What does everyone think.........

motonenterprises

To know what the new tower will be used for, you need to read the article, The Article.

Hey wow, details. This sounds like a pretty neat project; I'm especially impressed that the small businesses will have a place to call home downtown and not necessarily have to lease. The retail will be a great component as well; hopefully they can put some unique storefronts down there to further aid in differetiation.

However, as for the original question that sparked this thread, I remain underwhelmed. If you want big towers, you are living in the wrong place. Columbia and Greenville getting in a skyscraper "war" is truly a cripple fight.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey wow, details.  This sounds like a pretty neat project; I'm especially impressed that the small businesses will have a place to call home downtown and not necessarily have to lease.  The retail will be a great component as well; hopefully they can put some unique storefronts down there to further aid in differetiation.

However, as for the original question that sparked this thread, I remain underwhelmed.  If you want big towers, you are living in the wrong place.  Columbia and Greenville getting in a skyscraper "war" is truly a cripple fight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree with you on this. I am living in the "right" place. Cities like Charlotte and Atlanta haven't always had such big towers. Columbia and Greenville are in the growing stages right now. A cripple fight? How?

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the developer is enticing such a war. :rofl: (and I'm just joking of course!)

If a developer builds soley on the premise of out-doing another city in the same state, he or she may need to consider a different profession. I don't see that kind of development being very successful in either the short or long run. However if there is a business or developer with the capital and a vision, anything can be accomplished architecturally. I'd love to see more of that wealth be put into the visual appeal of the buildings. :)

One foot two feet three feet taller. It doesn't matter congrats to Greenville for what its worth.

I do think that it will spark a skyscraper competition between the two metro areas, maybe not immediately but soon enough. As someone said before there is no problem with a little heatlhy competition, but lets not forget that Columbia has a large skyline for a reason. It's not as though the region doesn't have economic impact.

Regardless, a new tallest, no matter where it's located, is a step in the right direction.  I'm sure some friendly competition brewed between Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati for a while too  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. Right now I don't think SC is in much of a position to be picky about this, especially being located between GA and NC, whose largest cities have nationally-known skylines. So as long as this is occurring in one of our major cities, I'm very happy.

I did a little checking on the office leasing environments of the Greenville and Columbia markets. Greenville ended 2004 with an 8.7% Class A Vacancy rate and a positvie absorption of 239,000 SF of Class A office space. Numbers like those usually get the developers speculating (as we can see from recent anncouncements). The CBD is outperforming the suburban markets so the logical place to build is in the CBD.

Columbia's Class A vacancy rate is hovering at bout 11.7%. This is a pretty good number considering over 500,000 SF of space was added or announced in 2004. However, developers are not likley to speculate until the vacancy rate drops below 10%.

As an aside, I was shocked to see the Columbia market is about 30% larger than the Greenville market, with the Columbia's CBD market roughly twice the size of Greenville's.

Anyway you can look herefor the info and draw your own conclusions.

All this is to say, that conditions are ripe for this type of development in DT Greenville.

Archived