New Richmond Arena

eandslee

Richmond has the VCU Rams, UR, and VUU with athletics programs to get your sporting fix from. AA Squirrels for baseball.  Outdoor amphitheaters and indoor venues abound for live music and entertainment.  If I really want to see a major act, I don’t have a problem driving two hours to the political epicenter of Planet Earth so I don’t miss out.

But the problem is not everyone is willing to go out of there way to go somewhere else for any of that stuff. Plus college sports is not worth it yes I love vcu basketball but if I’m going to watch something else I want pro sports even if it’s at the lowest level give me a good echl or ahl hockey game and I am good. Yes I love having the squirrels here as that’s pretty much the only pro sport I have fun looking forward to every spring and summer. But your missing the entire point we need an arena to make it easier on people who don’t want to go to dc and to be perfectly honestly with you I cant stand dc nor can I stand driving anywhere near it. I feel like you clearly don’t understand the concept on why it’s important for a metro of 1.3 million people to have an arena. The point of it is to increase options for people to have fun not everyone wants to tour a museum or tour the cities history. Don’t get me wrong I love history but not to the point I make it a hobby or an interest. Plus I dont see any good amphitheater’s here to begin with. Need an amphitheater like the one in Virginia Beach or like jiffy lube live in Bristow. I’m tired of having to drive elsewhere just to have fun. Plus it should be up to a certain group of people to make that decision for people who want to see pro sports or entertainment. Yeah vcu has basketball but there isn’t one college in this town that has ice hockey or even a decent college baseball or football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Honestly, I was almost more excited about the surrounding development that would have followed thre arena more than the actual arena itself. This project would have added lots of new residents downtown and allowed for the city to kickstart development other than VCU or biotech in that part of the city. Hopefully Farrel peruses the other parts of the proposal if/when the arena falls through. 

• Like 1

I don’t think the arena proposal is completely dead...I think it is paused and can be revived quickly when the conditions and terms are right.  To come out with a delivery to city council with the plan now would be crazy...too many other issues on the front burner to address first.  It may be later this year or even next year before a proposal is presented to council...at least that is my prediction (assuming there aren’t any major issues that overshadow the arena plan before then).  All hope is not lost yet.  We’ll see what happens and how things progress.  I hope the press doesn’t forget and presses the mayor periodically so that we can get updates on the project as the months go by.  Just don’t expect anything soon. 

The deal isn’t dead because it never had life.  

It was never real.  There was zero financial interest in it.  If you recall, not one developer responded to the RFP.  There were no architectural drawings (that weren't essentially Microsoft clip art ).  No businesses expressed an interest.  The only thing Richmond has lost is the adequate, albeit drab, Coliseum (that was once a state of the art arena that had zero economic impact on downtown). 

You want sports? Go to a Kickers game.  The city would be better served building a better soccer stadium (at least people go to see that).  The Squirles first order of business was to eliminate 1/4 of the seating at the Diamond so that games wouldn’t look unattended.   Richmond isn’t a spectator sports town.  It isn't likely to become one in the next 30-40 years either.  Our size and growth is relative.   We aren’t the only growing city and not every metro gets professional sports (what would be the honor in that?).  

I like concerts.  I’m a huge music snob.  The shows that I see out of town are at small venues.  Shows don’t bypass Richmond because there isn’t an arena.  They bypass Richmond because there are only x amount of dates on any given tour.  Geography, prestige and demand drive the tour.  Washington DC looks better on a t-shirt than Richmond.  If you can only have one stop in the area, you’re going to pick DC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

I agree. With a metro area of over 1.3 million we should not have to rely on the venues of other cities.  In regards to the comment about Beyoncé won’t come trust me, there are plenty of quality acts out there that would come to a quality venue    to perform. If you can spend money in DC and  VA. Beach then certainly that money can be spent in your own back yard. #LocalPride

I used the Beyoncé reference due to the corny way the arena proposal was given to us through several news outlets... something to the effect ... “Beyoncé will come.,.”   Read the headline 

I am not a fan and don’t care if she comes

but I definitely agree with you... especially if Richmond keeps growing 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Downtowner said:

But the problem is not everyone is willing to go out of there way to go somewhere else for any of that stuff. Plus college sports is not worth it yes I love vcu basketball but if I’m going to watch something else I want pro sports even if it’s at the lowest level give me a good echl or ahl hockey game and I am good. Yes I love having the squirrels here as that’s pretty much the only pro sport I have fun looking forward to every spring and summer. But your missing the entire point we need an arena to make it easier on people who don’t want to go to dc and to be perfectly honestly with you I cant stand dc nor can I stand driving anywhere near it. I feel like you clearly don’t understand the concept on why it’s important for a metro of 1.3 million people to have an arena. The point of it is to increase options for people to have fun not everyone wants to tour a museum or tour the cities history. Don’t get me wrong I love history but not to the point I make it a hobby or an interest. Plus I dont see any good amphitheater’s here to begin with. Need an amphitheater like the one in Virginia Beach or like jiffy lube live in Bristow. I’m tired of having to drive elsewhere just to have fun. Plus it should be up to a certain group of people to make that decision for people who want to see pro sports or entertainment. Yeah vcu has basketball but there isn’t one college in this town that has ice hockey or even a decent college baseball or football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that an arena wouldn't be of use, I'm simply saying a lot of people on here make it sound like Richmond is dying or not going to succeed if we don't have one. I think that is single minded, and an extreme exaggeration. We ARE doing great, so how can people say that not having an arena is going to kill Richmond?

I understand that some people want an arena for entertainment and sports. What I was trying to say is that there seems to be a quite large population that is fine with what we have. A population that is growing very fast. If those things are an absolute must to you, then I believe Richmond can afford to not have the quite negligible population that literally would move away or not take a job because of an arena. Richmond will not have everything, would it be great if it did? Sure. Would it be great to have an amazingly successful arena that doesn't cost the tax payers of Richmond a ton of money? Would it be great to have a 600ft tower downtown? Sure. But these aren't requirements for a thriving successful city and I have a perfect example: Richmond, VA.

• Like 3

One positive to come out of the  arena discussion is the marked increase in civic engagement by Richmond's citizens.  Whether pro or anti arena, there are a lot of people who care about what happens in Richmond's present and future and want the city to soar.  This is far cry from the apathetic, crime-ridden 1990s.  It's refreshing and encouraging to see how many thousands of people really care about civic issues and are demanding good government.  Bodes well for the city's future!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, Brent114 said:

The deal isn’t dead because it never had life.  

It was never real.  There was zero financial interest in it.  If you recall, not one developer responded to the RFP.  There were no architectural drawings (that weren't essentially Microsoft clip art ).  No businesses expressed an interest.  The only thing Richmond has lost is the adequate, albeit drab, Coliseum (that was once a state of the art arena that had zero economic impact on downtown). 

You want sports? Go to a Kickers game.  The city would be better served building a better soccer stadium (at least people go to see that).  The Squirles first order of business was to eliminate 1/4 of the seating at the Diamond so that games wouldn’t look unattended.   Richmond isn’t a spectator sports town.  It isn't likely to become one in the next 30-40 years either.  Our size and growth is relative.   We aren’t the only growing city and not every metro gets professional sports (what would be the honor in that?).  

I like concerts.  I’m a huge music snob.  The shows that I see out of town are at small venues.  Shows don’t bypass Richmond because there isn’t an arena.  They bypass Richmond because there are only x amount of dates on any given tour.  Geography, prestige and demand drive the tour.  Washington DC looks better on a t-shirt than Richmond.  If you can only have one stop in the area, you’re going to pick DC. 

The deal has life and is not dead.  I'll just have have to come back and say "I told you so" when the parties make the next move that is actually open for public consumption.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, meegwell said:

The deal has life and is not dead.  I'll just have have to come back and say "I told you so" when the parties make the next move that is actually open for public consumption.

Do you know something the rest of us don’t?  I’d love to see the project move forward as envisioned, but things seem to have stalled and that’s not good when money is involved.  Are things about to get moving again?

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Let me assure that this is not dead.  I attended a presentation a few weeks ago and was blown away by the behind-the-scenes progress. 

You have no idea how ecstatic I am to hear you say that (actually, I read it), but that gives me great hope!! :yahoo:

34 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Is it strange that the most exciting part for me is the raising of Leigh to the rest of the street grid? It's like a sunken highway crater that divides the two sides and creates a visual pedestrian barrier. If they fix that...wow.

While that excites me, I am very curious to see how that is handled in regards to Altria.

4 minutes ago, cbl1 said:

Thx JBJust for the info!

Just to clarify - I have in no way broken any confidences or confidentiality agreements.  This was a presentation to an organization and there were dozens of people in attendance.  I wish I had a copy of the PowerPoint I could share...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Could you imagine if the Diamond area was redeveloped, VCU put a football program at Redskins training field AND we had the Arena redevelopment going on?!  Cranes EVERYWHERE!

Is VCU considering moving their football program to Redskins training field?