Hudson's Site | 680 FT | 49 Floors

RustTown

Back in March, Dan Gilbert formally proposed Detroiit's new tallest building.  It will rise 52 stories and 734 feet - which three underground floors of parking - and will include a 250-unit apartment tower, and a podium with office, retail, conference, and tech/arts/cultural space.  It is scheduled to break ground in December of this year.

hudson-site-development-shop-architect-detroit_dezeen_2364_col_1-copy.jpg

hudson-site-development-shop-architect-detroit_dezeen_2364_col_2.jpg

hudson-site-development-shop-architect-detroit_dezeen_2364_col_3.jpg

hudson-site-development-shop-architect-detroit_dezeen-hero.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 4:10 PM, Lmichigan said:

The tower broke ground, today.  It will become the tallest building in the state.

TowerHuds.jpg

Tower.jpg

Market.jpg

WoodwardHuds.0.jpg

The bottom has been fleshed out, more, but the renderings still leave the top as a bit of a mystery.  It does better show the overhanging observation deck, though.

Wow!  This is actually happening?!  Very very cool.  I sense a boom coming to Detroit.  A tower like this would be amazing in GR.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last week in Detroit. You know you're a visitor when you love allllll the snow.

Not the most updated renderings, but I was curious about the skyline, too, after passing the site. 

sGOITWN.jpguwl30t8.jpglydeqWu.jpg

All from https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/11/20/detroit-skyline-hudsons-tower/880337001/ (+ more there)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 10:25 PM, xtianpoop said:

Spent the last week in Detroit. You know you're a visitor when you love allllll the snow.

Not the most updated renderings, but I was curious about the skyline, too, after passing the site. 

sGOITWN.jpguwl30t8.jpglydeqWu.jpg

All from https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/11/20/detroit-skyline-hudsons-tower/880337001/ (+ more there)

Looks awesome.  Can't wait to see this and Monroe block rise.

• 2 months later...

Thus far, most of the work has been happening underground in the 4-level garage.  They first had to stablize the walls of the garage before heavy demolition could take place.  Well, demolition finally began above-ground last week.  A pic from Friday couresty of 48307 over at DetroitYes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35516&d=1523

This is massive work, as you can see, given the depth and surface area of the site, though, demolition actually seems to be ahead of schedule.  Above-ground work wasn't expected until next month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 4:48 AM, Lmichigan said:

Update.  Site prep work continues; photo from yesterday:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35809&d=1527

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?23134-hudson-Site-Construction/page4

And with announcement earlier this week of the last bit of major financing falling into place, a few new renderings were released.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35780&d=1527

attachment.php?attachmentid=35779&d=1527

attachment.php?attachmentid=35781&d=1527

Thanks for the updates, I appreciate them!   I can't wait to see this thing rise, it's such an awesome project.   Us Grand Rapidians are jealous, all we get are 12 story projects.

• 1 month later...

General contractor Barton Malow has finally gotten this on their social media platform, which means we're getting closer to actual construction.

DguSccrX0AYXbo_.jpg

Barton Malow Preps for Five-Year Project

By Irwin Rapoport – CEG Correspondent

Wed June 27, 2018 - Midwest Edition #13

Once the demolition of an existing parking deck is complete, the construction will begin on the tower's foundations and superstructure. As the tower comes out of the ground, the new parking structure will follow. The 10-story building will be the last to emerge and work will continue on both structures concurrently and year-round.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More news on this one.  They height has been increased yet again, though they will not decided how much above 800 feet it will be until January.  With the current core design, it can max out at 912 feet.  If they decide for a total internal redesign, who knows?  At 912 feet, though, it'd have the highest roof of any building in the Midwest outside Chicago.  I think the Key Tower in Cleveland currently hold this title.  Really, I just like to see them say 'what the hell' and make this a supertall.

Gilbert's Hudson's site skyscraper may grow to 912 feet in height

HudsonsSiteDemolition_i.jpg

Kirk Pinho |  Crain's Detroit Business

The prep work is still on schedule.  The debris pile, which had to have been at least a half-a-story thick across the site after demolition, is nearly gone which mean they can start foundation work soon.

On 10/4/2018 at 1:23 AM, Lmichigan said:

More news on this one.  They height has been increased yet again, though they will not decided how much above 800 feet it will be until January.  With the current core design, it can max out at 912 feet.  If they decide for a total internal redesign, who knows?  At 912 feet, though, it'd have the highest roof of any building in the Midwest outside Chicago.  I think the Key Tower in Cleveland currently hold this title.  Really, I just like to see them say 'what the hell' and make this a supertall.

Gilbert's Hudson's site skyscraper may grow to 912 feet in height

HudsonsSiteDemolition_i.jpg

Kirk Pinho |  Crain's Detroit Business

The prep work is still on schedule.  The debris pile, which had to have been at least a half-a-story thick across the site after demolition, is nearly gone which mean they can start foundation work soon.

Awesome!  Lets go for over 1k!  Thanks for the update.

The Free Press had a bit more on this.  Bedrock confirmed for sure this is going higher than 800 feet.  We also learn that they will be applying for a foundation permit next month, so that will be the start of construction, which makes sense given that it won't be too much longer this month before the site is fully cleaned out.

A photo of the progress on the debris removal from the site as of Tuesday:

attachment.php?attachmentid=36660&d=1538

Here is a link to to the Hudson's Tower Block Site Plan released by Crain's dated September 10th, 2018.  Is there is a reason why this hasn't been publicized too much?  The tower has been completely redesigned in this version.  In my opinion I think it looks way better better with the stepped elevation.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://crain-platform-cdb-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2018-10/hudson+site+plan.pdf

hudson%20site%20plan-03_i.jpg