New Richmond Arena

eandslee

6 minutes ago, Icetera said:

No one moving on call from 5th floor.  About half VCU kids against in here, though.

At least one speaker is honest.  They simply do not want people and development coming into the city.

Yeah, that lady.....then why would she live in a city?? Even Charlottesville has an arena.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Icetera said:

So many not understanding why rents are increasing.  You cannot gentrify an area that currently has nothing organic to displace.

Rents could actually go down if enough housing were built to get closer to saturation. We witnessed this in Atlanta...housing was cheaper there because there was more of it.

• Like 3

I also feel like letting the opposition speak first is skewed. I guess it would be too hard to have sides alternate...1 in favor and 1 opposed. It's going to take forever. 

Not one person has said one thing about what happens if it fails. So everyone is ok with letting these properties rot... and the city spending money to maintain a useless coliseum? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I also feel like letting the opposition speak first is skewed. I guess it would be too hard to have sides alternate...1 in favor and 1 opposed. It's going to take forever. 

Not one person has said one thing about what happens if it fails. So everyone is ok with letting these properties rot... and the city spending money to maintain a useless coliseum? 

A lot of it seems to be more about being against Dominion Energy rather than the plan itself.

A lot of supporters just went down.  Not a public speaker myself so will stick with witnessing. 

Looks like Reva and Kim bailed somewhere after the antis so supporters get to start without their presence.  Opposition is being rude as well, which was not the case prior.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I assume after the bathroom break...

Did you speak? I didn't, but feel the pro-side was well represented.

I was the terrified "I hate public speaking" guy.  Just wanted the tally for pro.

I skydive and bungy jump, but that terrifies me!

Many other items prior to these ordinances so may be a while for vote.  Session starting again now.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t foresee any change on votes. The project appears to be getting shot down. This is a very sad state of the city and city council. Nothing anyone said tonight changed anyone’s mind. The votes against the proposal appear to be very emotional and personal with no real reason (other than personal feelings) for the votes to strike the ordinances. Just ridiculous. They are shooting this city down...willingly. Sad. 

It’s dead. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2