New Richmond Arena

eandslee

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few of my thoughts as I contemplate what might be holding up this project:

At this point, the project just has to be presented before City Council real soon.  I think the "negotiations" are taking entirely too long and this project is at risk of dying.  If both parties can't agree with whatever is holding up progress to the next level then what's the point?  Hopefully, the two sides will come to an agreement soon or else I fear this is going to lose a lot of public support.  The mayor said back in Oct/Nov timeframe that the project would be presented to City Council in the "coming weeks."  Well, weeks have turned into months.  It's time to deliver the plan and it had better hold up to financial scrutiny or this will go the way of the many other major proposals before it.  The Bilder plan is a diversion...maybe even stall tactic to buy some more time...I don't know about you, but I'm getting frustrated with how slow the negotiations are going and fear that too slow could mean NO GO.  What is everyone else's take on what could be the hold up here?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, eandslee said:

Another interesting article on the coliseum and city finances

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/opinion-misplaced-priorities/Content?oid=14142361

Also, sorry if this is a repost, here is rather persuasive article on the proposed coliseum.

https://nocoliseum.com/

• Thanks 1

I’m torn because I would love to see a new arena, but I don’t want the citizens of Richmond to have their taxes raised to build it.  The city is going to do what it’s going to do.  I may walk away shaking my head in the end, but we’ll see how all of this goes down.  Not getting a new arena would be very frustrating and very disappointing though.

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

I’m torn because I would love to see a new arena, but I don’t want the citizens of Richmond to have their taxes raised to build it.  The city is going to do what it’s going to do.  I may walk away shaking my head in the end, but we’ll see how all of this goes down.  Not getting a new arena would be very frustrating and very disappointing though.

I agree that Richmond needs a new arena badly, but I want it done the right way.  Richmond's government has a history of doing things pretty much the opposite of the right way.  This, more than anything else, is what holds back the city and what must be solved if Richmond is going to ascend above its regional-city peers.

• Like 1

I think it’s safe to say that I will never see another arena in Richmond in my entire lifetime. I’m only 30 right now if I live another 40 years I highly doubt Richmond will still have a new arena. My hope for Richmond has sunk to the lowest possible level. I see the squirrels leaving next. Heck while we are at it let’s move vcu out of the city and into the counties. Let’s let everything leave and just forget Richmond ever existed. I’m sorry if I sound super negative but I am not feeling great about Richmond thriving if ever I don’t see Richmond ever having nice things ever. If anything I see Richmond going back to being another Detroit and seeing everything boarded up again or heck I even see Richmond getting the crime of Baltimore back again. Lets just get rid of Richmond and just level it. I have no hope or faith for this city and probably never will Until there is a mayor or city leader that can prove me otherwise which I highly doubt we will ever have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ugh.   I’ve been drawn back into the arena discussion...

This  “deal” falling apart is not an indictment of Richmond.  The proposal was never serious to begin with.  It was a pipe dream.  Arenas are not self sustainable, much less profitable. That’s why this proposal took revenue from other sources to pay for itself.   The city is better positioned now than it would be had this been built.   But it’s all moot.  The city hasn’t lost anything.  It’s on the same trajectory that it was on a year ago.  That trajectory is decidedly upward. 

2019 will be a banner year for construction and population growth.  Richmond could lose the Squirls and the Colesuim and still be just fine.  Arenas are obsolete (well for cities our size) and in no way grow a city.  Think of them as carts.  The city (horse)  must be able to pull the cart before saddled with it.  Richmond can’t (really no place can, there hasn’t been a truly profitable arena built in the history of spectator sports).  Outside developers weren’t turned away through some kind of obstruction at city hall.  This proposal was never market driven and none of it was really necessary (most of the buildings were just rebuilding existing structures but in different locations).   

Manchester,  Scott’s Addition, Jackson Ward, the Bottom and Union Hill are going nuts with development now.   I just took the Pulse back to my place  (Arts District stop) from the Science Museum (I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have walked, gorgeous day!).  It was standing room only on the bus.  It’s like that all the time.   Richmond is finally working again.  I’ve been here nearly 30 years and it has never been better, it has never looked better, it has never been more crowded, it’s future has never been so bright. 

And oh yeah... RIC now serves 4 million passengers a year. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

Ugh.   I’ve been drawn back into the arena discussion...
This  “deal” falling apart is not an indictment of Richmond.  The proposal was never serious to begin with.  It was a pipe dream.  Arenas are not self sustainable, much less profitable. That’s why this proposal took revenue from other sources to pay for itself.   The city is better positioned now than it would be had this been built.   But it’s all moot.  The city hasn’t lost anything.  It’s on the same trajectory that it was on a year ago.  That trajectory is decidedly upward. 
2019 will be a banner year for construction and population growth.  Richmond could lose the Squirls and the Colesuim and still be just fine.  Arenas are obsolete (well for cities our size) and in no way grow a city.  Think of them as carts.  The city (horse)  must be able to pull the cart before saddled with it.  Richmond can’t (really no place can, there hasn’t been a truly profitable arena built in the history of spectator sports).  Outside developers weren’t turned away through some kind of obstruction at city hall.  This proposal was never market driven and none of it was really necessary (most of the buildings were just rebuilding existing structures but in different locations).   
Manchester,  Scott’s Addition, Jackson Ward, the Bottom and Union Hill are going nuts with development now.   I just took the Pulse back to my place  (Arts District stop) from the Science Museum (I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have walked, gorgeous day!).  It was standing room only on the bus.  It’s like that all the time.   Richmond is finally working again.  I’ve been here nearly 30 years and it has never been better, it has never looked better, it has never been more crowded, it’s future has never been so bright. 

Everything you just said is the exact opposite of what Richmond is and will becomes just wait it will end up like Baltimore and Detroit it won’t have anything fun or anything worth going to. Richmond is nothing more than an absolute joke why anyone would ever even think about moving to such an awful metro is beyond me. It’s literally the absolute most boring metro Of any midsized city in this country. You can dream all you want about organic city growth and a bunch of stuff you consider a pipe dream reality is that all Richmond will ever be is another Detroit and Baltimore with everything boarded up again like the 90s. We will never have anyone worth a hoot to steer this city in the right direction because there is nobody that can or is competent to do such a thing. It’s probably the most backwards and the most incompetent I midsized city I have ever lived in. I wish it would thrive I wish it would take off and grow like wildfire but the reality is it never will and never will get anything right ever. I’m sorry I’m negative but I have no faith no hope in the city ever becoming anything. It’s just another awful city that can’t see how to make itself thrive if it hit them in the face.

• Like 1

Richmond won’t become like Baltimore or Detroit because both of those cities have arenas and professional sports :) 

If a lack of arena is what is holding Richmond back, explain why Baltimore and Detroit aren’t , by your assessment, entertainment Mecca’s? 

Richmond has a great bond rating, a growing GDP and a growing population.  That’s not my opinion.  

• Like 1

I get that not having the arena built now is a disappointment and I don’t mean to make light of your disappointment.   Sure.  There’sd be more things to do, occasionally, if there was one.  

You  shouldn’t  look at this like Richmond  lost out on new investment.  There was never any outside interest in this kind of development for Richmond.  Lots of outside investment is flowing into the city in other areas though.   Lots. 

Arenas are hard to fund because they don't make any money. 

So yesterday the news of the arena hit me pretty hard i just want to apologize for being so dramatic about it. I just want this town to have as much entertainment as possible. I just hate that I would have to drive to dc or Charlottesville for a major concert. I was really hoping we would be able to have an arena or some sort to draw major concerts and I want hockey back more than anything I miss being able to go to see the original Richmond renegades games back in the 90s it just upsets me richmond can’t get itself together. I just feel so hopeless that we will never have hockey ever again or heck o even enjoyed the arena football games and I’ve seen a lot of concerts in the past at the coliseum I just feel like it’s being taken away from me and that I won’t be able to experience that here ever again. All I’m saying is I want more options to bring stuff here. When we lost the Richmond braves I was extremely upset being a lifetime braves fan and if we lose the squirrels then I will feel like there won’t be anything fun left here for me to do. I’m not an arts or theatre guy that’s never been my cup of tea. I’ve always been into enjoying a good pro sports event even if it’s a lower tiered league. I also had a friend they found out that the Atlantic 10 commissioner had said the womens tournament won’t be back till 2022 or 2023 here in Richmond which made me feel lik something good was about to happen. It just irks me when I feel like Richmond is about to go somewhere it goes so far back in time like it’s stuck in the Stone Age. I just don’t want to be driving to dc or Norfolk or Charlottesville for the rest of my life just to catch an event at an arena. It’s just pathetic that a metro with 1.3 million people can’t have an arena. I mean there is no excuse our metro of 1.3 million people should be without any type of arena or civic center. It just makes me so mad that we can’t get the ball on the right track and it just really disappoints me. I don’t get how or why Richmond has to be so dysfunctional.

• Like 2

I'm really kind of over the Coliseum development. Richmond's doing great and we haven't had a great arena in a while. Were we really thriving on the Garth Brooks concerts and random sports events that come through over the last 10 years? Was an arena the reason people have moved to Richmond? No. We have seen over 10% growth in the past 7 years, that more growth the city has experienced in 50 years. People come here for jobs and the enjoy the entertainment we do have. Like a leading restaurant and  arts scene, amazing outdoor opportunities, our history and our overall great urban neighborhoods. I'd rather demolish the whole thing and sell the land. We don't need these mega projects coming in, we are thriving as it is. You can say "Oh but Richmond won't become a great city if we don't push ourselves" but we already are a great city and becoming better. If you think a giant arena and large scale apartment complexes are going to make our break Richmond, I think you need to reevaluate your views.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really kind of over the Coliseum development. Richmond's doing great and we haven't had a great arena in a while. Were we really thriving on the Garth Brooks concerts and random sports events that come through over the last 10 years? Was an arena the reason people have moved to Richmond? No. We have seen over 10% growth in the past 7 years, that more growth the city has experienced in 50 years. People come here for jobs and the enjoy the entertainment we do have. Like a leading restaurant and  arts scene, amazing outdoor opportunities, our history and our overall great urban neighborhoods. I'd rather demolish the whole thing and sell the land. We don't need these mega projects coming in, we are thriving as it is. You can say "Oh but Richmond won't become a great city if we don't push ourselves" but we already are a great city and becoming better. If you think a giant arena and large scale apartment complexes are going to make our break Richmond, I think you need to reevaluate your views.

Depends on what your into me I’m not a weird. History buff some weird art dude. I’m into sports and entertainment. The city shouldn’t cater to just a certain group of people. It’s a very one way to be with a certain group of people. I want hockey back more than anything I want to see more huge concerts at a new arena and by the way there’s been way more big concerts at the coliseum then Garth brooks just using just that one as an example doesn’t nearly explain the whole story of the coliseum and what it has done in the past. My mom and dad saw Elvis when the coliseum first opened my dad said that it was insanely packed when they first went. It’s all about the broader picture of what a new arena would bring not just one or two dinky examples like you mentioned. It’s all about the broader view of what it would bring and draw. People want more entertainment not everyone is into art or history. It would be nice to have a new arena to cater to people who are into sports and entertainment.

• Like 4

I agree with Downtowner.   I dont understand how a metro of 1.3 million does not have an arena.  I am from Erie, PA that has a metro of approx 300k ... but they have Double AA baseball, OHL hockey that produces several NHL Stars such as Connor Mcdavid, Arena Football team and an NBA G-league team.   Richmond is also missing out on several entertaining tours for young families like Disney on Ice, Harlem Globetrotters and Cirque du Soleil... 

So is it a given that this proposal is now dead?  Should we give up hope?

I know its a long shot but was hoping that the new arena may bring an NBA team down the road... Revive the Virginia Squires franchise!!

• Like 3

Richmond has the VCU Rams, UR, and VUU with athletics programs to get your sporting fix from. AA Squirrels for baseball.  Outdoor amphitheaters and indoor venues abound for live music and entertainment.  If I really want to see a major act, I don’t have a problem driving two hours to the political epicenter of Planet Earth so I don’t miss out.

Edited by vaceltic
  • Thanks 1