build it.

Archived