eandslee

New Richmond Arena

I thought Navy Hill was just to support Beyoncé fans … you mean other people are going to come to the city?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

another article from RTD https://www.richmond.com/news/local/proposed-coliseum-replacement-hasn-t-passed-richmond-city-council-yet/article_a9b37f50-47df-5084-b38f-b8af74bce4f2.html

Management company who has been selected to run the new coliseum will cover any operational loses (although they expect the arena to make money year 1).  This is same company that manages the convention center.  They have also agreed to spend $8 million furnishing the new arena.

Edited by cbl1
  • Like 4

Latest news is that City Council will not vote on the Navy Hill development until early next year (2020).  What does that mean?  Not sure.  Hopefully, it means early January, but I doubt it.   It could still be a long road ahead folks!

• Sad 1

Well, it looks like it won’t be until at least March 2020 before we know, one way or another, whether the Navy Hill project will finally be built.  Council is hiring an independent contractor to review the plan which will have 90 days to provide council a verdict on their findings.  Funny, because despite all the objectivity the council is seeking, no matter what the findings are, at least two members of council will vote “no” on the project.  So why even go through the objective studies if it won’t cause council members to vote one way or another?  It seems like just a waste of time.  Anyway, happy waiting!  Reference article below:

http://m.richmondfreepress.com/news/2019/nov/22/pushback/

After 90 days, the City will hire an independent contractor to review this independent contractor's findings.  Which by the way will take 90 days to review.  Does this sound familiar?

• Haha 2

Of course your voice counts.   Spread the word to your friends in who live Richmond. 

Great video!  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

Ed Slipek, architectural critic for Style Weekly, has a write up in the most current Style and linked that below.  There are 15 points, questions, etc. that he goes over, tries to run the middle here by asking some "against it" questions and some "what if happens" questions.  He has some good ideas, suggestions, etc. that may be useful or perhaps ammunition against it.  After reading this I had even more questions and concerns unfortunately. 

I wish there was an easy answer for this development.  If citizens are wary and don't trust it, then how will anything presented be trusted.  If citizens are for it, I believe there's not much that could be done to convince them to turn against it.  What's the tipping point to get people to like it, I wonder and don't know if anything exists that would.  He makes some good early points about replacement options, and asks questions like "why was the coliseum shut down?"  "what's wrong with the coliseum?" or asking to  provide performance of historical data on the coliseum to compare for a new vs other arenas.  I think all this should be available and likely is out there already for consumption.  

I've worked as a team member with architects, builders & contractors on big projects and luckily it seems, none of my experiences were ever with the backdrop of citizens.  My experience was with boards, owners, teams assigned to build a project for an owner, etc.. but never like this, and I see now how very thankful I should be.  Moving a project forward  is hard enough without the pressure of pleasing the citizenry, the tax payers, the public at large, etc.  

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/15-questions/Content?oid=15340696

• Like 3

Looks like City Council has hired their own independent consulting firm to study the NH Project. It’s the typical study of the study of the study because no one can make up their own minds...they don’t know how to do their job!  This move just costs more time as this firm will now have 90 days to review the proposal. I think that makes at least three independent groups to do a study of this proposal and this one is clearly a waste of money (~$190K)!!  Just get on with the vote already!!  No one really cares anymore, so just vote “yes” and build it already!

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/richmond-city-council-selects-consultant-to-review-b-navy-hill/article_170921d9-fa74-54f2-b02a-3d93feaf4fc1.html

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Richmonder23 said:

I think that's the fundamental issue with the folks who are anti-Navy Hill. They just don't want Richmond to grow or change. They like things exactly the way they are, and will grumble about any new, large project that comes by.

But the schools!!

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Turn the schools to private or home school your friggin kids.  Problem solved.  :D 

Ordinance proposal:  Children under 18 years of age shall be restricted from city limits all hours outside of Sat-Sun 9am-5pm (special allowances for Squirrels games) :)

Schools are a valid issue to be concerned about.  We should be trying to give kids good education. Also schools are a huge reason for population loss in RVA.

However, preventing the NH development isn't going to change the concentration of poverty that plague our schools. If anything I think this project will be a longterm benefit for the schools and the city. 

I'd like to see the people so upset about schools redirect their frustration towards RRHA.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Schools are a valid issue to be concerned about.  We should be trying to give kids good education. Also schools are a huge reason for population loss in RVA.

However, preventing the NH development isn't going to change the concentration of poverty that plague our schools. If anything I think this project will be a longterm benefit for the schools and the city. 

I'd like to see the people so upset about schools redirect their frustration towards RRHA.

DING DING! Housing directly tied to development of school's infrastructure. 

Edited by DalWill

7 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

My understanding from school advocates is the concern with concentration of poverty plaguing the schools is a separate issue from Navy Hill and not related. It’s about the absolutely decrepit physical condition of the schools themselves A nd disrepair because maintenance has been deferred for years and years ~ now all of a sudden Richmond is capable of funding an arena with $600 million in debt.  Local news outlets and the public have been highlighting this as a priority for quite a while now.

21 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

My two cents on the schools (which are an entirely separate issue from the Navy Hill proposal).  Richmond public schools spend more per student than any other school system in the Commonwealth.  The results they achieve do not suggest any link between high spending and high academic achievement.  The reality is that fixing Richmond's public schools is an extraordinarily complex issue.  Improving the physical plant of the schools will not solve it on its own.  Decades of bad policy, generational poverty, and misguided efforts will take a herculean effort to reverse.  Quite frankly, it is beyond the capability of the City to solve it.  For an interesting analysis of the schools in greater Richmond, current UVa president James Ryan's "Five Miles Apart" is an insightful read.  It compares Douglas Freeman and Thomas Jefferson, using it as a microcosm for Richmond and national education policies.  As Ryan argues, many of the issues Richmond faces are entrenched and a few million extra dollars will not move the needle.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

My two cents on the schools (which are an entirely separate issue from the Navy Hill proposal).  Richmond public schools spend more per student than any other school system in the Commonwealth.  The results they achieve do not suggest any link between high spending and high academic achievement.  The reality is that fixing Richmond's public schools is an extraordinarily complex issue.  Improving the physical plant of the schools will not solve it on its own.  Decades of bad policy, generational poverty, and misguided efforts will take a herculean effort to reverse.  Quite frankly, it is beyond the capability of the City to solve it.  For an interesting analysis of the schools in greater Richmond, current UVa president James Ryan's "Five Miles Apart" is an insightful read.  It compares Douglas Freeman and Thomas Jefferson, using it as a microcosm for Richmond and national education policies.  As Ryan argues, many of the issues Richmond faces are entrenched and a few million extra dollars will not move the needle.  

You are correct. It is a complex issue with many layers. The state for sure needs to shoulder more burden. And fixing the physical plant alone will not fix the academic achievement of the students in the system. However, it IS a step, one of many, that is needed for success. Generations of students have gone without, and even now, Richmond schools have broken chairs, rat infestations, roof leaks, and broken heating/ac systems. This Washington Post article sums up a lot of the issues plaguing Richmond Schools today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/borderline-criminal-thats-the-condition-of-decrepit-public-schools/2019/05/25/bad60064-556f-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html

I do not know why funds are not there to fix these issues. Is the school board inappropriately allocating resources? Is the district itself mismanaging funds? Is the city not approving enough money for them? The state for sure needs to kick in more. It’s probably all of the above. But a lot of naysayers believe the administration has misplaced its priorities in funding the arena over existing schools assets. 

Some research is showing the TIF district setup may actually reduce state funding to City schools, because increased property tax value collection means less state aid is needed, based on the current state allocation formula. This is happening in several other cities across the country. Any increased property tax the city would get from Navy Hill goes to pay the arena bond debt first, with no guarantee of payback into the General Fund until year 31. This potentially means less and less funds from the state will be available to Richmond schools every year, requiring the City to either fill the funding gap from somewhere else, or wait until the arena bond debt is paid to see a material difference in capital spending on schools. 

Edited by vaceltic
  • Thanks 1